AZCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zarin79sa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I haven't been to SDN in a while and I haven't seen a thread for AZCOM class of 2009, so I decided to start one. If there is one already started, please let me know.
I submitted my FAFSA and stafford loan applications and I'm basically waiting for the school to start in august. What's everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Me too, just waiting. I was on here a couple months ago and there was an azcom official 2009 thread, but i don't see it now.

I should be submitting my financial aid stuff pretty soon and then the countdown begins to the orientation and first day of class. By the way, my name's Matt and I'm a graduate of the University of Colorado at Boulder. After spending the last 7 years here in Colorado, it's time to move down to the desert. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. I can't wait to see you all when the school starts. I'll definately need private loans so I was considering the Signature loan program through Midwestern. Are you guys going to take out a private loan and if so, which bank are you going to consider?

I used CitiAssist for undergrad so I might look at them again for extra med school loans. On the Osteo forum I posted a bunch of questions for current AZCOM students about finaid and housing so you might want to check those threads out. Have any of you decided on housing yet? Are you going to live on-campus or off-campus? With a roomate or by yourself? I'm pretty sure I'm going to live on campus, but I'm not sure whether to live alone or with a roomate yet.

Hey guys, I just received a mail from MWU today. It is a notification telling me that a third-party vendor of the university had mistakenly exposed my personal information including my name, address, and SSN. Supposedly, people who filled out the institutional financial aid form between feb 22-mar 4 may be affected by this incident. Did any of you, either from AZCOM or CCOM receive this kind of letter? I'm sort of freaking out here. Name and address are negligeable, but SSN? Fortunately, they enclosed several resourceful websites and beaureus for me to start contacting.

Luckily I haven't submitted my financial aid information just yet, so I probably wasn't affected. But that's scary to know that someone can get a hold of your SSN like that with the current problems with identity theft. I would get on that right away. Keep us updated.

Zarin79sa said:
Hey guys, I just received a mail from MWU today. It is a notification telling me that a third-party vendor of the university had mistakenly exposed my personal information including my name, address, and SSN. Supposedly, people who filled out the institutional financial aid form between feb 22-mar 4 may be affected by this incident. Did any of you, either from AZCOM or CCOM receive this kind of letter? I'm sort of freaking out here. Name and address are negligeable, but SSN? Fortunately, they enclosed several resourceful websites and beaureus for me to start contacting.

I'm a MSII. Some of my classmates received the same email. Fortunately, I haven't filled out my FA info yet. Did the school offer you free credit report checks for 6 months? I think that's what they did for current students.

cdreed said:
I'm a MSII. Some of my classmates received the same email. Fortunately, I haven't filled out my FA info yet. Did the school offer you free credit report checks for 6 months? I think that's what they did for current students.

Yes. The school offered to send me a check for some $20 to subscribe to a credit monitoring service. Fortunately, I am already getting that service through my credit card company. Supposedly, the school discovered this problem on the 4th of this month but I haven't received any news of suspicious activity from the credit monitoring service, yet. I hope it stays that way :)

I think the info was just exposed for a small frame of time, but you are probably safe as someone malicious who have had to be looking for at the same time as it was exposed.

For financial aid loans (both private and federal), consider www.northstar.org and their THE program. I have found it to be the best available.

Hi all! I just received the letter and email saying that my info. was release too :( I tried to sign up for the credit report monitoring service at truecredit.com, but for some reason, they can't access my information, so i was unable to use their service. anywayz...i added a "security alert" on my report through one of the credit bureaus, checked my report and didn't find anything unusual. but it still scares me to know that someone might have my info. and it can be used at anytime! Does anyone know what else I can do at this point to protect myself? Thanks alot in advance. Can't wait to meet all of you in the fall, take carez!!

Got to keep this thread alive, so here are some things:

1. Signed up for the credit monitoring service and nothing bad appears to have happened yet. I was the victim of identity theft about three years ago, so this is pale in comparison in my book. :)

2. Living off campus with my significant other. We're heading out in June to find a nice place, probably one of the ones within a mile or two that are posted at rent.com. Anyone hear anything good or bad about those off-campus places that are nearby?

3. Not using a private lender as of now since I'll max out Stafford and get Perkins if they have some available for MS1s.

Arizona desert, here I come!

