AZCOM Class of 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out who will be attending AZCOM this Fall. I for one am extremely excited to be moving down to the Southwest in the middle of the Summer. But they say it is a dry heat, you know like a large blast furnace kind of dry heat. Anyway, post a reply if you have been accepted and plan to attend. I look forward to meeting you in person in the very near future.

Wade
AZCOM Class of 2005

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, glad to know someone else from Idaho is going to AZCOM. My fiance and I are excited to go to this school. I know of only one other person going from Idaho (they are from Pocatello.) Anyway, I hope the heat doesn't get to me too much. Who else is going to AZCOM? Feel free to post a reply.

Congratulations to you both for choosing AZCOM!!! I am deep into the first year at AZCOM and don't regret one moment. Dry heat, "schmy" heat, you'll be too busy to notice...I promise. But I can tell you it's January and the weather is absolutely stunning. Nothing like walking cross campus at 11pm enjoying what little part of the day that there is left (in jeans and a sweatshirt, no less...no more).

These next few months will be unbearably long for you both, waiting is the hard part. But once you start, hold on to your socks...'cause you're in for the ride of your life!!!

I look forward to meeting you both next August, or sooner if you'll be on campus. Let me know if I can help you with anything. There are several of us that plan to help out with the "newbees" once there on board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. Do most of the AZCOM students stay in student housing, rent off campus, or buy a home. Since I live in Idaho , it is not really that realistic for me to fly down and look at places to live though I will if I have to. If anyone has any recommedations, I would greatly appreciate them. I must admit, the waiting is excruciating. I am so excited to start on my journey to becoming a physician. I also have questions on health insurance but that question can wait for awhile. Anyone going to AZCOM, feel free to post.

Ryan
AZCOM Class 2005

Boise Doc
I chose to live on campus initially because I was not from the area and like you could not afford several "house hunting" trips. I live in one of the luxuary apartments and have no regrets. The standard apartments are way too small and do not have washers and dryers, and my laundry room days are long gone. My rent is higher than the standard apartments but the convenience is SO WORTH it. I spent $6.00 on gas last month!!! And the convenience of walking over to the library or gross lab any time of day or night has been invaulable to me.

Many of my friends live off campus and there are some really good deals near the school. Additionally, there is a new complex going up right across the street. They are luxury apartments that put mine to shame (several pools, a swim up bar, on site dry cleaning service, etc... but the price reflects them, but if you were so inclined to have a roommate they would be awesome! You would still be close enough to walk or ride your bike, since the weather is always so beautiful.

If you are planning a trip back here this year let us know and we'll have someone show you around and there are many students that will offer their couches for you to sleep on to cut down on expenses.

Wade,
Congratulations! We interviewed the same day/from BYU/etc. See you in the fall

Hey Ponyboyy,

Good to hear from you and congrats. Are you a daddy yet? Lookin forward to seeing you soon.

BoiseDoc,

If you have the time drop me an email and maybe we can hook up and meet before our journey to the Southwest. Whenever I come back to the message board I get super excited about this fall. I just can't wait. Talk to you soon. Other soon to be AZCOM students please post.

Wade
AZCOM Class of 2005

Congrats to you all. Still waiting to hear from AZCOM and desperately hoping to get in!

Good Luck,
Tsatt

Cottontop,

Thanks for the info. If we don't have to sign a year lease for studnet housing, I would like to do it but I guess we'll see. Funds are always an issue. I might be planning a trip but it will not be until June or so.

Thanks,

BoiseDoc

Wade,

I wonder how many from Idaho are going to AZCOM? Also, I'd drop you a line but I do not have your e-mail. Anyway, keep the faith will you wait. I know I'm about going insane with anticipation.

BoiseDoc

AZCOM Class of 2005

Hey everybody in the AZCOM class of 2005!

Congrats on getting in. Be sure to enjoy your summer before school starts. Don't worry about reviewing or reading before hand. Just relax, travel and try to save up some money. You're gonna love it.

Phillip, MS-1

Hi all,

It's good to see someone posting something about AZCOM on this site. Because it is a new school, most often it goes unnoticed.

