AZCOM Class of 2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, I'll check it out. New topic: what are the best places to eat, drink and be merry in Phoenix at medical student prices? Post up, all ye that know!

Ok,

Any health considerations aside:

Ray's Pizza at 59th & Greenway. I LOVE that place.

Lenny Burger: Several locs. 43rd & T-bird may be the closest but it is the BEST cholesterol suicide I've ever had.

Best Chimi: I've said this before but Popo's WAY down on 67th and Indian School I think.

Best Fajitia's: Fajita's across I-17 from Metrocenter Mall

Best Prime rib: Chubb's, I forgot where this place is but it's around the downtown area. Not cheap but the prime rib is the best I've had.

Disclaimers: There may be closer locations for some of these but it's been 8 years since I've lived there. Notice the lack of healthy fare? I wasn't too concerned about diet back then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well,

I met with Dean Cole yesterday and learned a few interesting facts.

There is a voluntary Big Brother/Big Sister program that matches u up with an M2.

A friend at MSUCOM said this totally saved her a couple times this past year when she just wasn't getting a couple things. The M2 used the "tutoring" for lack of a better word as prep for boards. I think this is really cool and would find it indespensable.

He also said that changes that have been made have happened in weeks instead of months since the school is new and traditions/habits don't get in the way.

He said that many M4s have been asking for more out-of-state rotations and they are considering loosening that up a bit. They hesitate to do this not always knowing the practitioners but if the school is assured that the criteria for the rotation is being met, they tend to allow it.

Although students are given letter grades for each class, students are not told their rank until the end of 2nd year. This was a question I felt was important since the Pass/Fail approach really seems to remove the competitiveness that students can have. It sounds like the next best thing.

Overall he was really personable and I found I really enjoyed our visit.

One thing to hope for is he has someone trying to secure a grant to get PDAs for the class entering this Fall.

I'll hear about my alt. list ranking June 11th. :( More waiting.

Dave

Thanks for the info. and I wish you the best Dave.

Thanks for the poop Dave! It's really exciting to hear these things. I have a very good feeling that you are going to be with us at orientation. Be sure to let us know wht you hear on 6/11. When (not if) you join us, don't forget that you said that you were going to hold a barbeque for your new classmates- I'm going to hold you to it, as I love that stuff! The Dean sounds pretty cool, I'm going to be seeing him on 6/4 (since I'm going out to look for housing, I might as well drop in). If things work out well with a proposal that I have, then our class will get some reallly good med school learning info as well as a treat. Hopefully, he will approve, 'Nuff said unless it works out! I sure hope that he gets the pda grant, I've been wanting one for a while!

What's a PDA?

.....and....have you been checking the website? The list of students is growing quickly. Check it out. Also, I haven't got any input from you guys regarding the get-together. Please read the Upcoming Events page and let me know what you think.

David B.

Muonwhiz-Hold me to that BBQ all you want, I am COMMITTED to that one if things swing my way and I arrive @ AZCOM. Let us know anything else new after your visit too.

Roughgod-PDA=Personal Digital Assistant It includes devices like palms, pocketpcs, handsprings, TRG's (now HandEra), etc. Dean Cole has the very cool Ipaq that is a bit buggy at times but SCREAMIN fast. I have a Cassiopeia which isn't as glitzy or svelte but has the nicest looking screen bar none.

PS: Roughgod, put the address to you website in you SDN signature so people like myself that never bookmark anything can go to your site without searching through this forum looking for it.

Later, I'm off to bed now.

Dave

I have a ton of medical school/residency books all for free. Just come pick it up today or tomorrow! Included are a full set of Kaplan Step 1 and Compass Step 1 and 2 review books, medicine, pharmacology, histology, etc... just come get them! I am moving in a couple of days, so you need to contact me ASAP! Prefer if you come get them tonight! I live in central phoenix. Actually, this offer is open to anyone in th e Phoenix area.
R.G., M.D.
pager 602-608-8024

Take advantage of this AZCOM Class of 2005.... I would, but I don't go to your school.

Does anyone know whether or not it ever gets cool or cold in Phoenix (today's temp = 106)? Can we just throw away all but summer clothes? Are the AC utilities extremely expensive? Anay known problems woth the power supply a la California?

It can get pretty cool bet. Dec and Mar. daytime temps 60's (dry and cold, I'm an East Coast girl 60 in NY is warm d/t humidity) nights sometimes 40. No such power problems as with CA, yet. Not sure on utilities as I'll pay to be cool no matter what (strange that I don't pay attention). If you ever lived on Long Island then you'll understand, utility rates used to be one of the highest in the nation, so these rates seem very reasonable to me. See what others have to say as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!! just wanted to say that I'm counting down the days until I can quit my job and move down to Glendale!! I am so excited about the HUGE life change. Just thought I'd share my excitment!!

I'm right there with you, Oregon! I'm going out next week to look for a place to live. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone and starting this adventure together. Are you planning on being moved in before 8/15? Check out the AZCOM 2005 site, as a pre orientation get together for our class is being planned, and hope you can be there. Maybe we should wear name tags with our email names on them for better recognition!