Just last week I filled out an app for on campus housing where I chose the two bedroom luxury housing. I put in a roomate request, but I'm curious to know if there are any SDNers currently looking for a roomate on campus. If so, send me a PM. And let's do our best to keep this thread updated!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested to know if there are any current or future AZCOM students who graduated from CU-Boulder. Talking to the pre-med advisor, she told me there is a first year there right now. If you're around, I'd like to hear from you! But lets avoid topics such as the Ward Churchill and football recruiting scandles.

baobaobee said:
Hi all! I just received the letter and email saying that my info. was release too :( I tried to sign up for the credit report monitoring service at truecredit.com, but for some reason, they can't access my information, so i was unable to use their service. anywayz...i added a "security alert" on my report through one of the credit bureaus, checked my report and didn't find anything unusual. but it still scares me to know that someone might have my info. and it can be used at anytime! Does anyone know what else I can do at this point to protect myself? Thanks alot in advance. Can't wait to meet all of you in the fall, take carez!!

Hi, baobaobee! I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As of right now, there is really nothing you can do except to monitor your credit report to detect any suspicious activities. The security alert placed through the credit bureaus will expire in 90 days, although you can choose to place the alert again after 90 days. So, unfortunately, there really isn't adequate protection for us consumers in place right now. I heard, however, that in light of recent huge frauds that occurred with Choicepoint and other companies of the sort, many states are considering passing a legislation which will allow the consumers to "freeze" their credit and "thaw" it when they need to for opening accounts and purching homes or cars (this legislation only exists in California right now). When that bill hits in Arizona, I hope it'll pass!! I'll see all of you in 5 mos (gosh I can't wait)!!! :D

Hello future classmates!
Does anyone know when azcom is supposed to release the new tuition cost for 05/06? :thumbdown:

I know that Western just released theirs so I would assume that AZCOM should be sending us something in the near future. But what I'm more interested to know is when the 2005 match results will be released. If anyone knows when this might happen let me know!

Zarin79sa said:
Hi, baobaobee! I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As of right now, there is really nothing you can do except to monitor your credit report to detect any suspicious activities. The security alert placed through the credit bureaus will expire in 90 days, although you can choose to place the alert again after 90 days. So, unfortunately, there really isn't adequate protection for us consumers in place right now. I heard, however, that in light of recent huge frauds that occurred with Choicepoint and other companies of the sort, many states are considering passing a legislation which will allow the consumers to "freeze" their credit and "thaw" it when they need to for opening accounts and purching homes or cars (this legislation only exists in California right now). When that bill hits in Arizona, I hope it'll pass!! I'll see all of you in 5 mos (gosh I can't wait)!!! :D
Thanks for the input! I hope it'll pass too. as of right now, I have placed the 90 days fraud alert, and I'll place another one when this one expires. I'm pretty sure I'll be living on campus 1st year and need a roommate. but I'm trying to decide if I want the luxury 2-br apt or the standard 2-br apt. I didn't get a chance to look at them during my interview. could someone tell me what the differences are. I'd appreciate it!

Hey baobaobee,

I was trying to decide the same thing and I've opted to go with the luxury option just 'cause I heard there's quite a bit more space for two people. A good person to contact on this is a guy with the username LukeWhite. Although the housing app includes a roommate request, I'm open to finding one outside of that. PM with more info about yourself since I'd like to find a roommate sometime soon.

I just checked the new housing price list for 05/06 and the standard two bedroom is now referred to as a one bedroom + den, which I think is much more accurate. I've toured campus housing several times and having a roommate in the standard two bedroom (one bed + den) would be a pretty tight squeeze. I applied for a two bedroom luxury which is over twice the size of the standard. IMO if you plan on spending very much time in your apartment I would go with the larger luxury apt. However, if you like spending your time at the library then you probably won't mind living in a smalll area.

hylacinerea said:
I just checked the new housing price list for 05/06 and the standard two bedroom is now referred to as a one bedroom + den, which I think is much more accurate. I've toured campus housing several times and having a roommate in the standard two bedroom (one bed + den) would be a pretty tight squeeze. I applied for a two bedroom luxury which is over twice the size of the standard. IMO if you plan on spending very much time in your apartment I would go with the larger luxury apt. However, if you like spending your time at the library then you probably won't mind living in a smalll area.

