***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I looked at San Lagos while I was there interviewing, but they didn't allow large pets. So :( My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out if we should look at buying a house or finding an apartment for our 100lb. beast.

i poked my head into san lagos and they told me that sage stone (right next door) takes dogs of any size :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Tampa, Florida... not accepted [yet] to AZCOM, but REALLY want to go here... I'll keep my spirits high and pretend like I'm part of this group:D

Good luck nsolana. How long ago did you interview? An earlier interview date would have been greatly in your favor. No worries if it was recent, however. I was told that in the past they have accepted students as late as February/March.

Above all else, trust that the right school (hopefully AZCOM!) will reciprocate your enthusiasm and support you in your vision.

Keep us posted and stay optimistic!

I didn't interview until somewhere around February, along with some other classmates. No worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the club, Peppy! My fiance and I are going to be living across the street at the San Lagos apartments. Since there's two of us, the rent isn't too hard to swallow (about $1000 for a 2-bedroom, which is only slightly higher than we're paying now). After first year we might look at buying a house...

Hey, anyone know if there's an accepted students day? Some other schools have something like that the spring before school starts...I wouldn't mind going down to visit again.

I've actually never heard of accepted student day. Maybe it's something new that the school got started recently. It sounds like a pretty cool event and would be great to attend for the those who live in the area.

i poked my head into san lagos and they told me that sage stone (right next door) takes dogs of any size :)

Yeah, I went and looked at all those apartments when I was there. But the pet deposit for her is absurd and they charge pet rent, so it was a more than likely no.

As for the accepted student's day, just wanted to clarify that we wanted to know if one existed, not that it did and we wanted to know a date. :) Maybe we should attempt to organize a happy hour August 20th or something if there isn't one (school starts the 22nd with orientation). Do I sound too enthusiastic? :)

I would totally recommend arranging a get-together before orientation starts using SDN. For my class a group of us met up at Old Chicago just a few days before orientation started. Last year, the 2010 class met up for food and drinks at Buffalo Wild Wings. Make sure to do all of the socializing you can before classes start....

at the risk of sounding like a 13 year old girl, is anyone on myspace? :oops:

Yeah my profile link should pop up below.

Okay the link did pop up in post #104. I don't understand why the signature only comes up under certain posts....

Congrats on your acceptence. I will be attending AZCOM next year. I am also from TX.

Wow, can't believe there were two other people from Texas in a row! I'm attending graduate school at Texas State right now, but am from Dallas. Where are ya'll from? When you moving to Phoenix?

Wow, can't believe there were two other people from Texas in a row! I'm attending graduate school at Texas State right now, but am from Dallas. Where are ya'll from? When you moving to Phoenix?

I am also from Dallas. I am planning to move there during first week of August.

Hi future AZCOM students. I know that some of you are already starting to look at apartments. I don't recommend San Prado. I'm not trying to be negative but I really think I will save you some trouble by warning you early. These apartments are usually frequented by Midwestern students due to it's proximity (they are the closest apartments to school). I chose to live here at first because I believe that you get what you pay for. That hasn't been the case with San Prado. It's ridiculously expensive (1000-1500 per unit) and the service is horrible. I could deal with those prices if the service and ammenities were amazing but I don't feel that is the case. My wife and I didn't have heat for a week. It took them a week to get someone to repair something as basic as a thermostat to repair our heat. We also has issues with our air conditioning in the summer. They keep raising the rent each year and they are not loyal to existing tennants because they feel they don't need to be due to the proximity to the school. There are so many apartments that are as nice and 200-300 dollars cheaper. Don't get sucked into living here because of it's proximity to school. I'm sure some San Prado tenants will disagree with me as it is their right so I won't argue with them. This is just my take

sorry for my rant and I will answer your questions when I get some time. And don't be scared. Medical school is a lot of work but it's a lot of fun too. I'm friends with Inquiring Mind and he can attest to that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads-up about San Prado. I assume San Lagos is similar since they are owned by the same company. Alas, I might suck it up anyway just because of the proximity, since my fiance will be using the car!

