Awkward situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

So I'm in an awkward situation with my research group I am currently working in.

I have been working with the same advisor for about 2 years and have been getting credit for my research each semester at school.

Each semsester I worked with the advisor, I was given a grade that counted towards my GPA. Each semester it had been an A, and all had been fine.

But I just got my grades for this semseter, and I was given an A-, which severely affected my GPA.

I think one of the reasons why i was given lower this semseter, was i accidently did something wrong while i was in the lab while she was there. Now, I was wondering if you would suggest that I talk to her about this grade. I don't want to sound like a grade-grubber or anything, but it came quite a shock to me when she gave the grade to me. I don't want to ruin our relationship, but I really don't know what to do beacuse my GPA did take a turn for the worse.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly how does one 3.7 out of several 4.0s severely affect your grade?

perhaps you should ask her about it but you should also chill out.

Members don't see this ad :)
medicin said:
hey all,

So I'm in an awkward situation with my research group I am currently working in.

I have been working with the same advisor for about 2 years and have been getting credit for my research each semester at school.

Each semsester I worked with the advisor, I was given a grade that counted towards my GPA. Each semester it had been an A, and all had been fine.

But I just got my grades for this semseter, and I was given an A-, which severely affected my GPA.

I think one of the reasons why i was given lower this semseter, was i accidently did something wrong while i was in the lab while she was there. Now, I was wondering if you would suggest that I talk to her about this grade. I don't want to sound like a grade-grubber or anything, but it came quite a shock to me when she gave the grade to me. I don't want to ruin our relationship, but I really don't know what to do beacuse my GPA did take a turn for the worse.

Here is some advice. GET OVER IT! People with B+ averages get into medical school, which is what I assume you want to do. An A- will not hurt you.

Looking around this board, I'd say you'll have a hard time finding sympathy on this one. Suck it up, and keep your relationship strong with your research profs who gave you the A-. A great LOR from them will way, way more than an A vs. A-.

medicin said:
hey all,

If after 2 years an A- affects your grade I think you are ok.

This is one of the most useless threads and is so completely stupid I actually don't believe you.

ti89 said:
If after 2 years an A- affects your grade I think you are ok.

This is one of the most useless threads and is so completely stupid I actually don't believe you.

Yeah... I'm having trouble believing him too.

An A-?? Hmm... I think it is time to consider calling Dr. Kevorkian. Your life has no worth now.

every A- i got severely affected my gpa.....brought it right up each time :smuggrin:

By posting this message it is obvious that you are a grade grubber. Shut your mouth and deal with it.

1 credit class "severely" affected the GPA???

I think the best thing is to approach her and ask how you can improve, what you can do differently in the future to avoid the dreaded A- (lol). In other words, find a diplomatic way to ask "WTF is wrong with you I deserve an A you **** **** ****."

Members don't see this ad :)
medicin said:
hey all,

You are either being a troll or severely demented. If you are stressed about a single A-, then you are going to be in for the shock of your life in med school. Perhaps you are not ready for such a high stress career path. Those who have already had their bouts with mediocrity before they get there tend to fare much better.

Law2Doc said:
You are either being a troll or severely demented. If you are stressed about a single A-, then you are going to be in for the shock of your life in med school. Perhaps you are not ready for such a high stress career path. Those who have already had their bouts with mediocrity before they get there tend to fare much better.

Law2Doc, if its ok with you I'm going to use this phrase at least once a week. It sounds like so combative, "yeah that test was hard for me, a real bout with mediocrity."

Law2Doc said:

My guess is a troll. Just take a look at the post history, particularly the thread complaining about non science majors.

medicin said:
hey all,

If I were you, I'd march into her office and get mad as hell and refuse to leave until she changes your grade. That is completely unacceptable.

bugmenot said:
If I were you, I'd march into her office and get mad as hell and refuse to leave until she changes your grade. That is completely unacceptable.

Or he could go on a hunger strike outside her office :laugh:

bbas said:
My guess is a troll. Just take a look at the post history, particularly the thread complaining about non science majors.

sure sign of a troll...making a jacka$$ comment and then never returning to the thread to respond to anyone...

Before he does anything he needs to stand out in the rain and shout at the top of his lungs:

A MINUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSS!!!!!!!!

Fist shaking at the sky for dramatic effect is a must.

An A- cannot affect your GPA that much assuming this is not your first semester. Given your post, it's not. That said, let's say you had 64 hours completed with a 4.0. That A- (assuming a one credit course...I don't know I'd give you any more than 2 for research). would put you at 65 hours with a 3.99. So, you are either academically unstable, or you are a troll

Med_Leviathan said:
Or he could go on a hunger strike outside her office :laugh:

:laugh: That's a great one, why didn't I ever do that?? :confused:

131079746_c1a4b933f0_o.gif
<- OP

Weee! This thread is the highlight of my day!

If I was you, I wouldn't fight for the grade. But I would bring it up in my personal statement. It's horrible grades like that that keep people out of med school. Be sure to mention it repeatly in your interviews even if the question doesn't prompt a response like that. For instance, if the interviewer says "What do you think the most important issue in modern healthcare research is?" Be sure to answer "The fact that I got an A-. How could anyone give such a brilliant mind as mine an A-. If this is the caliber of person we have performing research in this country, surely this is the reason we haven't cured cancer."

Or maybe you just want to go get on food stamps now, because I doubt you'll even get as far as the interview.