I chose to go with the standard, just because I don't see myself spending much time at 'home.' Anyone know about the quality of the fitness facilities in the area? (I'm probably going to go with LA fitness, only 2.5 miles away from azcom).

Anyone from southern cali going to azcom? Any other gay students?

Hey hylacinerea,

Do you have a roommate lined up yet? I too am going for the luxury two bedroom, and I'm not sure whether they set us up with a roommate or we do it ourselves. PM me with some of your info if you're still looking for a roommate.

Hello Inquiringmind24,

Not sure about the roommate situation. I put down on my housing app that I wanted a roommate, but I'm not sure if we can pick our own or not. It doesn't seem like it would be a problem but who knows. I'll give the housing guy a call on Monday and I'll pm you later.

Hey guys,

Just moved to Phoenix a few days ago and I'm definitely going to be psyched to spend the next four years here. Actually, it might be closer to three considering the reality of the clinical years. Regardless, it's gonna be crazy.

Anyone planning on heading down here in the next couple of months? If anyone is up for it I thought a few of us could link up before classes begin and spend a few days backpacking in the Grand Canyon.

Hey Jason,

It's funny that I just now read your post as I finished sending an e-mail to you this morning asking if you had moved to the Phoenix area. Glad to hear that you're liking it there and looking forward to spending the upcoming years in the area. Doing some backpacking in the Grand Canyon would be great and I'll try to join you depending on when I arrive in August. Hikes in Havasupai Canyon are really cool and it would be good to be near water in the scorching temperatures that we'll see in August. I'll keep you updated on that.

-Matt

Just wanted to throw out a few ideas for off campus housing for anyone that hasn't yet had a chance to check things out down here. I spent a few days last week stumbling from one property to the next and other than maybe a head ache here's what I found.

San Prado and Arrowhead Highlands are only a block or so from campus and both offer the typical "luxury apartment experience"...a bit pricy but not bad if you're with someone or can land a roomate. Also, Monte Viejo is a property just off of the 101, maybe 10 minutes east of campus. Monte Viejo is a tight property with a contemporary flare...definitely worth checking out. Also, Camelback Square in the Biltmore District (downtown) has lofts that are worth checking out if you want to be more central...cool location but probably a 20 minute drive to campus. If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me an e-mail.

I've been putting off the dreaded FAFSA and finally decided to knock it out. What a daunting dose of reality...ouch. Well, uncle sam now has a strangle hold on me for...ohh...probably the rest of my life. It didn't really hit me until the point in the application with the estimated monthly payments. It's just crazy what medical school costs these days. On that note, I find it completely insane that the Bush administration drastically cut the funding to the loan repayment programs for those physicians that practice in underserved areas. What kind of sick logic is that?

Just curious if anyone had any advice on private lenders?

I too am looking for a quality private lender in order to take out loans that will cover the expenses past what the Stafford Loans can. An AZCOM student did recommend the site. . It has some pretty good private loans from what others have been saying. I just can't decide how much more I'm going to borrow after the maximum Stafford. Plus, I'm thinking maybe I should wait until the award letters go out to see what the finaid office offers for private loans. What can you say about the Bush administration? They just approved drilling for oil in Alaska and now they are cutting physician loan repayment funding. It's just unfortunate that we had so many people in this country who voted for that clown. Let's just hope that in 2008 they will smarten up.

Sorry this is the site you want to go to. I'm not sure where the other goes...

Inquiringmind24 said:
...it's just unfortunate that we had so many people in this country who voted for that clown.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Unfortunately, he's a clown with many puppets.

hylacinerea said:

Where did you find the housing price list for 05/06? Thanks.

Just came across this online newspaper article in this mornings issue of the Arizona Republic and I thought I should post a link to it. My thoughts on the article. In terms of clinical sites for rotations in the valley, the fact that the proposed state funded medical school in Phoenix did not receive the expected funding from the legislature could be considered a positive course of events due to the already limited rotation sites we have in teaching hospitals within Arizona. On another note, after reading the article I realized that there was no mention of Midwestern University at all. I'm not sure if what was not stated in this article reflects the currently strained state between Midwestern University and the University of Arizona. A state that indirectly effects our access, as students, to many of the teaching hospitals in the valley. I have read several threads that discuss this but I still don't understand why there has to be such tension between the two medical schools in Arizona. Any thoughts?

