***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, folks,

I'm pretty much decided on AZCOM class of 2011 and am excited to finally make a decision. I did get into several other osteopathic schools, but AZCOM had the best combination of academic and urban resources for me and my wife.

Did anyone else interview on October 31? I was the guy in the tan suit, thin on top, asked too many questions ;)

We're probably going to try for an on-campus couples apartment because the price is right, but I'm also interested in the across-the-street units that Sarikate looked at and I'd like to know in general where are the funky/cool/economical places to live around Glendale. Any suggestions from local folks?

Members don't see this ad.

HellooOO fellow classmates!!! I interviewed there on 10/30 and got accepted!!! I'm still waiting on a couple of places but I have already sent in my deposit and there is a high chance that I will be attending AZCOM. So just wanted to introduce myself and say hi ya'll!!!

Yes, I am from Texas. =):laugh:

HellooOO fellow classmates!!! I interviewed there on 10/30 and got accepted!!! I'm still waiting on a couple of places but I have already sent in my deposit and there is a high chance that I will be attending AZCOM. So just wanted to introduce myself and say hi ya'll!!!

Congrats on your acceptence. I will be attending AZCOM next year. I am also from TX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a new member to the SDN. I will also be attending AZCOM next year and I am stoked. I look forward to meeting some people through the forum.

Hi, I am a new member to the SDN. I will also be attending AZCOM next year and I am stoked. I look forward to meeting some people through the forum.

Congrats on your acceptence. I will be attending AZCOM next year. I am also from TX.

Congratulations, nph1025, Doc2007, and bubblefloof! Doc and bubble, I'm from Oklahoma, which is almost as nice as Texas ;) -- we call Texas "South Okie" ;) ;) ;) Will look forward to ribbin' ya more when classes start.

I was sold on AZCOM because of the emphasis on clinical experience in years 1 and 2, that is to say the OCM 1 and OCM 2 courses. I want to be talking with patients from the beginning, not after two years of book larnin'.

-tb

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say congrats to all my future classmates. Can't wait to meet everybody. Anyone from Florida?

Sorry, duplicate

Nice to see this thread active again! And nice to hear from all the Texans...my BF will be proud. He's a Texan too. :) CONGRATULATIONS to those recently accepted!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say congrats to all my future classmates. Can't wait to meet everybody. Anyone from Florida?

Hi Hoychez,

I interviewed at LECOM-Bradenton, nice school, but... buttondown shirts and ties, and no water in the classrooms--in Florida??? I am a munchie addict and 4 semesters of this might destroy me. Anyway it's a beautiful place, hope to visit there again. Congratulations on getting in.

Therapy ball

I am from Florida, actually LA - Lower Alabama (Pensacola area).

:clap: so happy to be on here! just wanted to say--i'm from phoenix so if anyone has any questions or wants info on the local apartments--i'm more than willing to help, too :)

Right on, Testy, you can give us the real scoop. I was there in late October and was floored by the weather. A little spooked by the rumors of 115-degree temps in the summer...but maybe I'll just spend the summer after my first year back in Alaska :)

We've decided to move in the beginning of June. My BF finishes his teaching gig then and will be wanting a summer job. I'm figuring it'll take us two weeks to drive down there :scared: What are you guys going to be doing for the summer?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say hi, congrats, and happy holidays!! Can't wait to meet everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope to travel this summer, too. europe is an excellent idea. i wonder if i could pull that one off financially and with my work. maybe i'll just have to quit :) i'm out in the scottsdale area and planning on relocating early in the summer. the drive isn't bad from north scottsdale, but i'd just as soon be able to sleep in a few extra minutes and live next door. maybe san lagos or sage stone (san lagos was the complex on the corner opposite midwestern, sage stone is the next one in).

on the subject of heat... it definitely does get hot--not gonna lie. flipflops, shorts, and sundresses are staples to our wardrobe, for many, year round. mid-may through september the exact degree of the day's high temperature is the conversation starter of choice. it's like a bragging right. you'll hear "it's a dry heat" so many times that you'll consider sending hate letters to the weathermen, but they're absolutely right--the humidity is very low. we sweat but it evaporates fast (i was in the south this summer and definitely prefer our hot to their hot). there is nothing worse than getting in and out of a hot car in the middle of the day, so you'll find creative ways to plan errands and activities around sunset or before ten AM on the worst days. old people will flock in droves to speed walk laps in our shopping malls, misters will all be set on full blast, and the pool, fan, and a margarita will become your best friend (our mexican food is to die for). the monsoon thunderstorms will hit in late july-august and light up our skies--that's the most rain and clouds you'll see all year. you won't want to go inside all winter long--it's so gorgeous. most any night, you can get by with just a hoodie and short sleeves. we work for our winters, but they really are hard to beat. :)

to touch on texas... we'll talk december 28th when my/our :) suns meet up against YOUR mavericks. it's possible we can't be friends ;)

Testy,
Thanks for posting that info. I love Mexican and Tex-Mex cooking and there's precious little of it within a 1,000 mile radius of Massachusetts :( and am greatly looking forward to correcting this deficiency in our lives.

