AZCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Contact your big bro/big sis before you go out buying all the books. Plus, previous classes will have a book sale. Also,The book store is pretty good about keeping things stocked up.

B (class of 2008)

Tonloc08 said:
Did anyone ever come up with a list of books we need? Of those books we're supposed to have, does anyone have any insight into which ones we really need?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All

I am just about 1/2 way through pre reqs and very interested in mid western. As others who are in AZ (im a resident here) I wanted to ask you all a few questions:

1) Any truth to the Kirksville program opening in Mesa?
2) Any info on the MD program opening in central phoenix?
3) What are your loan resources and do you have to prove finiancial need?
4) Does MWU give preference to state residents and at what percentage?
5) Any advice for me about MidWestern in general?

I have read all the posts in this forum, most of it seems opinion. I am lucky enough to know many of the admissions people as well as instructors there from either working with, or teaching for/with them. I have some insight but id like to hear more for those of you there.

Thanks all

Hi B,

Are we supposed to be assigned a big bro/sis? I haven't heard from anyone yet.

Thanks!

Virginia

Burly B said:
Contact your big bro/big sis before you go out buying all the books. Plus, previous classes will have a book sale. Also,The book store is pretty good about keeping things stocked up.

B (class of 2008)

Members don't see this ad :)
Virgie said:
Hi B,

Thanks!

Virginia

yes. i've been in contact with mine and it's been a great help

Yes, everyone should have one. Hopefully, they will contact you when you arrive.

Virgie said:
Hi B,

Thanks!

Virginia

Mike,

Mike MacKinnon said:
1) Any truth to the Kirksville program opening in Mesa?

The Arizona Medical Association, whom I met with in June, is treating this as fact. The UofA students also believed this was a done deal.

Mike MacKinnon said:
2) Any info on the MD program opening in central phoenix?

It has been approved by the AZ legislature but is under-funded. They were planning to start 25 medical students this year but I'm not sure if it has gone that far. My opinion is that this is a done deal and could only be railroaded if funding is somehow cut off. Politically, a lot of people (e.g. the Gov.) have a lot at stake to see this through to completion.

Mike MacKinnon said:
3) What are your loan resources and do you have to prove finiancial need?

Loans are based on what it a student to live on and cover tuition, currently around $54k. The first $38k is subsidized by the government, the rest is private loans. I know of students getting even more (!) but that probably depends on your credit rating versus need.

Mike MacKinnon said:
4) Does MWU give preference to state residents and at what percentage?

Nope, it's a private institution.

Mike MacKinnon said:
5) Any advice for me about MidWestern in general?

Great school. Didactic education, from my biased perspective, seem to be outstanding (facilities and faculty). Rotations are going to be similar to most places except that you'll be doing some traveling for 3rd year rotations. Many schools have local treaching hospitals for 3rd rotations, but almost everywhere you're going to be traveling to your desired residency institutions/locations for those audition rotations.

If you do a quick search, you'll see that this topic has been covered ad nauseum. But I really like the private "teaching first" atmosphere.

Hope that helps...

Tonloc08 said:
Did anyone ever come up with a list of books we need? Of those books we're supposed to have, does anyone have any insight into which ones we really need?

That's not an easy question to answer. Everyone is different. At least one of my classmates purchased ZERO books last year other than 1/4 of a Netter for his (our) lab table. On the other hand I probably went overboard.

At a minimum, first quarter I would have a Netter and the Biochem book. Mosby's and some kind of Med Dictionary (PDA best!) are also important.

In addition I purchased, used, a few Histo atlases, Rohen for cadaver photos, Stedmans' Embryo and the OMM Board Review book. If you can access these in the library, then you don't 'need' to purchase them.

jgrady said:
Mike,

The Arizona Medical Association, whom I met with in June, is treating this as fact. The UofA students also believed this was a done deal.

It has been approved by the AZ legislature but is under-funded. They were planning to start 25 medical students this year but I'm not sure if it has gone that far. My opinion is that this is a done deal and could only be railroaded if funding is somehow cut off. Politically, a lot of people (e.g. the Gov.) have a lot at stake to see this through to completion.

Loans are based on what it a student to live on and cover tuition, currently around $54k. The first $38k is subsidized by the government, the rest is private loans. I know of students getting even more (!) but that probably depends on your credit rating versus need.

Nope, it's a private institution.

Great school. Didactic education, from my biased perspective, seem to be outstanding (facilities and faculty). Rotations are going to be similar to most places except that you'll be doing some traveling for 3rd year rotations. Many schools have local treaching hospitals for 3rd rotations, but almost everywhere you're going to be traveling to your desired residency institutions/locations for those audition rotations.

