AZCOM Class of 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Latest news flash: per the Humanism in Medicine web site, our White Coat Ceremony is going to be held on Thursday, September 6th. I'm not sure where the site picked up this info, but they seem to have a similar listing for every medical school in the country. To check it out, go to: http://www.humanism-in-medicine.org/ and then click on the calendar of events. It starts with July 2001 and then continues on. See everyone soon! Get those coat sizes in now!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I talked with SAS today and she said they are looking at the last weekend in September for the white coat ceremony, but a final decision has not been made.
Do we have info on the pre-orientation get together? When, where, etc?
kelley

check out the AZCOM 2005 site and see if there's some info there about the pre orientation get together. I think that David "roughgod" was trying to get some interest for planning a party at the club house of one of the apartment complexes near school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello classmates! It is exactly one month until our classes start! AAAUUUGGGHHH!

Thanks for the reminder. Today was my last day as a bartender... in a month we'll be med students! For those of you that are already in Arizona, how is it? Can't wait to join you in a few weeks.
kelley

Kelley,

Next Saturday will be my last day bartending! I feel so out of the loop not having a job in the medical field this summer. Are you going to try and work in Phoenix at all? I was thinking about transferring to one of our bars out there and working like one night a week. You are from Chicago right? Long drive, a friend of my families is driving my stuff out from Detroit, but somehow I am flying. Go figure?
Tiffany

Hey Tiff! Where can I get a friend like that? I'll be doing the UHaul special starting on 8/7 and hope to be in Phoenix on the 9th. When do you plan to arrive?

Is anyone going to Phoenix from L.A. area who would like to share a U-Haul?????

Tiffany,
Glad to know someone else had a non-medical job this summer. I feel out of the loop too, but there is no way I'm going to bartend anymore!
We are from Portland, Oregon... we're leaving on the 10th, arriving on the 14th and stopping at Magic Mountain on the way.
See you all soon!
kelley

Hi everyone!

Well, i've finally made it to sunny glendale, AZ...and it is HOT! But it feels good to have finally arrived. I've signed the lease on my apartment, but won't move in until the first of August. Is anyone else out here yet? I can't wait to meet everyone. The clock is counting down...

Kelly

Hey Azcomers,

People at AZCOM replied to some e-mails I sent a while ago and it appears that your class is still 12 people over!

A few have deferred and some dropped but most of you have stuck to your guns and are going to school in Glendale this year.

I know from a reliable source that a request has been made to the AOA to allow AZCOM to have more than their alloted 125 students. The AOA won't reply before school starts so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Maybe some of us will meet up in residency or later but best of luck to everyone and MICHIGAN here I COME.

Adieu,

Dave

Dave,

It is too bad we won't be seeing you at AZCOM, but best of luck at Michigan. You are right about having a huge class - there are 146 of us (according to the student activities office)!!!

We have to get our pre-orientation party together... anyone have any input? How does Sunday, August 19 sound?

kelley

Muonwhiz,

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 12 hour drive home back to Michigan from South Carolina, and then have 12 hours to have everything packed up! I think right now I would rather drive out there than be going 24 hours non stop! My flight leaves Monday August 13th.

Dave,

Where are you moving to in Michigan? It sounds like you are moving there for your residency? What hospital?

Can't wait to meet you all! We are definitely going to have to a have a pre-orientation party. Perhaps someone should just choose one of the apartment clubhouses and that will be that?

Tiffany

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a question based purely on paranoia: what if the AOA won't let AZCOM expand our class? Does that mean that, like an overbooked airline flight, some of us will be bumped out?

SW Dave

Did your brothers get the books to you? I hope they help!

PGY2

muonwhiz,

Relax. The class isn't that far over the limit. The AOA police won't descend on them and clean house. If anything they will work with them to bring things into balance without undue harm to anyone's education.

It is reasonable to expect that 5-10% of any class anywhere will either go on leave or drop out. Personal circumstances beyond their control may cause some to opt for a deferral with a restart the following year. Sometimes it is just that they have come this far for love of mom and dad, but the stress just isn't worth it and they drop out. Those of you who struggled to get accepted find it hard to believe, but it happens on a regular basis. I think some students make us (yes, I'm a faculty member, but not at AZCOM) flunk them so "it wasn't their fault." Believe me, I'm not trying to cast blame, but I've seen too many students who are smart enough somehow flunk their exams, and refuse help. Like a patient that doesn't really want to get better.

You can be sure that the admissions office knows what they are doing. Just let the situation play out over the first semester and you'll see. I've been watching this process for nearly 30 years. Just focus on getting a good start, use your time well, and let the administration worry about the details.

jwpelley

Thanks, jwpelley! I think we can all sleep a little bit better tonight! :)

Everyone be sure to visit the AZCOM 2005 web site if you want to see our first quarter class and exam schedule! I think certain MS-2's were pulling my leg about the every Monday morning tests. We do have some scheduled, but, thank goodness, not every single week! http://geocities.com/azcom2005/

Here is my suggestion for the pre-orientation get together...
Let's meet at the new picnic area by the admissions building on Sunday, Aug. 19 at 5:30. From there we can go out to dinner, for drinks, whatever. This way no one has to plan anything. Who's in?
kelley

Sounds good to me, count me in.

I was just thought it was funny that you guys were talking about how big your class was and how many people over you went. Well, that's nothing. I'm at NSU-COM and we have around 230 when it is supposed to be 175. We have had orientation all this week and I am still seeing faces that I haven't seen before. Best of luck to you all and take care.

Hello! I wish I knew this website was here a while ago. I moved to AZ the end of June and have been really bored. My husband and I are living in Archstone Apartments on 19645 N. 31st ave. Really close to campus and at the junction of the 101 and 17. Email me if you still need a place to live, I would love to have classmates in my complex and the prices are about 100 cheaper than the complexes across from school. BTW, my husband is all for this Husband BBQ club! Any other spouses having a hard time finding a job? Someone asked about utilities in a previous posting. Our first electric bill for 5 weeks was 133. We keep it around 80. Well I can't wait to meet all of you and would love to get together before school starts!
Ciara

Who's in AZ now? I think those of us who are here maybe we should get together anyways. I have moved in and already met some people from our class. But I have to leave town for a few days before 08/22. How's Fri night for those who are already in Phoenix?

Friday the 17th? Works for me! Time? Place?

Well, I actually meant this Fri. But next Fri. (17th) sounds good too.

I just arrived in Phoenix and have alot of boxes to unpack. But I'd love to get together with any classmates that want to do so before oreintation! I don't have a telephone yet, so I'll continue to watch this board! Safe trip out to all who are traveling now or in the near future!

Hi everyone!!!! I dont have my computer built yet so I am using the school's computer lab!! It's been a while since I last checked this site and gave an update!! :) I drove down from Portland OR to Glendale starting on Monday the 27th of July at 11:45 PM. I arrived in Glendale on Wednesday the 29th at 4:50 AM. That was the longest, most grueling drive I have ever done!!! :) It took me 29 hours of strait driving with a 24 foot Ryder truck and a car in tow!! My wife and kids were smart and flew down after I had already unpacked everything!! :) I must say that whoever thinks the heat here is 'bearable' because of the low humidity is probably cold blooded and needs excessive heat to get going in the morning!! IT'S HOT FOLKS!!! :cool:

I believe CBsun2000 said in a post that they keep the AC at 80 degrees and it cost them over a hundred dollars for 5 weeks. FOLKs - I am gonna be broke BEFORE school starts!! I have had my AC at 74-75 degrees round the clock!! this is a big change though from the Oregon summers where 80-85 degrees is the average HOT day. 80 -85 is what the nite time temp is here!!
I am so excited to be finally here. It seems more real now and not just another 'futuristic goal or dream'. I am now moved in 100% and am biting my nails until school starts. (yes I am a type A personality :). I have been bugging student services for info on what our classes will be each day and what books we will actually need to buy. They keep telling me to take a chill pill and to stay away from the lattes and wait untill orientation. So I am just taking deep breaths and trying to wipe continuous smile off my face. LOL.

I recently spoke to Wade and plan on meeting with him and his fiance christine soon. I need to check the web site David has made for us and see if a meeting has been established.
Good luck to you all in your move in and just remember that school is only a week away!! I hope they have seatbelts in the orientation chairs for me!! lOL

:D :D :D

I guess we know who the most anxious member of our class is... we could have used your enthusiasm and energy when we were moving in yesterday, Shane. :) It is great to finally be here, although it is a little hot for my Oregon blood. Do we have plans to meet this weekend? My fiance and I are going to see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (formerly known as The Refreshments) in Tempe on Friday night. If anyone would like to join us you are welcome!!!
kelley

Hi Kelley - where did you end up moving too?? We are in SageStone. I dont' know if we are meeting this Sunday or not?? Wade said that some people were meeting on Sunday at 5:30 pm by the basketball courts at school. I checked around this site and the site David has posted for us and I havent a clue when it is or where for sure. So cough it up everyone - where is the party?? I know I could get our apartments club house most likely - I just need to know when. So who is the ring leader here??? :)

I don't know who is the ring leader, but welcome to all! The latest consensus sequence appears to be meeting this Sunday at 5:30 out by the new picnic eating area on campus. From there we will decide on a place to go to eat and visit. It would be too hot to stay there! Also, if we want to have another party or get together at one of the apartment club houses (before school starts) we could discuss it on Sunday and get it posted here and on our class web site. I'm in favor of parties! Eat, drink and be merry for starting on the 27th we shall all start to die! :)

Shane,
We moved into Arrowhead Highlands, so we are practically neighbors. :) Let's meet on Sunday at 5:30 near the basketball courts. It may just be us three (and families) but that's ok, we'll have fun! I still haven't gone out for Mexican, so if you guys know of a good place I want to hear about it.
See you then - kelley

Why don't we meet at somewhere cooler? Like any of the club houses or something? I am at Arrowhead too. what do you think?

Hi all. So it's gonna be 5:30 on sunday!! I better not be the only one there or else I'll pull a 'frogman' in the arrowhead highlands lagoon and come get you guys to go out!! :)Also - if we are planning to go out and drink or whatever from there - I probably wont bring the family. I dont think that a 2year old and a 5 month old can handle their liquor yet very well (haha). So I guess we will all meet there on Sunday and then go from there. I hope to god I dont forget!! See you then :confused:

Arrowhead Highlands Clubhouse, Sunday, 5:30... got it. Shane, could you bring the family for dinner maybe? I would love to meet your wife and kids (us Oregonians have to stick together, you know). Also, I'm bringing my mom along with me... she flew here from Oregon to help set up my apartment and get us settled. Any objections?
kelley

Whoa - wait kelley!!! lets meet at school by the basketball courts FIRST then go from there. I know that some people may not be able to check this post this weekend and are planning on meeting by the basketball courts at 5:30 on sunday. So lets meet there at 5:30 and then maybe around 5:45 we can migrate to the arrowhead highlands club house. Does this sound ok?? Since my computer isnt built yet and I am forced to use the school computers for the time being - this is my last time I will see a computer till Monday. So my family and I will be at the school at 5:30 looking for you guys and gals!! :) and yes Kelley - you should bring your mom!! I think that's great that she came down to help you get all settled! My mother in law did that for us too and it was a big help. I'll be the guy who looks like an 18 year old, skinny Army recruit - look for me!! :)

All of this sounds good, but what about eats? My stomach will be growling!