share your funny/awkward interview stories here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverinHighlander

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the interview trail might bring out the crazy in all of us.

My two most memorable experiences:

1) A few residents from one program invited some of us out after the pre-interview dinner. There was one chief who I had been talking to quite a bit throughout the evening. I thought he was just a friendly guy, although noticed he was definitely hitting the ETOH a little hard. I realized I may have misread his uh, friendliness when, to my absolute horror, he staggered up to the front of the bar and proceeded to "serenade" me. Apparently, the administrative chief got wind of the incident, because she apologized profusely on his behalf the next day. I encouraged her to please go easy on the guy- he's clearing having some life issues.

2) I'm originally from Scotland, and am pretty used to people trying to get me to say certain words. One interviewer peppered me with a series of phrases he wanted me to say- a little weird for an interview. He then concluded , "you sound more like you're from Australia." Then he went on to ask me a bunch of random trivia about Scotland, and told me my answers were wrong. Lol. I get that he probably knows more about medicine than I do, but I did sit through enough social studies classes as a child to trump him in that area. I tried to play along, but I'm sure my facial expression was saying "wtf?"

Members don't see this ad.