I'm stunned everytime I hear this talk about the tension between MWU and the UA medical school. According to the article posted above Arizona has a great shortage of physicians especially rural. Now, one would think that MWU, the Arizona AOA, private DOs, and students would all heavily lobby the state legislature to allow MWU students unlimited access to the UA healthcare system. Given the great shortage of physicians, it doesn't seem like this would be an especially difficult battle. If MWU students were granted full access to the area hospitals, it would surely increase the number of Arizona medical students that stay for residency and practice in Arizona. This seems like an easy solution to the state's shortage problem, and it wouldn't require the massive amount of funds that starting up a new med school would. Additionally, the state could even throw a few $$$ to MWU students willing to stay and practice in AZ. Someone should write a response to the article above and call it, "Actually, Arizona already has another medical school!"

By the way, does everyone know that there are actually several other DO schools that do have access to the UA hospitals? Just not AZCOM!

medtraveler said:
Just came across this online newspaper article in this mornings issue of the Arizona Republic and I thought I should post a link to it. My thoughts on the article. In terms of clinical sites for rotations in the valley, the fact that the proposed state funded medical school in Phoenix did not receive the expected funding from the legislature could be considered a positive course of events due to the already limited rotation sites we have in teaching hospitals within Arizona. On another note, after reading the article I realized that there was no mention of Midwestern University at all. I'm not sure if what was not stated in this article reflects the currently strained state between Midwestern University and the University of Arizona. A state that indirectly effects our access, as students, to many of the teaching hospitals in the valley. I have read several threads that discuss this but I still don't understand why there has to be such tension between the two medical schools in Arizona. Any thoughts?

There is no tension between the U of A and Midwestern. I promise. The problem is that Midwestern is not willing to pay hospitals like U of A does to get its students rotations. What you have to realize is that midwestern is run solely as a business, profit-only oriented. U of A is run like an educational institution with profit being part of the equation. The reason the faculty at midwestern has said that U of A is not allowing rotations to happen is because if they tell the truth, no medical student will seriously consider midwestern as their destination. We have had offers from great programs, but the school was not willing to pay. The rotations that are provided are mostly preceptorial or located in forsaken locations where the need is so high that they are willing to take midwestern students almost free of charge. As new students to AZCOM it will be up to you to make sure that your voices are heard not by the dean, but rather by the president of the University. You guys will pay almost 4 times the tuition paid at U of A. You might as well get your money's worth. Good luck.

hylacinerea said:
I'm stunned everytime I hear this talk about the tension between MWU and the UA medical school. According to the article posted above Arizona has a great shortage of physicians especially rural. Now, one would think that MWU, the Arizona AOA, private DOs, and students would all heavily lobby the state legislature to allow MWU students unlimited access to the UA healthcare system. Given the great shortage of physicians, it doesn't seem like this would be an especially difficult battle. If MWU students were granted full access to the area hospitals, it would surely increase the number of Arizona medical students that stay for residency and practice in Arizona. This seems like an easy solution to the state's shortage problem, and it wouldn't require the massive amount of funds that starting up a new med school would. Additionally, the state could even throw a few $$$ to MWU students willing to stay and practice in AZ. Someone should write a response to the article above and call it, "Actually, Arizona already has another medical school!"

Great post. Currently, midwestern is not really recognized as a medical school in Arizona. As a matter of fact hardly anyone, and I mean hardly anyone, knows what midwestern university is. The closest someone came was "oh, you guys are pharmacists, right?". The local newspapers have written on the topic that you discuss on several occasions, and on all occasions they have not mentioned AZCOM as a medical school, even when several students wrote them and tried to open up their minds. Now I do have to say, this lack of recognition is usually limited to the general public, because AZCOM has residents, chief residents, fellows, attendings or chiefs in almost every hospital. Fortunately, the quality of students at AZCOM is really, really high and there is a demand for AZCOM residents all over the country. But when your medical school does not have any affiliation with local hospitals, the media and people in general do not see AZCOM med students until they graduate and become residents at which time where you graduated from does not matter. I hope that I am not coming across as negative.