As for travel, I highly recommend it--quit the damn job--normally I don't advocate living beyond one's means but when you're coming out the other end of this monster with $200K of debt anyway.... You'll pay it off in short order after residency though it'll be at the price of 60 hour weeks, call every 3rd weekend, etc. Might as well enjoy what's left of your youth before it's sucked out of you by the Medical Machine... ;)

-Theraball

I was curious to know where people are considering living? Some of the students I talked to during my interview seem to be all over the Pheonix area.

i'm planning on living close to campus because i'm lazy...but some areas of interest in the phx metropolitan area to check out might include
-the arrowhead area = a lot of shopping, restaurants/bars, and is just a few surface streets away.
-the westgate area has the glendale arena (hockey and concert venue), the cardinals stadium, a big movie theater, and a lot of shopping/dining. they've got some expensive lofts that they're building in this complex.
-historic downtown glendale has antique shops and some random mom'n'pop type restaurants--i think it's better to just run through rather than live in that area, though.
-heading away from glendale, my sister would suggest the central corridor and biltmore area (there's a bit of overlap in these communities). these areas are older and you'll see quite a bit of red brick and mature trees/grass. besides being a nice community, it's out of the craziness of downtown but a straight shot south on central if you want to get there. the canal is in this area and there's a nice trail to jog, bike, or walk a dog). the biltmore area has shopping and dining and stuff to do, too. brittney spears stays nearby and has been photographed in some of the shops out there. whatever that means.
-more towards central phoenix is the art district where you'll find a lot of quirky art galleries and shops. this is where first fridays are held. there are lofts and apartments in the area--but i don't think they go for cheap. the bikini lounge--a quirky, fun dive bar--is great for cheap beer and an eccentric crowd.
-scottsdale has a lot of really nice up-scale shopping, art galleries, and trendy clubs (in this area) where dudes can't wear sneakers and the drinks aren't exactly cheap. it's popular and all within a close radius, though. fashion square is a really nice mall with a nordstrom so you'll occassionally see some famous people and suns players hanging out here, too.
-tempe is home to asu-main and where all the college kids are. you'll find a lot of places to eat, shop, and go out on mill ave. they've got a fun irish pub, a piano bar, dance clubs, etc. all close within walking distance.

--sorry if any of the links don't work.--

Not from Florida, but the currently blizzardy Denver. We already have ~10 in and it's only supposed to get worse. Just another reason I'm glad to be moving to Arizona. :cool:

I'm out and I hope everyone has a great Christmas/whichever holiday you celebrate. :thumbup:

Wow, Testy, that's an awesome list! Nice to know there's someone familiar with the place around here...

I think I'm also going to live near campus because I really don't like to drive very much. I'd live on campus, but my cats would probably drive everyone bonkers and they're probably not allowed anyway.

Medschoolsoon, we're also facing blizzardness today in AK. I don't mind the blizzard as much as the darkness. Tomorrow is the shortest day of the year - sun rises at something like 10:30 a.m. and sets at 3 p.m.! I'm going crazy!

Wow, a blizzard?!? 2 days ago, I was wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. At least it's starting to get cold here (Texas). It doesn't really feel like christmas if it's not cold enough to drink hot chocolate.

Doc2007 - Where in Texas are you from?

Testy - OooO....December 28th. It's on!!! Mavs are sooooo gonna whoop up on the Suns...haha. =)

nph - I'm also lazy so i'm planning on living close to campus too...preferably at those apartments they showed us. Does anyone know how that is working out? I've sent in my card of interest but have yet to hear a response.

Merry Christmas and congrats to all!!!

-bubble-

nph - I'm also lazy so i'm planning on living close to campus too...preferably at those apartments they showed us. Does anyone know how that is working out? I've sent in my card of interest but have yet to hear a response.

Merry Christmas and congrats to all!!!