First off, let me congratulate everyone on your acceptance to this well-proimsing school. Just to kind of making you feel good about yourself, let me project some information about me. I applied this year and got accepted to ALL D.O. schools to which I had applied (I got my acceptance in Oct. & Nov. 2000 from most schools)....I had applied to atotal of 10 schools, among which there were few M.D. schools as well. Well, to my surprise I got into two of those allopathic schools as well. The decision was a tough one. But after interviewing in the Glendale campus, I was pretty confident as to what I wanted to do. So, to make the long story short, I chose AZCOM to be my home for at least next 4 years (not the whole 4 years---rotations and all are in surrounding hospitals). And I most certainly believe AZCOM is well on its way to be on eof the most reliable and distinguished medical institutions in the nation. Soon, we will all witness that. I met some AOA exec.'s who were impressed by AZCOM campus and facilities and the team of faculty after stopping by the school!
smile.gif

So, I will see you all in August....feel free to e-mail me if anything comes up.

As far as housing goes, to reply to some of those people inquiring about housing, I can tell you what I've found out so far. Right across the street from school (on 59th ave.) about 30-40 new apartment buildings are built up. Some of you might have noticed them during construction as you came down for your interviews. OK, here's how they are: They are NEW....They cost between 725-900 (for a one bedroom), depending on how luxurious you want your aprtment to be.....the one I checked out was a $725 one and was 865 sq. ft.....really large and was fully equipped. The community facilities (ppol, rec. area etc.) are just fantastic. What about oncampus housing? Well, you have that option too. Lat year the cheapest ran for 600 bucks for a single...!!!! They have built about 40 new units on campus too, but prices are to be released. So, you have an option I guess. But before signing anything, I'd go and see the off campus aprtments (which is just across the street) for myself first.

Finally, I am putting up a new posting with a new topic: "AZCOM MS 2005 Mailing List"
Please look that up and let's set up a class network for us new MS students.

Dave,

Hello fellow AZCOMers. I am excited about starting the program in the fall as well. I grew up in the valley and have been living in Chicago over the last 5 years. Most of my family is out there, so it should be a great reunion! For those of you looking for a place to live (as am I), the 101 makes this school remarkably accessable. I look forward to meeting with the rest of you rookies soon. Once my wife and I find a house, we will email off invites to a kickoff party/barbeque...whatever your flavor. So, get yourself registered on this nutty web site!

Slam,
Congrats! My fiance and I are also looking to get a house, let me know how the search goes. I have spent many summers in the valley but it has been a few years. Good luck in the move.
D
ps. who has the boat???

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been waiting to hear from AZCOM and I'm dying here. A combination of things caused the delay but the admissions office tells me I should hear something "very soon".

They said they are swamped with DO, PA and Pharm applicants.

I have two questions:

1. Was the interview invite via mail or phone?

AND

2. How long after your interview did you find out you got in?

Thanks,

Dave Nilsen

I just have a quick question now that all of you have been accepted to AZCOM (congrats by the way): what was the interview process like??? I have an interview scheduled for march 16. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Me too! I've got an AZCOM interview coming up. Can those of you who have been admitted or who are already students answer the following:
_Are all of the class slots filled by this time? Are we just interviewing for the wait list?
_ What were your interviews like?
_How long after the interview was it when you got your results?
I hear that this is a great school, although a little on the expensive side, and I'm looking forward to the interview. Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone,
I'll be joining you all in the fall! I'm just as excited as everyone else is... and a bit nervous. Is anyone from the Northwest? I would love to share a moving van if anyone is interested (who wants to move in the middle of August?).

With regards to the people who have interviews coming up - my experience was great. I really felt like the interviewers wanted to get to know me to see if I was a good fit for the school.

Also, when I interviewed my boyfriend and I looked at the apartments across the street that you all have mentioned several times. They are very nice. I have info on prices, etc. if anyone is interested.

Thanks for starting this post - it's awesome!
smile.gif

kelley

Congratulations to you all!!!