[/QUOTE]By the way, does everyone know that there are actually several other DO schools that do have access to the UA hospitals? Just not AZCOM![/QUOTE]

Yes, only AZCOM was not willing to pay local hospitals for rotations. That is why it is ridiculous when AZCOM faculty says "we tried to pay them money but they did not want our $$$$$ because U of A said no". As we all know, hospitals are highly business-oriented. I mean when you get charged $500 for one aspirin pill at the hospital, that should tell you something about the willingness of hospitals to take your money. AZCOM is a great school in the first 2 years. After that you are on your own. If you are going into family medicine then you might be okay with local preceptor-based rotations (depending on the quality of residency program you are applying to), but if you are like the vast majority of medical students at AZCOM or going into internal med, OB/GYN, Peds, emergency medicine or especially surgery, you will travel outside of the state during 3rd and 4th years to hospitals w/ residency programs in these fields that will take you and give you the hospital-based training that the entire US medical system is based on and residencies love.

To all of you AZCOM students who complain...Stop it..
As a former azcom grad who went through the system, preceptor and all, let me tell you the truth. I am now one of the residents teaching the med students at those teaching hospitals you all think are the best...I love what I do, and it is great, but for me, not so sure for you.

You do not realize how great you have it. At your friendly ol teaching hospital where you need to compete with fellow med students, residents, externs, fellows, np's, pa's, and then the attendings to learn and do work, you do not get nearly as good of an experience as you will and do at AZCOM. As you 3rd and 4th years who are complaining on this web site rather than working. I f you picked up your books, asked questions, stayed late, and went in early, spent time with the patients, whose volume at AZCOM med, with both its inpatient and outpatient system, is 10 times what you would see in the same inpatient month at most medical systems you will see how qualified you will be as residents let alone physicians no matter where you end of for residency. You have the opportunity to be one on one with the best (the attendings). ou have the opportunity to know normal patients and abnormal patients extremely well. And as a resident, I will tell you that is what you need to know when you come out ready to start your residency. And I promise you, if you actually study like you are supposed to be doing in your 3rd and 4th years, you will be more than prepared for residency and well on your way to becoming a great physician. Your actual numbers in 3rd and 4th year are usually 50% inpatient and 50% outpatient, and for 95% of medicine, you must realize your practice in residency will not be your practice as an attending. Residecy usually reflects the inefficient medical training system of traning physicians how to be hospitalists and not preparing them for their specialty.

Wake up and enjoy azcom for the great opportunities it offers you.
Yes like every medical school in the country there are school politics, but do your job and learn medicine and save lives. Trust me AZCOM does the job.

goooooober said:
Great post. Currently, midwestern is not really recognized as a medical school in Arizona. As a matter of fact hardly anyone, and I mean hardly anyone, knows what midwestern university is. The closest someone came was "oh, you guys are pharmacists, right?". The local newspapers have written on the topic that you discuss on several occasions, and on all occasions they have not mentioned AZCOM as a medical school, even when several students wrote them and tried to open up their minds. Now I do have to say, this lack of recognition is usually limited to the general public, because AZCOM has residents, chief residents, fellows, attendings or chiefs in almost every hospital. Fortunately, the quality of students at AZCOM is really, really high and there is a demand for AZCOM residents all over the country. But when your medical school does not have any affiliation with local hospitals, the media and people in general do not see AZCOM med students until they graduate and become residents at which time where you graduated from does not matter. I hope that I am not coming across as negative.
By the way, does everyone know that there are actually several other DO schools that do have access to the UA hospitals? Just not AZCOM![/QUOTE]

Yes, only AZCOM was not willing to pay local hospitals for rotations. That is why it is ridiculous when AZCOM faculty says "we tried to pay them money but they did not want our $$$$$ because U of A said no". As we all know, hospitals are highly business-oriented. I mean when you get charged $500 for one aspirin pill at the hospital, that should tell you something about the willingness of hospitals to take your money. AZCOM is a great school in the first 2 years. After that you are on your own. If you are going into family medicine then you might be okay with local preceptor-based rotations (depending on the quality of residency program you are applying to), but if you are like the vast majority of medical students at AZCOM or going into internal med, OB/GYN, Peds, emergency medicine or especially surgery, you will travel outside of the state during 3rd and 4th years to hospitals w/ residency programs in these fields that will take you and give you the hospital-based training that the entire US medical system is based on and residencies love.[/QUOTE]

Goooooober and Mohel,

Great posts. Solid insights coming from drastically different perspectives. One couldn't really ask for more than that.

medtraveler said:
Goooooober and Mohel,

Great posts. Solid insights coming from drastically different perspectives. One couldn't really ask for more than that.