If you do a quick search, you'll see that this topic has been covered ad nauseum. But I really like the private "teaching first" atmosphere.

Hope that helps...
Hey

Thank you! I did do a quick search but sometimes you can drown in the amount of posts that come up on the search which arent at all what you are looking for.

Excellent info!

Anyone know if there's a pre-orientation get together this Sunday?

I thought I remembered hearing something about that. If there is indeed a party planned for Sunday night, I'm in! Just need to know the time and place.......

i think how it was left is that we were waiting for a location off campus. anyone have a big place available for a sunday night party? i'm living on campus, so unfortunately i'm out. we mentioned having it in the club house on campus, but someone said it costs money. so it seems like the party is on hold until a location is volunteered.

anyway...on a separte note...i'm going to get my moving truck this afternoon. very excited! see you soon!!

WELCOME!!!

I am an MSIII, and you all are in for a great time (not sarcastic), really.

I hope that you all are finishing up aon some good reading and mindless stuff this is a great time, b/c it's soooo close to the start date!!!

Anyway, if anyone is interested in some books/netter cards/etc PM me and we can talk about it in detail!take care everyone! You'll love it here

Chuck

Virgie said:
Hi B,

Thanks!

Virginia

Virginia,

If you need advice, etc., just let me know.

jason

Members don't see this ad :)
CaliDO said:
i think how it was left is that we were waiting for a location off campus. anyone have a big place available for a sunday night party? i'm living on campus, so unfortunately i'm out. we mentioned having it in the club house on campus, but someone said it costs money. so it seems like the party is on hold until a location is volunteered.

anyway...on a separte note...i'm going to get my moving truck this afternoon. very excited! see you soon!!

My house (thanks to your classmate Tony), is a possibilty... However, you guys might want to have a party the weekend between orientation and the start of classes, so you can invite the entire class...

Another good place to have a "party" is Monastery Too.

Jason, '07

I was wonderin what the schedule looks like this week, I left my orientation information back in Oregon.

Also, Good luck everyone and I look forward to meeting y'all

You can get the orientation schedule online at http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ss_AZStudents.htm
Let me know if that works...

So you're from Albany? I'm from Portland, went to school at OSU!! Small world eh? Where'd you go to undergrad?

thegringoman said:
I was wonderin what the schedule looks like this week, I left my orientation information back in Oregon.

Also, Good luck everyone and I look forward to meeting y'all

There's a small contingent of us Northwesterners at AZCOM. I lived in WA for 20 years along with our class Prez but lived the two years prior to AZCOM in OR with the current SGA Prez (both of whom you'll meet at orentiation). We have at least three more classmates in the Class of 2008 from the NW.

Sweet! I'm so excited to start! Actually Tucker is my BigBro! Lucky lucky me!! :)

jgrady said:
There's a small contingent of us Northwesterners at AZCOM. I lived in WA for 20 years along with our class Prez but lived the two years prior to AZCOM in OR with the current SGA Prez (both of whom you'll meet at orentiation). We have at least three more classmates in the Class of 2008 from the NW.

It looks like it has been a while since any posted. What is everyone's thought on the first week of class? Seems like a lot of material already, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what we're in for soon....

Okay MS1's, how did you like that anatomy test you just took!

I didn't think it was too bad although I'm sure I made some stupid mistakes. The written part was harder for me than the practicle. Now it's time for biochem......

Hey 2009ers!

For those of you still on SDN, I'm trying to bring this thread back from the dead. Apparently I was the last one to reply to it and that was right after THE FIRST ANATOMY/HISTO TEST LAST QUARTER. It's crazy that there's only one more to take. Well I hope to hear from everyone soon......

matt, why are you procastinating, you should be studying for physio!! lol...jk. ugh, thank goodness it's the last test, I want to BURY HISTO!! it's crazy that just last yr, WE were the ones asking for advice. Little did I realize how awesome it was that some 1st/2nd yrs took time to answer my questions back then even with their hectic schedule (as we now know!). Hope I can be as much help to the upcoming class as the former class has been to me! 2010ers, if you have any q's, ask away!

Inquiringmind24 said:
Hey 2009ers!

For those of you still on SDN, I'm trying to bring this thread back from the dead. Apparently I was the last one to reply to it and that was right after THE FIRST ANATOMY/HISTO TEST LAST QUARTER. It's crazy that there's only one more to take. Well I hope to hear from everyone soon......

...be sure to ask A LOT of questions about 3rd and 4th year rotations....