I just thought I'd let you all know about something really fun we plan for you guys in August. We will be doing a float trip down the salt river for all new MSIs the first week of school, so bring lots of suncscreen and a couple of old sheets (to pit on the tubes, they get really hot in the 100 degree sun). It is a very refreshing break from the desert heat and a great way to get to know lots of the students as well as many of the instructors.

Last summer we had a blast and will continue the tradition. All the MSIIs will be looking forward to meeting their new "little" brothers and sisters.

BTW: For those of you interested in housing. After one year here I have absolutely fallen in love with Phoenix and intend never to leave. Just yesterday I signed the contract on my new home, just over a mile away from campus so there'll be another lux. 1-br apt. available for you guys.

roughgod-
I have been checking out the interview feedback site periodically. The posts do not answer my questions:
1. Does anyone know if there are really any class slots open now, or if those of us who interview this month are really just going for the waitlist?
2. How long after you had your interview did you get the results? Did you get letters/phone calls/both?
If anyone out there would comment, it would be appreciated. All of you people that have been accepted could answer number 2 at least. Thanks!

For all of you who have yet to interview, I hope I can shed at least some light on your questions. First of all, I'm not sure if all spots are taken yet but I can comment on my interview. I was contacted by letter which then instructed me to call for a date and time to interview. My letter arrived Sept. 30th, I interviewed Oct. 16th and received my acceptance letter at 1:42 P.M. Mountain Standard Time on Nov. 14th. My interview was very laid back. They give you great directions and make you feel extremely welcome (I'm from the west so I felt pretty at home (plus the weather was awesome in Oct.)) Anyway, I hope some of this information helps out!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

BOISEDOC.............AZCOM CLASS OF 2005

I got my letter couple of weeks after the interview, via US airmail....
smile.gif

I also got my letter two weeks (to the day) after my interview. As our advisor says - look for the big envelopes... those are acceptances.

Has anyone heard about the hospitals closing in the Pheonix area? I was told by a D.O. in Southern California about it. Do any AZCOM students have any details about it? Also, will this cut down the number of rotation and/or residency sites for AZCOM students?

I have a questions for the current AZCOM students - how much are spouses/significant others included in the AZCOM community? When I interviewed at KCOM I was impressed with how the spouses were involved in all the activities with the students. Is there a community feel at AZCOM?

kelley

Aloha,

This is in regards to a few questions. I interviewed at AZCOM on February 26. I received notice that I was accepted a couple of days ago. When I was there they told us there was 40 seats left and that AZCOM was running relatively late in interviewing people since there was a screw up in the month of February and January and very little applicants were interviewed. Considering AZCOM does interviews every week and that they accept about 60-80 percent of the students they interview, I'd say there are about 20 seats or less available. But do remember, people will turn down their letter of acceptance.

As for the school itself, I think it is absolutely terrific. I was very impressed. If you have the chance to interview there I would think about going. Although slots are relatively few, and you may waste your money if you don't get in, you may be a lucky one who not only gets accepted but really likes the school as well.

Now regarding the other question regarding whether or not AZCOM presents a better environment for ones spouse than KCOM. I too interviewed at KCOM. I really liked how close the community was. Spouses really seemed to be cared for by the school. However, I also liked the fact that AZCOM is located in an area populated by many students with families. I have no doubt that a medical student's spouse will get along fine at AZCOM. If spouses can't find any friends, at least they can go out and enjoy the weather, visit the vast numbers of shopping centers, and do just about anything a safe urban center provides. There is even more schooling that is possible. There is nearby Thunderbird business school, Arizona State, and programs within AZCOM spouses could enroll in. Don't get me wrong, KCOM provides many great opportunities for a medical student's spouse, but I feel AZCOM does too.

Thanks for telling us that there are only 20 seats left, now I'll go into my interview with alot of confidence! But you can bet that I'm gonna ask the people whether there are any left or are we just playing for the wait list!

This is going to be a kickin class! Congrats to all.

kstokes- My fiance is in the same boat as yours, so you guys are not alone. In fact she is trying to make job connections now in anticipation of our move. Aloha is right, there is much to do around Phoenix, I have spent summers there in the past.
As for KCOM, I turned down an interview there in November because the area had nothing for my fiance's career(molecular biology). But KCOM from what I understand is an excellent school, it is just the remote location that was the deciding factor.

muonwhiz- definitely go to the interview and nail down one of those seats, I will give my lucky voodoo beads a shake for you.