Thank you medtraveler. Let me just say that I completely agree with Mohel. Not a single thing he said in his post is wrong. I am one of those students who goes in early and leaves late every day. To the class of 2009, welcome to AZCOM, you have chosen a great medical school. The purpose of my post was to educate and not to bash. You can certainly come to AZCOM and achieve all your goals, but you have to work a little harder and be a little more educated about the whole medical school and residency system than you would at a more established (and generous) medical school where everything is setup for you in hospitals your 3rd and 4th years. In conclusion, please do talk to as many AZCOM students and Grads as you can to get a very balanced view of AZCOM and residency. If you have any additional questions pm me. Good luck to you all.

The 2005 match list is available on pdf format when you go to this site. One annoying thing about this pdf is that the PGY-2 column ends up in the middle of the last five pages. Let me know what everyone thinks...

Inquiringmind24 said:
I'm interested to know if there are any current or future AZCOM students who graduated from CU-Boulder. Talking to the pre-med advisor, she told me there is a first year there right now. If you're around, I'd like to hear from you! But lets avoid topics such as the Ward Churchill and football recruiting scandles.
hey, how's it going? what year did you graduate from CU? I finished in 2001, so i've taken a couple years off. can't wait to start at AZCOM in august!

Is anyone else confused about our third and fourth year clinical rotations? lately I've found quite a few people on SDN saying that our school is not affiliated with any hospitals, and it is for profit only. so how exactly would we set up rotations ourselves when the school is not paying anything? what kind of programs would accept us to train with them without receiving money? I'm kinda worried now about the quality of clinical rotations we'll receive. Hopefully it won't be as bad as what people say on here. :rolleyes:

baobaobee said:
Is anyone else confused about our third and fourth year clinical rotations? lately I've found quite a few people on SDN saying that our school is not affiliated with any hospitals, and it is for profit only. so how exactly would we set up rotations ourselves when the school is not paying anything? what kind of programs would accept us to train with them without receiving money? I'm kinda worried now about the quality of clinical rotations we'll receive. Hopefully it won't be as bad as what people say on here. :rolleyes:

There is always so much discussion on sdn regarding this issue. It seems like there have been really good experiences and really bad experiences with this system. Overall I think the best thing to do is to look at the match lists. AZCOM grads have had great match sucess and I think that if the quality of rotations was subpar then it would be reflected in the match. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding the rotations is coming from people who might have interviewed at but didn't or don't actually attend azcom -not to say that there aren't any students at azcom that aren't satisfied with the rotation situation. As with anything it's probably what you make of it, just like in a difficult undergrad class, there were always those students who tried to fight the system and ended up with a bad grade and then went around talking about how bad the class was.

See my post from 3-4 before, and trust me, the rotations are good, unless of course you are the idiot who believes that everything will be spoonfed to you. 3rd and 4th year rotations in med school, as I now teach at the "teaching hospital", are pretty much as such. You will follow 2-4 patients depending on your skill, coupled with intermittent lecture, and then with bedside teaching, but most importantly how much of an interest you take in what you learn and what you read and ask questions about.
AZCOM as a former grad, is the same thing, except you have an opportunity to rotate in a system that has less burden of teaching a every part of the med ed process, residents, fellows, med students, pa, np, etc...You have 1:! with the attendings, have an excellent outpatient "real medicine understanding, and affiliations with inpatient hospitals in phoenix such as MARICOPA COUNTY, MESA GENERAL, John C Lincoln, at times GOOD SAM, more and more Phoenix Childrens, Tempe St Lukes, the Dept of Corrections, Arizona State Mental Health System, Kingman Regional Medical Center, The VA in phoenix and Prescott, plus loads of small regional hospitals throughout az.