I got my letter from the IT department today with my AZCOM webmail address and password. Aww, a whole new e-mail to use! The first e-mail I received? Financial aid instructions! Ahh...can't wait to get started on that! :eek:

RahulAZCOM,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience in San Prado apt. Are you still there? And where would you recommend looking if not the places right across the street? I was hoping to stay within walking distance of the campus since, like others, my wife and I will be sharing one car for a while. Maybe within biking distance? I hear you don't have to worry about snow and ice too much down there ;)

Hi future AZCOM students. I know that some of you are already starting to look at apartments. I don't recommend San Prado. I'm not trying to be negative but I really think I will save you some trouble by warning you early. These apartments are usually frequented by Midwestern students due to it's proximity (they are the closest apartments to school). I chose to live here at first because I believe that you get what you pay for. That hasn't been the case with San Prado. It's ridiculously expensive (1000-1500 per unit) and the service is horrible. I could deal with those prices if the service and ammenities were amazing but I don't feel that is the case. My wife and I didn't have heat for a week. It took them a week to get someone to repair something as basic as a thermostat to repair our heat. We also has issues with our air conditioning in the summer. They keep raising the rent each year and they are not loyal to existing tennants because they feel they don't need to be due to the proximity to the school. There are so many apartments that are as nice and 200-300 dollars cheaper. Don't get sucked into living here because of it's proximity to school. I'm sure some San Prado tenants will disagree with me as it is their right so I won't argue with them. This is just my take

sorry for my rant and I will answer your questions when I get some time. And don't be scared. Medical school is a lot of work but it's a lot of fun too. I'm friends with Inquiring Mind and he can attest to that!

Thanks so much for your rant :) I'll make sure to keep them off my list!

I am also from Dallas. I am planning to move there during first week of August.

Making the move out to Phoenix by yourself? Or do you have a significant other to take with you? Or any pets or animals? I'm actually from out near Frisco. Close by?

Has anyone started on their financial aid application? Do you have to wait until you file your tax return?

I'm pretty sure you have to wait until you file the return...or at least that's a reason to delay it a little longer!

I didn't interview until somewhere around February, along with some other classmates. No worries.

I interviewed in early april and was accepted 2 weeks after that. I think that it was because I got my secondary in at the last minute though. Good luck!

Hey everyone, I have been accepted and am excited to be going to AZCOM this year! It will be nice to get to meet some fellow classmates before we actually start classes. Anyone else from Michigan by any chance?

Welcome to the party, JW!

I'm not from Michigan but about 29384324 people I know are, including my best friend, who lived in Kalamazoo!

Hey everyone, I have been accepted and am excited to be going to AZCOM this year! It will be nice to get to meet some fellow classmates before we actually start classes. Anyone else from Michigan by any chance?

I'm from Michigan too (Shelby Twp.)...in my class aside from Arizona, there are more students from MI than any other state--25 I think followed by Utah. So I'm sure there will be a lot of others from MI too in your class.

Word of advice...enjoy your time before med school--especially your weekends. Once you start having exams every Monday, your weekends are over. I definitely study more than I expected to since I have a master's degree and had to take many of the same classes in grad school.

Enjoy your time til you start!

HEY ALL!!
I am about 90 % sure i will be attending AZCOM in the fall!! cant wait to meet all of yall. I was just wondering what the 3rd and 4th year rotations were like (if there are any 3rd and 4th years here) Not really familiar with this preceptor based training, does that mean there are not that many traditional rotations in hospitals? Well anyways just wondering, good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear them!! :luck:

I'm from Michigan too (Shelby Twp.)...in my class aside from Arizona, there are more students from MI than any other state--25 I think followed by Utah. So I'm sure there will be a lot of others from MI too in your class.

Word of advice...enjoy your time before med school--especially your weekends. Once you start having exams every Monday, your weekends are over. I definitely study more than I expected to since I have a master's degree and had to take many of the same classes in grad school.

Enjoy your time til you start!

I am excited to hear about all the other students from Michigan! I am looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation. Also, I think the happy hour idea is a good one!

Welcome to the party, JW!

I'm not from Michigan but about 29384324 people I know are, including my best friend, who lived in Kalamazoo!

Yeah, it's funny, I've met soooo many people from Michigan that I feel like I've been there although I never have. Living in Colorado there were a bunch of people from MI and now here in AZ there are even more. In July I'll be doing my first rotation in IM at Botsford Hospital just outside of Detroit. I'll finally get to see why so many people leave the state......