-bubble-

They told us only 30 of 70 applicants got apartments last year, and this year they're requiring local rotations for M3's so it's possible there will be even fewer available. It is a sweet deal, though; good luck with the lottery.

I'd like on-campus but would settle for across the street. In fact a couple of miles' bike ride would be ideal, but not sure the local streets are bike-friendly. (bicycle, that is)

Hi Everyone,

I'm originally from CA and I will also be attending AZCOM next year. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Just wanted to drop in and say Merry Christmas to my future classmates!!!!;)

Merry Christmas to you all as well! I'm an MS-II at AZCOM about to start hitting board study. If any of you have questions feel free to PM me as well. Like Jake, I've had a great experience at the school. I mean they really put you through the meat grinder, but I feel like I'll be well prepared for the boards.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and have an even better New Years! 2007 will be a big year for all of us.

Inquiringmind24 & Okplayer,
Here's some q's for you. With the demanding schedule that I've heard so much about, what are your thoughts on working? I plan to start a business and work 3-5 hours/week to help pay bills and gve my mind a break from studying.
Also, can we declare residency in AZ if we are coming in from out of state? Are you aware of any benifits in doing so (ie. cheaper insurance, less taxes, AZ drivers license etc).
Any other recommendations or things to think about for someone relocating to AZ?

Thanks so much!

I'll be there!! Can't wait to meet all my new classmates in Phoenix!

Namaste, I think if you are relocating to Arizona strictly for educational purposes, they won't allow you to declare residency there. I think a lot of states are like that. Although there are ways to get around that if you intend to stay, I believe.

We've decided to make our move in the beginning of June. We're going to take two weeks to drive down the coast of British Columbia, through Washington, Oregon, and California. What's that pretty highway called, the one that winds down the coast? We'll see the Redwoods. I can't wait.

We've decided to make our move in the beginning of June. We're going to take two weeks to drive down the coast of British Columbia, through Washington, Oregon, and California. What's that pretty highway called, the one that winds down the coast? We'll see the Redwoods. I can't wait.

<-- is so jealous! :love:

Hope you all had a great Christmas and have an even better New Years! 2007 will be a big year for all of us.

Inquiringmind24 & Okplayer,
Here's some q's for you. With the demanding schedule that I've heard so much about, what are your thoughts on working? I plan to start a business and work 3-5 hours/week to help pay bills and gve my mind a break from studying.
Also, can we declare residency in AZ if we are coming in from out of state? Are you aware of any benifits in doing so (ie. cheaper insurance, less taxes, AZ drivers license etc).
Any other recommendations or things to think about for someone relocating to AZ?

Thanks so much!

That's mighty ambitious of you to work during med school. There is a girl in my class who works at a clothing store on the weekends, but for the most part no one can handle a steady job. I wouldn't do it. Think about it, those 5-8 hours per week could be for sleeping, going out, and making new friends. You have the rest of your life to work. As far as the benefits of getting residency in AZ go, I would say the best benefit would be that you would be elligable for quite a few scholarships only available to AZ residents. For me, getting residency in AZ would mean paying alot more for car insurance and registration so I kept residency in OR. Which state are you coming from? That should be the deciding factor.

That's mighty ambitious of you to work during med school. There is a girl in my class who works at a clothing store on the weekends, but for the most part no one can handle a steady job. I wouldn't do it. Think about it, those 5-8 hours per week could be for sleeping, going out, and making new friends. You have the rest of your life to work. As far as the benefits of getting residency in AZ go, I would say the best benefit would be that you would be elligable for quite a few scholarships only available to AZ residents. For me, getting residency in AZ would mean paying alot more for car insurance and registration so I kept residency in OR. Which state are you coming from? That should be the deciding factor.

Thanks for the advice Inquiringmind24. You do have a good point. However, call me stubborn, but I wish to try it and test the waters. The type of work I would be doing is something I enjoy and feel passionate about, not to mention it pays handsomely.

I'll have to check into the issue of taxes, insurance, registration etc. IL is home at the moment.

Happy New Year everyone!! :clap:

Happy New Year! Just think how much more you'll know at this time next year.......:D

Thanks for the advice Inquiringmind24. You do have a good point. However, call me stubborn, but I wish to try it and test the waters. The type of work I would be doing is something I enjoy and feel passionate about, not to mention it pays handsomely.

I'll have to check into the issue of taxes, insurance, registration etc. IL is home at the moment.

Happy New Year everyone!! :clap:

Hi Namaste.

I'm a MSIV at AZCOM. I did work throughout the first half of first year 3 days a week. It was doable, but it did affect my grades. Once I realized that I could make do without the extra income, I quit. My class performance improved, as well.