Good luck on having a good as experience as you could get at azcom elsewhere.

hylacinerea said:
There is always so much discussion on sdn regarding this issue. It seems like there have been really good experiences and really bad experiences with this system. Overall I think the best thing to do is to look at the match lists. AZCOM grads have had great match sucess and I think that if the quality of rotations was subpar then it would be reflected in the match. I think a lot of the negativity surrounding the rotations is coming from people who might have interviewed at but didn't or don't actually attend azcom -not to say that there aren't any students at azcom that aren't satisfied with the rotation situation. As with anything it's probably what you make of it, just like in a difficult undergrad class, there were always those students who tried to fight the system and ended up with a bad grade and then went around talking about how bad the class was.

baobaobee said:

baobaobee, as a current and TOP student at AZCOM, I can tell you that the system is not terrible, it's just different than at every other medical shcool. I completely disagree with both Mohel and hylacinerea. A person is not an idiot for expecting to get what they pay for, Mohel. If I am going to pay 200+ thousand dollars for my education, you better believe I want a big fat spoon fed into my mouth every step of the way. Also, either Mohel is uninformed or is intentionally being misleading as there are no current affliations with any of the hospitals he listed with the exception of Kingman Regional Hospital in the middle of nowhere and Tempe St Lukes for a cardiology rotation. The fact is that 3rd year medical students are not allowed to do rotations at any of the local hospitals and they must often resort to traveling to rural areas or out of state to recieve the critical training at teaching hospitals that every decent residency requires of their applicants. Even though this restriction improves during 4th year when students are allowed to do rotations at many local hospitals, residency programs will judge you on 3rd year rotations mainly. Now, does this mean that students at AZCOM are recieving inferior education compared to other medical schools? Absolutely not!!! The reason for this is that the students at AZCOM are in general very highly motivated and the vast vast majority travel during the 3rd and 4th years to get those critical hospital rotations at teaching hospitals. So bottom line, if you are motivated and like to travel to different areas both in-state and out of state, then you can get a great education at AZCOM. But please do not be fooled by the "AZCOM Raw Raw" attitude of the few that are looking out for self-interest only. As far as hylacinerea's comments go, you don't have to be depressed, or failing or mad or stupid or whatever to objectively analyze and state the very important flaws of a program that you will commit to for the next 4 years. The way I see it, if you are going to pay 200+ thousand dollars to AZCOM and then do your rotations in another state, why not just get into the medical shcool of another state and save yourself plane ticket expenses and a whole lot of tuition.

Hey gooooober,

I know that KCOM and DMU students do almost all of their rotations out of state. Although these rotations are set up by the schools in a lottery system, wouldn't the students still be left with travel expenses ontop of paying 200000K to tuition and other fees? It seems that AZCOM's system would allow more flexibility and variety. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

goooooober said:
The way I see it, if you are going to pay 200+ thousand dollars to AZCOM and then do your rotations in another state, why not just get into the medical shcool of another state and save yourself plane ticket expenses and a whole lot of tuition.

For all the dismissal of those who defend AZCOM's setup, you'd think we wouldn't have to keep answering this question. No other medical school is going to give you the third-year experience and fourth-year flexibility that AZCOM does. For some this isn't worth the trade-off; for many of us, particularly those interested in full-scope primary care and targeting a limited and specific set of residency programs, it is.

As for those who are going on about the for-profit status of the school: I could very well mistaken, but my reading of the docs suggests that it's a not-for-profit institution. This doesn't mean that the tuition isn't rapacious; that's an open question. But I'm not sure that anyone's fattening their wallets quite so recklessly as has been suggested.

I'm so sick of seeing this post. So, here is the deal. Consider yourself lucky that AZCOM doesn't have the traditional rotation set up. You only have to go out of state for your hospital based rotations, but thats only if you choose to. You can do every one of them here in the valley if you wish or every one of them in a different state for that matter. For example, I am only going out of state for two months. And I will still fullfill the reqs. to apply for the Good Sam rotation. Its a different system. But, I prefer it. Good Sam and St. Josephs 3rd year roations are observation only. I just got a call the other day from a friend doing his OB/GYN rotation preceptor based. He assisted in a C-section and performed 25% percent of the surgery. If you think that you are going to get that kind of experience on a traditional based set up, think again. But, if you want to bitch about AZCOM because you are a "TOP student" (...please), go ahead. Why would you say that anyways? I am a top student... as if that makes you any different from anyone else attending this school. Or better yet, you need to say that in order to validify yourself. Arrogance. And in case you haven't heard, the school is trying to have the governor oust the UA contract with the hospitals in this valley. By the time the class of 2009 reaches 3rd year a lot will have changed. So be patient. Until then focus on whats important... now, not three years down the road.