AZ Board meeting and drug test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlh08b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to appear before the board due to some legal issues that I had over a decade ago. I have no clue what to expect. I was previously on Texas Board of Pharmacy probation for a decade, never had any issues. Anyone have any idea what the board normally does with someone with a criminal record when in college, but has not been in trouble since? Random question but i am STILL dealing with getting arrested as a 19 year old. If anyone can give me any feedback I would appreciate it. I have no clue if they will drug test me, make me join PAPA or just let me go about my business. Hopefully the last one, but Pharm Boards suck so I am not very hopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

They aren't the Texas Board by any stretch of the imagination in terms of being jerks. You should watch some of the conferences (they tape them as a matter of public record) to get an idea. I'm assuming that you are a pharmacist. They tend to be dismissive of technician license requests and will usually them down.

On personnel:
1. McAllister is a hardass and easily the most senior member of the group even though he is not the incumbent president. Expect him to give you somewhat of a rough time. He hasn't mellowed any more than his hair has grown since the day I met him in Sierra Vista. I'd expect him to be the harshest depending on what your offense was.

2. Kennedy was my old RxS for Phoenix West (when there was a Phoenix West, who knows) and was the manager for the posh Fountain Hills Greyhawk. He is going to be tightly professional, but he will not pile on excessively.

3. Van Hassel is old-school and probably one of if not the most respected of the incumbent hospital pharmacy directors out there in AZ overseeing Yuma. I would make a point not to be a jerk to him. He had no problem doing the hard ethical thing taking out the trash when his own clinical coordinator willfully violated the laws.

Be honest, be open, be contrite, and be willing to be humble and apologize and commit that you are doing better and this will remain strictly in the past. If you are evasive for any reason, expect them to table your transfer (which usually means that you cannot resume it).

Act like Van Hassel's old Clinical Coordinator: Bob Goodwillie, and that's the tone you should set. The Board actually recommended Revocation, but he got off with a Suspension due to his extremely contrite presentation.

This is the usual way the conference works out. McAllister is the incumbent President and is the one I'd hate to face if I screwed up that hard. Yours will not be anywhere near that difficult unless there were repeated violations in your past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They aren't the Texas Board by any stretch of the imagination in terms of being jerks. You should watch some of the conferences (they tape them as a matter of public record) to get an idea. I'm assuming that you are a pharmacist. They tend to be dismissive of technician license requests and will usually them down.
On personnel:
1. McAllister is a hardass and easily the most senior member of the group even though he is not the incumbent president. Expect him to give you somewhat of a rough time. He hasn't mellowed any more than his hair has grown since the day I met him in Sierra Vista. I'd expect him to be the harshest depending on what your offense was.
2. Kennedy was my old RxS for Phoenix West (when there was a Phoenix West, who knows) and was the manager for the posh Fountain Hills Greyhawk. He is going to be tightly professional, but he will not pile on excessively.
3. Van Hassel is old-school and probably one of if not the most respected of the incumbent hospital pharmacy directors out there in AZ overseeing Yuma. I would make a point not to be a jerk to him. He had no problem doing the hard ethical thing taking out the trash when his own clinical coordinator willfully violated the laws.
Be honest, be open, be contrite, and be willing to be humble and apologize and commit that you are doing better and this will remain strictly in the past. If you are evasive for any reason, expect them to table your transfer (which usually means that you cannot resume it).
Act like Van Hassel's old Clinical Coordinator: Bob Goodwillie, and that's the tone you should set. The Board actually recommended Revocation, but he got off with a Suspension due to his extremely contrite presentation.
This is the usual way the conference works out. McAllister is the incumbent President and is the one I'd hate to face if I screwed up that hard. Yours will not be anywhere near that difficult unless there were repeated violations in your past.
Wow, just wow. I'll save this video under a folder on my desktop "Even more reasons not to move to Arizona"

Kudos to McAllister for shutting down that baseless "There absolutely was risk!!! If I was the family member I'd be irate!" outburst like that. I thought that board member was totally out of line. Sensationalism and emotional pleas like that have no business being used in a board hearing.

... I'd much rather be given a med that's been expired for 3 days then have a drug addicted / alcoholic physician caring for me.

EDIT:
Hahaha, what's the deal with the R2D2 in the back?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I definitely dont plan pissing anyone off. I got in trouble for a theft and a possession of marijuana back in 2006. Was on pharmacy probation until I received my pharmD license. I have records of drug test and letters of support from the tx board program. I am not too worried about it. Completely realize that I made stupid mistakes as a young lad, and know I have to humble myself and ask for the opportunity to be a pharmacist. Hopefully they see a difference and dont place me in the PAPA program.

They definitely look like a group of people who dont want to deal with nonsense. I honestly just want to work.

On personnel:

Reactions: 1 user