Yeah, it's funny, I've met soooo many people from Michigan that I feel like I've been there although I never have. Living in Colorado there were a bunch of people from MI and now here in AZ there are even more. In July I'll be doing my first rotation in IM at Botsford Hospital just outside of Detroit. I'll finally get to see why so many people leave the state......

Where in CO did you live?

HEY ALL!!
I am about 90 % sure i will be attending AZCOM in the fall!! cant wait to meet all of yall. I was just wondering what the 3rd and 4th year rotations were like (if there are any 3rd and 4th years here) Not really familiar with this preceptor based training, does that mean there are not that many traditional rotations in hospitals? Well anyways just wondering, good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear them!! :luck:

Domb,

Are you referring to the OCM course--2 hours every other week in a physician's office during 1st & 2nd years. This has nothing to do with clerkships; it's just early exposure to clinical environments. It's one of the things that sold me on this school.

Best of luck,
Theraball

Thanks FMR for posting the letter about orientation. It is never to early to start getting excited about school!:)

Hey all,

I look forward to meeting/learning/growing/striving/succeeding with all of you at AZCOM this coming fall ;)

lots of love...

I created group for Class of 2011 on Facebook. You guys are welcome to join it. Group name is AZCOM Class of 2011. It should come up if you search it by AZCOM.

Congrats everyone! I'm a first year and I love it...minus the school part of course! I am looking for a female roommate to live with me in my brand new townhome. It's furnished and has a garage and washer/dryer. It's an 8 minute drive from school. It's close to a mall and tons of restaurants/bars (not that you'll have time for any of that). But if you know of anyone who's looking, let them know. And let me know if you have any questions also. See you all soon.

Attachments

• lr2630967-1.jpg
    lr2630967-1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 203
  • lr2634523-3.jpg
    lr2634523-3.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 195
  • lr2634523-7.jpg
    lr2634523-7.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 190
I have been accepted. I have to decide between Jefferson (and maybe Dartmouth) before March 1!!

Congrats everyone! I'm a first year and I love it...minus the school part of course! I am looking for a female roommate to live with me in my brand new townhome. It's furnished and has a garage and washer/dryer. It's an 8 minute drive from school. It's close to a mall and tons of restaurants/bars (not that you'll have time for any of that). But if you know of anyone who's looking, let them know. And let me know if you have any questions also. See you all soon.

Your townhome looks gorgeous! Did you just buy it or are you renting it? My boyfriend and I are looking for one of the two options and would love any input you have!

The townhouse looks very nice. How much would the cost be to rent out a room?
I am most likely going to live alone, however, I am exploring all my options. If anyone is interested in going in on a two or three-bedroom apartment to cut costs, let me know. I feel that we are all in the same boat (as poor little book-worms) come August. We could definitely save a little money by looking into this idea.
Looking forward to meeting with everyone!

I just had to share this groundbreaking moment in my life - I just sold all of my MCAT prep books on Ebay! They are ALL GONE! What a feelin'...

I just had to share this groundbreaking moment in my life - I just sold all of my MCAT prep books on Ebay! They are ALL GONE! What a feelin'...

Nice, I erased the MCAT from my memory long ago.......that's probably why I couldn't do a physics or gen chem problem now. Although the boards are going to be tough, at least there won't be a VR section with passages about art masterpieces or abstract philosophy!

Your townhome looks gorgeous! Did you just buy it or are you renting it? My boyfriend and I are looking for one of the two options and would love any input you have!
I am actually only looking for female roommates. I have two rooms available. The bigger one is 450/month while the smaller is 400.

Hey Everyone! I have a quick question. Has anyone heard about or gotten an application for student housing? I remember hearing that the housing applications would go out in early February. So now that it is around that time I am just wondering. Can anyone shed some light on the situation??

