Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have a prior EKG? If there's a recent one and these are new changes, I'd probably do IV nitroglycerin and admit to tele. If there's no recent EKG, I would repeat in 20 or so minutes. If the second EKG is stable I would give oral BP meds (or a push of 20 mg labetalol if my hospitalist would freak out at the BP number) and admit to obs for serial trop and stress/ECHO.How would you guys manage the following patient?
mid-60s lady comes in via EMS for chest pain. Received NTG en route w/o significant change. MAP persistantly in the 130s. She looks completely comfortable but has ongoing central chest pressure. Has a long history of resistant hypertension (last visit was two years ago for visual changes and her pressure was 250/90 then) but states it had been pretty well controlled until she ran out of her meds a month ago. EKG shows LVH w/ lateral ST depression and TWI (looks like lvh w/ strain but no previous to compare). CXR shows some cardiomegaly w/o any other signs of failure and trop (high sens) is negative.