Good idea Muonwhiz!! Name tags are essential. My family and I will move out the 3rd week in July. We need a little time to find out where everything is due to having 2 kids. I will be there in august for the partie(s)!! See ya soon

And the weather forecasted highs for the rest of the week in Phoenix are 109, 107, 102, 103 and 102. And it's only May. Can you imagine what it's gonna be like at orientation? I heard a rumor that the second years are going to take us on some sort of a rafting trip and we will probably all boil in our skins!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'll be attending AZCOM starting in August also. I look forward to meeting everyone. I'll be moving down there around July first. I look forward to meeting everyone!!

I know, that was redundant. Sorry.

Hi Shep!! Congratulations and welcome. Please check out and consider registering at our cool site David has come up with: http://geocities.com/azcom2005/ . Are you moving on campus?? It's gonna be hot and hard for me to adjust during the first month! Yet I can hardly wait :)

I'll be living off campus in
Arrowhead. We bought a house there. It's only about a mile away so I plan to bike most of the time.
It is soooo hot down there. Sure will be different than living in/near the mountains. Very different ecosystem in Phoenix. I don't think we'll have time to notice once classes start. Got no time to be hot!

About the name tags; I think it's a better idea if everyone simply posts his/her picture on the site....that way, we can eliminate identification by name tags. That is so "new company staff meeting" kind of thing... :D
Already a few people have posted pic.'s on the site. Check'em out and post yours as well. Simply e-mail it to me and I'll put it up for you along with your profile.

David B.

I'm not sure I want to post a photo, I don't want to be responsible for any nightmares! For those of us without digital cameras it would be hard to post. Anyone got any more shots of the school to put up on the site? Those outside ones are good, but it would be good to see some others!

Muonwhiz,

If it is a raft trip, it will be the Salt River, which should be a BLAST!!! The mountains around the area received about 100 inches of snow this winter, twice as much as we received up here in Boise. So, they should have a good flow. Unfortunately, those lucky individuals from the NW with really pasty skin will be burnt to a crisp. I can't wait... Talk to you soon.

I'm pretty sure that it is a raft trip. For those of us unfamiliar with same, give us your recommendations as to clothing and sunblock. I assume that the life preservers would be supplied, unless the second years are under secret orders to kill some of us off!

Wade,
Some of us from the NW don't have pasty skin... we get some sun! We'll just have to pass the sunscreen around like it's water (or margaritas). I'm just as excited as everyone else, but oregonDO seems to have had one too many lattes. :) Just kidding Shane. Can't wait to meet you all!
kelley :rolleyes: :)

Yep Kelly - I am getting so impatient!!
I can hardly wait to move!!! I decided on leaving from Portland around July 24. Have you decided yet when you'll be moving?? See you soon!!!!!!! :)

Originally posted by muonwhiz:
•I assume that the life preservers would be supplied, unless the second years are under secret orders to kill some of us off!•

How did you know about our secret orders? Actually, though, we're not supposed to start with the bloodshed until after the first anatomy exam.....they wanna see how many of you take care of yourselves, and spare us the mess :)

DISCLAIMER: to individuals without a sense of humor (which I don't think applies to anyone in the 2005 class so far)--the above is a joke....it is only a joke....

I believe the raft trip is actually affectionately known to zonies as "tubing the salt". I did it a couple of times during high school. Unless things have changed, the trip is hardly one requiring life preservers. Everyone gets an innertube to ride like a giant lounge chair as you gently glide down the river. The ride is very leisurely and a great time to sociallize or sleep as you cook. Some people really get into this and demonstrate their creativity and craftsmanship in designing floats for their boom boxes and coolers.

On another topic... my wife gave birth to a girl a few weeks ago. Wow, that was exciting! The baby had some trouble, though, and stayed in the NICU for her first two weeks. She is home now and seems to be pretty normal. I posted a picture of her and I on the class web page.

For the other parents out there: I thought taking care of an infant would be a breeze since they sleep so much (16-18 hr). I was wrong. It feels like all of my time is spent doing one of several activities: burping, feeding, changing diapers, bathing, washing/folding puked on clothes, shopping for diapers, etc... Tell me, does infancy get any easier? :confused:

would it be rpofitable at this site or at the AZCOM 2005 site for those interested to post up when they have moved to Phoenix? That way, we could make contact via email and maybe get together for a few cool ones. Portland is moving down in the last of July, and I want to be in by August 1st. (Going to Phoenix tommorow to find someplace to live)It'd be great to do some socializing while moving in and waiting for all the fun to start. I'm excited about meeting everyone!

Congrats Slaminsam!

Having kids is a fantastic experience that will help you grow in ways you did know you could.

Since I've been changing diapers for nearly 9 years straight, I can tell you that every child is different. Some are a total cake-walk as infants and others are just plain difficult. One lucky thing is that they all go through stages that changes how they can be at times.

Best of luck,

Dave
Still waiting for news on the 11th.

Does anyone know if AZCOM has a note taking service or a video taking service already in place? If not, I think it would be a great idea to organize one. The sooner the better. That's if one is already in place.