D

My wife and I visited the valley a couple of weeks ago to get a sense of where to live. We found one thing to be certain...housing is in abundance! We are strongly considering living on the east side (Scottsdale). Although the commute is a bit longer than most would desire, I think the new highway (the 101) may make this a good option for us. Is there anyone else considering or already living on the east side? Pros/cons?

Also, I am expecting a daughter this May
eek.gif
(yeah, it's going to be a memorable year). Will there be any other parents in this freshman class? (Does that sound funny or what
smile.gif
)

Congratulations! You are a father to be. I have a six month old boy. I know a lot of students who are planning on going to Arizona and who have kids also. It's fun, fun, fun. My wife and I are looking for housing as close to school as possible. I think it would be great to be able to run home in five minutes or less and be able to check up on your family. However, at the same time living a bit farther from school does does allow you to focus on getting all your work done before getting home. Congratulations. Anywhere you live, life will be good, and a lot more interesting as well.

Hello All,
I just interviewed on March 19. I am counting down the days till I get a letter. I really hope I get the opportunity to join you all this next year. Congratulations to all who have been accepted. It's been a long road getting to this point and you should be proud of what you've accomplished.
Does anyone know if the 'luxury' apartments on campus are available? I saw in the info that there were only 12 built. I am excited about the number of people with families that are going to be attending. I am 25, have been happily married for 6 years and have a 2 year old daughter and a 3 week old daughter. Spouses need support too!
smile.gif
I hope that we can meet soon. The wait continues......

Hey,

We should establish some new clubs for our spouses and kids. Here are some clubs I've been thinking about. The Baby Sitters Club, The Wives Shopping Club, The Husbands BBQ Club, or something cool to establish friendship and stuff. I call dibs as the BBQ Clubs president though. It's going to be great.

I can add some spice to the club if I get accepted.

I also interviewed on the 19th and would be moving back to Phx with my wife and 6 kids.

We're fortunate to have a large support system in Phx already but we know what it is like to be living somewhere where we don't know anyone.

Dave.

OregonDO, e-mail me so we can compare notes on the interview. were you with group A or B?

I also interviewed at AZCOM on 3/19, and I had panel B. I didn't feel like I ever connected to them, and I think that the basic sciences prof on the panel may have been trying to annoy me with some of his questions. I spoke to several other students from that interview day that also had panel B and they reported similar experiences and leaving the interview feeling weird, as I did. I felt like the interview didn't go too well, and figure that I'll be seeing a thin envelope. Anyone who has already been accepted have an experience like this?

muonwhiz,

Who interviewed you? When I interviewed last year, I had an "antagonist" in my group. He seemed like a major jack ass. As it turned out, I got in, and, this guy has actually turned out to be one of my favorite professors. He even remembered me from the interview.

If you'd rather not post, email me at [email protected]

Good luck

Muonwiz,
I also had panel B. Don't worry, I think Dr. Laslo (the male on the panel?) was deliberately trying to hammer us to the wall and see how we would react under pressure. As long as you gave a somewhat thoughtful answer and supported it - don't worry. He asked me to define HMOs and give the pros, cons, and my stance. Well it turned out that he disagreed with and challenged my stance on the subject. Oh well, at least I stuck to my guns. Good luck to you and keep us all posted on what happens.

I interviewed one day behind you guys. Although I didn't walk out of the interview thinking, "Damn, I nailed that!" I didn't think it went that badly. I had panel B too, but there wasn't a Dr. Laslo in my group so they must have been different people. I did have a lady from administration or something like that and she grilled me the whole time. It was a hard interview, but it wasn't all that bad. Good luck you guys, and happy waiting.

Tiffany

Still waiting here for a reply letter on my admission status!... Any one else that interviewed recently hear back yet?! Keep us all posted!

OregonDO,

Still waiting with you. If you hear anything then you let us know also.