Thanks ;)

RahulAZCOM,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience in San Prado apt. Are you still there? And where would you recommend looking if not the places right across the street? I was hoping to stay within walking distance of the campus since, like others, my wife and I will be sharing one car for a while. Maybe within biking distance? I hear you don't have to worry about snow and ice too much down there ;)

Yes, I'm still at San Prado If I had to do it again, I would have bought a house nearby.These homes are within biking distance. I'm a non-traditional student so I owned a home in the past when I was working. I was intimidated to purchase a home because I thought that maintaining a home would be an extra-responsibility that would interfere with school. In hindsight, I truly regret not having bought a home. I have so many friends that own homes and the value of their homes have gone up. Furthermore, the homes in this area are really nice. Right now is a buyers market in Arizona. There are so many nice houses for sale in the Arrowhead area that were not available last year. A lot of these homes are anywhere from 50-100K cheaper than a year ago. And we are talking about some crazy nice homes. A guy in our class bought a home that has a pool, hot-tub and a tennis court. It's a beautiful home. I like Inquiringmind's home or rather his roommate's home. It's a nice two story home with a lot of space.

And if you are worried about costs, it's pretty easy to find roommates that will rent from you. I know that inquiringmind rents from another AZCOM student. If I could do it again, I would look into buying a home.

San Prado and San Lagos are so expensive that you won't pay much more to actually own or rent a home nearby. Also, there are nice apartments west of the school. I really don't know their exact addresses but if you drive around, you will notice them off the 101. Also, there are some nice apartments nearly the mall and Costco that are about 5-10 minutes away.

If I had to choose between Lagos and Prado, I would choose Lagos. It's bigger and older but they tend to give better deals there. Right nowthere is a sign in front of Lagos that is offerring 1 month of free rent, Prado has no such sign. Also, I know that San Lagos is far more relaxed in regards to their guest policy and swimming pool policy. At Prado, you are strictly prohibited from brining food in the pool area even if you cooked it in a grill just outside the pool. You can drink near the pool at Prado but it must be in a plastic container so you can't bring bottles or cans near the pool at Prado. I have friends at Lagos, that regularly bring bottles and food near the pool area and they don't make a big deal of it. I feel like the only real advantage to Prado is that it's a smaller and quieter community. I think the finishings while nice are overrated at Prado. Who cares if my stove is black versus being white at Lagos?

It sounds like interviewing later isn't much of a problem... mine is on 7 March -- how were the interviews at the school for you guys?

If I get in my choice will be between COMP and AZCOM, I've spent my entire undergrad in So Cal and the thought of the costs to live in So Cal again are churning my stomach... If AZCOM has a good vibe -- in addition to its excellent stats -- I'm most likely there...

What is it about the school that sold it for you all?

Hey Everyone! I have a quick question. Has anyone heard about or gotten an application for student housing? I remember hearing that the housing applications would go out in early February. So now that it is around that time I am just wondering. Can anyone shed some light on the situation??

Thanks ;)

I called the housing office last month to ask them about the application for student housing and they told me that they would be sending out the application in mid-Feb. Maybe wait another week or try calling the housing office?

hi friends,
i got another little packet from midwestern in the mail the other day and it included something about housing. the brochure has an application request card and says applications will be sent in March.

contact info for the ResLife office-- phone: (623) 572-3848
email: [email protected]

mtthwscott1: i just PMd :cool: you

Thanks for the information! I called Residence Life & Mr. Ponce yesterday. He is gone until 2/19/07 but on his answering message he said that the applications for student housing would go out in early March. So that is when they will come! :p

Hey Goozbah! That sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. I would be interested in the smaller room because I am trying to keep my living expenses to a minimum. Have you found anyone else interested in the place? How is the pool? How big is the smaller room? Please email me with some details at [email protected]. I am hoping to have my housing situation settled by the end of March. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! Thanks! :)

Has anyone heard the pros and cons of living on-campus vs. off-campus from AZCOM students in classes ahead of 2011? I am trying to keep my costs low, however, I want to be in a position which I can meet the most people, too. That is actually more important to me in the long run. If you have ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Has anyone heard the pros and cons of living on-campus vs. off-campus from AZCOM students in classes ahead of 2011? I am trying to keep my costs low, however, I want to be in a position which I can meet the most people, too. That is actually more important to me in the long run. If you have ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

I read a post on the AZCOM myspace page that it isn't really a good idea to live on-campus if you are easily bothered by noises i.e. kids playing. Since there are a lot of students with families, there will be kids playing in and around the housing. I don't know if this is a real concern or even a problem. I'm going to live off-campus, but 2-3 miles max from school. Housing in Glendale isn't that bad. You just have to do your research. Check out apartments.com and you can find a lot of apartment complexes. Good luck!!