From what I know, they don't have any note taking nor a video taping service for the lectures. All lectures are given to everyone in handouts before each lecture. That's what I recall from what some of my friends (MSI) told me.

By the way, will anyone be in Phoenix during these dates: 6/17-6/23? I'll be there, and hopefully will get a chance to take some nice pictures for the site as well. Any ideas/suggestions?

David

congratulations slaminsam!!!

i don't have kids myself, but i spent 7 summers and one full year nannying for six children...yes, all in the same family. The best advice I can give you is to cherish every moment...even being puked on...because she'll grow up before you know it. and don't worry, it gets easier...until she hits adolescents!

just a side note: i got back from arizona last week (how wrong is it that it was 110 degrees in phoenix and 52 degrees when i got back to chicago...in june!!!) and i reserved one of the apartments in arrowhead highlands across from the school...so hi to all my soon to be neighbors.

Hey RoughGod, if your gonna be there in June, Please take more pics of the campus!! I loved being able to show my family in advance what the school looks like via your previous pics :) Maybe different angles/sides of the buildings, whatever I'm just excited to see our school!! Talk to ya soon!!

Hello all! Just got back from Phoenix, where it is hot and gonna get hotter! There is no formal note taking service, since the profs give handouts. I met up with an MS2 who gave me a bunch of biochem notes for the class we will be taking, as well as a couple of old tests. I copied these, and anyone who wants to copy them can do so. The notes look pretty good and some students have told me that they don't buy the text books or if they do, use them just for reference. I met Dean Cole and found out that this last group from our school that took the COMLEX level 2 had a 98.8% pass rate! He told me that his vision for the school is to make it the best of all of the osteopathic colleges before he retires. Sounds like AZCOM's board scores are right up there! The only bad thing about it is that you don't want to be the one to screw it up! I also found out from the students that the faculty will be starting us out at a managable pace and then increasing the speed and load over time. I met a couple of the professors and all seemend really friendly and welcoming. I also think that there is some wait list movement starting, because I got an email from a person who just got admitted and will be joining us. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for swdave!

You are still on for the BBQ.

I'm told the alt. list hasn't even been formed yet. Ahh, only time will tell.

Dave

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a while because I don't have easy access to the internet at the moment. But, I am glad to see that everyone has kept in touch through the network.

SWDave, glad that you are sticking to your guns and holding out for AZCOM. I am sure that you will get in, and you'll know in about 2 days!

Side note, still looking for a roomate to share a three bedroom apartment at arrowhead highlands across the street from campus. Here's my email if ya'll need it. [email protected]

My flight leaves Monday August 11th to start my journey into the west! My other roomate will be moving the first of August, so we both will be attending the barbeque's. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Tiff :eek:

Damn cubbies are losing....
While watching the game I would just like to introduce myself and say that this forum has really provided a ton of info. Not being from the phoenix area I was wondering what people thought of the surrounding apartments. I'm moving with my fiance and we are looking at a 1 bedroom as close to campus as possible....highlands and sagestone look close and I was wondering what else people have looked at and was hoping you could share your impressions. Thanks and I can't wait to meet everyone!

Damn cubbies are losing....
While watching the game I would just like to introduce myself and say that this forum has really provided a ton of info. Not being from the phoenix area I was wondering what people thought of the surrounding apartments. I'm moving with my fiance and we are looking at a 1 bedroom as close to campus as possible....highlands and sagestone look close and I was wondering what else people have looked at and was hoping you could share your impressions. Thanks and I can't wait to meet everyone!

It looks like the alternate list isn't being ranked anytime soon since people are hanging in there and giving their deposits on time. The committee isn't worried about the alternate list since at this point they still don't need it!

This is opposite of what happened last year so no one knows what to think of it.

Dave

Hang in there Dave! The wait lists at other schools are or will be moving soon, and some people who have given deposits at AZCOM will still opt for other schools when they get wait list notifications. Besides, they have to let you in. What other person has 6 kids? Think of all of those potential legacies and tuition income for the school! Are you saying that they aren't going to do anything with the wait list until July?

Dave,
I'm hoping that you hear something soon - we are all looking forward to hear your GREAT news! Let us know...
kelley
ps - Shane, we're leaving on Aug. 10. :)

I received a list of medical web sites from an MS2 at AZCOM. These look like they could be helpful, as they were for him. If any classmates want this list, email me by this weekend and I'll forward them on to you. After that, they get wiped!
[email protected]

Have you been checking the site lately?????
Everytime you go to the site, check the "What's New" page for new additions/updates on the sites. By the way, I still need those who want to join the get-together party in August e-mail me with the info on their availability and all. Also, those of you who do have a picture and don't mind it be posted on the site, please e-mail me the pictures and I'll post them on your page.

David

I've just got one question: where did the name roughgod come from?

....it's a long story.....but also I picked it up from a song by Van Morrison.
:D

Post up when you are moving to Phoenix, either here or on AZCOM 2005! If we can keep a list, we can get together before the orientation starts! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone else will be living at Sage Stone. Anyone with kids?? Mrs. oregonDO

It just seems as if no one checks this board or the site anymore. Is that the case? :confused: