Awkward/Bad Interview at Top Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moogash

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am interviewing for IM categorical programs right now. I recently interviewed at my top choice! However, I think I totally botched one of the interviews. It was a 15 minute interview and the lady asked me a question about something in my PS and I sort of rambled a bit and did not really answer it. I have no idea what I was thinking, I was definitely nervous. However, I rebounded and the rest of our time together went quite well (IMO :dead:; she may have just thought I was a total *****). There was a second interview (30 minutes) that I feel I did very well on.

I have been told on the interview trail that I am a really good interviewer, but I feel like I kind of screwed this one up at my top choice.

Can anyone speak to how one bad interview can influence program ranking? Other than that, I feel as though I made a great impression on the other residents I interacted with at the dinner the night before and the interview day. In addition, a highly influential faculty member at my current facility was formerly on faculty at this place for ~25 years, and she put in a good word for me.

Does one bad interview wreck my chances of matching at an upper mid-tier/high-tier program?

Any input from @aProgDirector @gutonc or others involved in the ranking process would be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Either the guy thinks you rebounded well, or he didn't, or he didn't even notice that you rambled on. If you have 10 great things on your side, then one 30 second ramble probably isn't gonna outweigh that. Or maybe you are overestimating your competitiveness and you needed to knock the interview out of the park to match there.

Bottom line is your guess is as good as anyone else's. Every program ranks candidates differently. We can make something up to make you feel better, but all will be revealed on Match Day.

Reactions: 3 users
Most of the time, the only one who thinks you botched the interview is you. In any case, there's nothing to do about it now. Rank the program wherever you want. Don't rank it lower because you think you won't match there -- that's not the way the match works.

Reactions: 3 users
FWIW, I ended up matching at this program! For any future applicants who come across this post, don’t let one bad interview get to you. I wasted a lot of time beating myself up for no reason!

Reactions: 9 users