I do have friends that managed to tutor throughout years 1 and 2. They kind of viewed it as board review with the added benefit of approx $10-20/hour. I would suggest that you try school by itself for a few weeks before commiting to working. Once you get into a groove, you'll be better equipped to decide if working is the right thing for you to do.

Whatever you decide, good luck, congratulations, and happy new year. Have some fun and relax before school begins.

Cyndi

I was accepted to AZCOM, but I'm waiting to hear back from Des Moines. I really can't decide which I like better. Both are great programs...

Small edge to Des Moines based on our particulars. Your own particulars may give AZCOM the edge. Go with the "gut" in this case I guess or break out the miscellaneous minor stuff and total things up. If the Des Moines school was in Brandenton, say, then no contest (except for traffic and cost of living), but can't have everything.

Small edge to Des Moines based on our particulars. Your own particulars may give AZCOM the edge. Go with the "gut" in this case I guess or break out the miscellaneous minor stuff and total things up. If the Des Moines school was in Brandenton, say, then no contest (except for traffic and cost of living), but can't have everything.

Exactly how I feel. I think this might be a time to breakout the minor stuff and see. Fortunately, I still have time to contemplate and think through the whole thing.

Hey All! I sent in my deposit to AZCOM back in December. I am excited about finally making this a reality!

2 Quick questions though -
1) Has anyone gotten any paperwork since putting in their deposit?
2) Has anyone seen the inside of the apartments on campus? Are they decent? has anyone seen the one bedroom w/den? It sounds like a good deal.

Thanks.......

I plan on living on-campus just for the first year because I feel that it might make it a little bit easier to get to know my classmates, plus, I heard that it is a bit cheaper. By concentrating on school, I think working would be tough, so I am on limited budget here. But, they seem as though they would be as nice as the rest of the facility.
Congrats to all those accepted to our class and I look forward to meeting all of you in August!! :D I am coming from New York and cannot wait to see the sun shining EVERYDAY!

I did receive a matriculation agreement along with the acceptance packet. That had items to fill out and send back, along with a request for on-campus housing. However, after speaking with Jose from the student housing department, I discovered that the housing request paperwork will not be sent out until Feb. or March from AZCOM.
If anyone would like to get a hold of me, you can catch me via email at [email protected]. Talk to you soon!

Has anyone received their midwestern online login/email info yet from the financial aid office?

I haven't yet received anything after submitting my technical standards/matriculation agreement and first deposit, which they probably received 2-3 weeks ago. Anyone else?

here's what they say about financial aid stuff on interact now (gotta love copy/paste :cool:)
Financial Aid Items
The Financial Aid application process begins at the start of each calendar year (January 1). Once you have submitted your first matriculation deposit and it has been processed, the Office of Student Financial Services will send you information on your MWU email account as well as your username and password for the Online.Midwestern.edu system. With this web-based system, you can easily track any documents you need to submit, your financial aid application status, and your financial aid award letter. If you have already received your username and password, you can access this site at: online.midwestern.edu. For questions about the Financial Aid items, please call or email the Downers Grove Campus at 630/515-6101 or [email protected] or the Glendale Campus at 623/572-3321 or [email protected].​

I'm getting ready to send in my deposit and I'm so excited!! Where's everyone living? Know of any good areas to go househunting?

Welcome to the club, Peppy! My fiance and I are going to be living across the street at the San Lagos apartments. Since there's two of us, the rent isn't too hard to swallow (about $1000 for a 2-bedroom, which is only slightly higher than we're paying now). After first year we might look at buying a house...

Hey, anyone know if there's an accepted students day? Some other schools have something like that the spring before school starts...I wouldn't mind going down to visit again.

I'm from Tampa, Florida... not accepted [yet] to AZCOM, but REALLY want to go here... I'll keep my spirits high and pretend like I'm part of this group:D

Welcome to the club, Peppy! My fiance and I are going to be living across the street at the San Lagos apartments. Since there's two of us, the rent isn't too hard to swallow (about $1000 for a 2-bedroom, which is only slightly higher than we're paying now). After first year we might look at buying a house...

Hey, anyone know if there's an accepted students day? Some other schools have something like that the spring before school starts...I wouldn't mind going down to visit again.

Yeah, I looked at San Lagos while I was there interviewing, but they didn't allow large pets. So :( My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out if we should look at buying a house or finding an apartment for our 100lb. beast.

No idea on the accepted student's day, but good question. Keep us updated!