The waiting is KILLING me. I'll let everyone know as soon as I do.

Dave

Me too, no word yet. But I'm not sitting on pins and needles since I think the news will be unsatisfactory. Remember, when we interviewed on 3/19 we were told that there were only 20 places left in the class, so there's going to be some disappointment. I figure that they have accepted alot more people proportionately from the earlier interviewees, and that the late ones will be judged on a more strict basis, since there are so few places left. Besides, we were told that we would hear by 3 weeks after our interview date, so time's still early. Just my 2 cents.

Hey all, I called the university today and spoke with the admissions dean about some scholarship info. Anyways, he informed me that the selection for the remainding spots will occur on thursday March 29 (TOMORROW)!! In addition, he also informed me that I could call on friday morning and find out if I'm in or not. So all of you should call in if your as curious/anxious as I am. Good luck, and as always - have a backup school/plan. I'll let you all know if I'm in or not either way. Cheers, Shane

Good luck to all of you still awaiting word of your acceptance to AZCOM. Hopefully, you will all receive good news when you call to find out. Assuming you are going to call. I know I would. It is a relief to know I am in, but also scary/exciting to know that in 4 months I'll be moving back to AZ.

Best Wishes,

Wade

Shane, are you sure that the final selection for all of the 20 remaining seats will be made (today)? When I got my interview invite, it mentioned that you could choose several dates, and the last one was May 5th! Have they just decided to cancel the rest of the dates, or are they just going to let people that may want to interview in those times that there are only wait list spots open? Who were you told to call on Friday to ask about your status? Sorry for all the questions, but it would be really embarassing to call and find out that nothing has happened. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will do well.

Muon, ask all the questions you want - that's what this site was created for.
smile.gif

I was specifically told by the dean of admissions that the selection would be made on Thursday the 29th. I also remember additional dates (like 5 more!) beginning in April for interviews. Maybe it is first come first serve, or maybe they will fill only half of the available positions per cycle (with 2 cycle existing - ours being the first). I hope it isn't the latter!! So I'm calling first thing in the morning and I'll post my results sometime that day. Good luck, I hope I answered you questions to your satisfaction. Later, shane

Hey all, just got the word that I was accepted!! My anxiety level just went up 10 fold. Any of you have any advice on financial aid to pay for living expenses as I have a wife and two children. I would prefer that my wife stayed home and not worked to take proper care of the kids. I'll take any advice on loans, grants,.... Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting to hear back. If you call in, ask to speak to the admissions dean (like I did) and tell him that you need to know for deadline reasons (if you actually have other deadlines). Let us know, Shane

Congrats on your acceptance! If I get that lucky my anxiety level will go down 10 fold! Go out and celebrate! I called the admissions office today at about 11 am (their time). I spoke to one of the secretaries who told me that the Admissions Dean (Dr. Calvarro?) had already left for the day. She also told me that unless there was a really compelling reason, that they will not give out the results info over the phone. She also said that there would be letters going out in the middle of next week. The only real reason that I have is an upcoming interview that I could release for another person if I was accepted. What reason did you give? Also, if I get the total bitch slap from them I wonder if I could find out what awful thing I have done to deserve it, so that I wouldn't do whatever it was at the next interview. Any ideas?

Congrats OregonDO.

I'm in limbo with AZCOM. On the old alternate list. So more waiting for me. I've got another interview on the 12th and I'm waiting to hear from one more school I interviewed at.

Man I wish I had an answer!

Dave

PS If ANYONE is releasing their spot at AZCOM I'd love to know
wink.gif

Hey Muonwhiz,

I told them the truth: I need to find out today because I have to send a confirmation letter to the National Health Service Corps scholarship program and that deadline is today! I demanded to speak with the dean of DO admissions because he told us that if we needed to know early - this was the day to find out.

SWDAVE, Hang in there. Word is many people cancell their holds from this school. I know that it is still hard to be in limbo. I sympathize with you and your wife. I know how it is to want to have a decision made so you can plan what's best for you and your family.

Any one else even considering dropping their positions - please let us know. With families - it's not so easy to just pick up and move at the last minute.

Thanks all and good luck.