Anastasis said:
Be sure to mention it repeatly in your interviews even if the question doesn't prompt a response like that. For instance, if the interviewer says "What do you think the most important issue in modern healthcare research is?" Be sure to answer "The fact that I got an A-. How could anyone give such a brilliant mind as mine an A-. If this is the caliber of person we have performing research in this country, surely this is the reason we haven't cured cancer."

The better approach would be to act like Marlon Brando's character in Apocalypse Now, and after bringing up the A- in an interview shake your head and mutter "the horror, the horror" over and over again. Should really let them know how you feel about it. And I can almost guarantee you will stand out.

i know why you got an A-.

because the professor is ****ing with you.

it's not hard to imagine that those you work with probably know that you're just a little overly-concerned about your GPA and being a perfect premed.

there's probably a betting pool to see if you will keep quiet about it or start whining.

Anastasis said:
If I was you, I wouldn't fight for the grade. But I would bring it up in my personal statement. It's horrible grades like that that keep people out of med school. Be sure to mention it repeatly in your interviews even if the question doesn't prompt a response like that. For instance, if the interviewer says "What do you think the most important issue in modern healthcare research is?" Be sure to answer "The fact that I got an A-. How could anyone give such a brilliant mind as mine an A-. If this is the caliber of person we have performing research in this country, surely this is the reason we haven't cured cancer."

Or maybe you just want to go get on food stamps now, because I doubt you'll even get as far as the interview.

You made my freaking day Anastasis!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hahaha nothing like SDN people ripping people apart for stupid comments. I totally agree though, and the funniest part is the use of the word "severely" How can an A- severely affect your GPA?

Grades aren't as big a deal as people think. People who are obsessed with A's need to chill out and get a life. Go get wasted every once in a while, go play some golf, go get laid, do something besides obsess over loosing your 4.0 because in the end, nobody cares! :laugh:

My advice: take this A- as a blessing in disguise. Now you will have answer to the interview question about personal failures. Not only that but you can probably apply disadvantaged status now. As an added bonus, adcoms won't think you're a tool for having a 4.0 GPA.

hey i'm pretty new to sdn as u can see from my post count, but what does troll mean here? or does it not have any meaning?

ironmanf14 said:
hey i'm pretty new to sdn as u can see from my post count, but what does troll mean here? or does it not have any meaning?
Troll is someone who posts inflamatory things just to get people riled up. I think the term is actually defined on Wikipedia if you want a better description.

Edit: Yup and here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

stoic said:
i know why you got an A-.

because the professor is ****ing with you.

it's not hard to imagine that those you work with probably know that you're just a little overly-concerned about your GPA and being a perfect premed.

there's probably a betting pool to see if you will keep quiet about it or start whining.

i'd actually really agree with this. having been a TA, and having trained kids in the lab that i work in (and thus given great input into the grade they get for "credit" for working instead of pay), i'd bet on the bet theory, since i've done that before. and the pool is probably based partially on when you start whining, partially on how you go about whining, and how long you continue to whine.

that aside, you admit you f'ed up something in the lab. therefore, why would you deserve an A? sure, we all make mistakes, but A's are for PERFECT. and you, self admittedly, were not perfect. so why do you even claim to deserve a perfect grade?

don't screw up a great LOR by bitching. chill the f' out!

there should be a way for the collective wisdom of sane SDNers to be used to bar people like this from applying to med school... get rid of the gunners early instead of going through the trouble of ostracizing them

To the OP: I was in a similar position during my junior year, when I had gotten an A- in my research internship that would have dropped my GPA "severely" (guess that word has different meaning to people in different positions). In any case, I contacted the PI and the coordinator of the research internship separately with a simple request to meet with them. I met with the coordinator first, and I asked him what I did wrong, asked to see a rubric, and sought suggestions to do better so that I didn't get an A- during the next semester; he answered all my questions and gave me good advice. I then met with my PI and asked her the same questions. At the end of our meeting, however, she said something to the effect of, "Doesn't an A- bring your GPA up?" I then explained that I had a 3.989 GPA and the 3.7 brought it down to something like a 3.83. She didn't say anything in response, but when I logged into AAI (our grade-checking program) the next day, the A- had been changed to an A.

My advice? Don't go in there whining about how you need an A to get into Hahhvahd or whatever, 'cause that isn't going to get you any sympathy. Just meet with people responsible for the grade and show them that you want to improve and try to figure out why you got an A-... maybe it'll all work out for the best.

Good luck!

Keg said:
I then explained that I had a 3.989 GPA and the 3.7 brought it down to something like a 3.83. She didn't say anything in response, but when I logged into AAI (our grade-checking program) the next day, the A- had been changed to an A.

Just curious, but how does one 3.7 bring down three years worth of 4.0's?

PA Runner said:

Very good point. Unless that research was worth a lot of credits, I don't think you could go down from a 3.989 to a 3.83 from one A-

Avalanche21 said:
Very good point. Unless that research was worth a lot of credits, I don't think you could go down from a 3.989 to a 3.83 from one A-

It's not mathematically possible.

PA Runner said:

The research was worth 5 hours in my major... I can't remember if I figured it to be BCPM or overall (or in-major), but in any case, I had 36 hours of AP credit coming in that wasn't counted for GPA purposes, so I had taken the bare minimum of coursework each semester... I think at that point, when the grades came in, I had something like 53 hours of graded coursework, and when AAI reported it, it was in the low 3.8's without some of the hours from that semester in yet.

And I didn't have a 4.0 at that point, I had received an A- in a class during the second semester of my sophomore year, so my starting GPA was lower than 4.0.

In any case, for the OP, the end result was the same, and I came out of college with only the A- from my sophomore year on my transcript.

i can't believe people are still posting stuff in this worthless thread......including me :laugh: