AZCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So after reading some of the forums on here I found out there are two different types of lists at some schools, a wait list and an alternate list, any one know if AZCOM has 2 lists as well or is it just 1?

Members don't see this ad.

the lady at the admissions office said the first week of June

Does anyone know how the alternate list works? is it ranked or random?

I believe soon after the final interview cycle is over, they will then await for final responses from those who are to either accept / put a deposit down or decline acceptance.

From that point they will go over all alternate list candidates (those who interviewed and were put on the alternate list). I believe the number of people is either high 80's or low 90's. The adcom will then meet and go over all the applicants and decide who they will offer a acceptance too. By my understanding, at this point it is not ranked, they will go over all alternate candidates. I suspect we must be down to 10-15 seats by now, but I am sure there will be some people who will withdraw last minute as well.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe soon after the final interview cycle is over, they will then await for final responses from those who are to either accept / put a deposit down or decline acceptance.

From that point they will go over all alternate list candidates (those who interviewed and were put on the alternate list). I believe the number of people is either high 80's or low 90's. The adcom will then meet and go over all the applicants and decide who they will offer a acceptance too. By my understanding, at this point it is not ranked, they will go over all alternate candidates. I suspect we must be down to 10-15 seats by now, but I am sure there will be some people who will withdraw last minute as well.

Hope this helps.

Well I did not get in this year. :-(

I know this has been asked a million times, but whats a good cell phone provider in that area, or can someone direct me to that page?

I interviewed 5/2 and just received a letter in the mail today to this affect:

You have been "provisionally accepted" for the class of 2012 but due to the unusually high number of candidates that have made deposits to hold a space in this years class of 2012, we are only able to offer you a seat in the class of 2013 at this time. We believe there is a very high probability that someone will withdraw their application and you will be admitted to the class of 2012 but there are no guarantees. However, your position is very strong and you should take this as encouraging news. The moment a position opens we will call you. We have arranged automatic acceptance into Midwestern University's Master of Biomedical Science program if you are looking for a guaranteed option to continue your studies this fall.

I have heard of people deferring an acceptance for a year but I haven't heard of this before, but maybe its not that rare...I don't know. Anyways, sounds like as of now the class is full.

I know this has been asked a million times, but whats a good cell phone provider in that area, or can someone direct me to that page?

I live near the school and you can get good reception with any of the main companies. Phoenix is a big city so you won't encounter any problems. Many people have Verizon, Tmobile, Alltel, AT&T etc. . . .

apparently i got a letter from midwestern on friday or saturday, saying that i was put on the alternate list. I guess they were quite quick to response, esp. since they told me that the adcom would be meeting on friday. hmm. they told the 10+ students interviewing that there were only a couple of spots left that day. oh well.

hi everyone! i am looking for an 1-bedroom apartment that is close to the school, best if walking distance. does anyone has any suggestion? i was looking at the "san Lago" and "Sage something" luxury apartment. is anyone living there or knows anyone living there? I read some pretty bad reviews about the "sage" apartment, how that cops show up quite often there. Thanks in advance! :p

Yea outside of the San Lagos, San Prado, and Sagestone are there any other options? I'm looking for a studio in particular, anybody have any suggestions?

I'd also like to know this too. A lot of the SMP people are talking about it now, and as soon as I hear back from potential roommates, I think I'm settling for San Prado for their 3/2 configuration. But, I'd love to hear other options or thoughts on these complexes.

i am staying at country gables apartments, they are completely gated with access codes and do security/police background checks on all tennants. it is like 2.4 miles south of the school on 59th and dirctly accross from thunderbird school of management. for a 400 sq ft 1bd apt that has seperate rooms for br and living room it is like 600 with taxes, water, fees, etc. you also have your own private balcony with storage and covered parking space.

i am staying at country gables apartments, they are completely gated with access codes and do security/police background checks on all tennants. it is like 2.4 miles south of the school on 59th and dirctly accross from thunderbird school of management. for a 400 sq ft 1bd apt that has seperate rooms for br and living room it is like 600 with taxes, water, fees, etc. you also have your own private balcony with storage and covered parking space.

thanks for the info, how would you say you like it there? Have you lived anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ack, I was hoping it would be closer, along the lines of San Prado/Lagos close. But I guess we can't do more better in terms of location. The problem is the polarizing opinions on those two places.

I found these apartments that are really nice and they are a great deal! Basically for mwu students you get your ($200) deposit waived and your ($40) ap fee as well. PLUS you get $25 off your monthly rent. If you sign up now you get 2 months rent free. They are holding this special for me for 60 days so that i can get august and sept. free. I'm really excited. The floor plan I picked was 1000 sq ft and 2 bd room for $855/mo and they are brand new only 4.5 miles from the school and a great location.

I found these apartments that are really nice and they are a great deal! Basically for mwu students you get your ($200) deposit waived and your ($40) ap fee as well. PLUS you get $25 off your monthly rent. If you sign up now you get 2 months rent free. They are holding this special for me for 60 days so that i can get august and sept. free. I'm really excited. The floor plan I picked was 1000 sq ft and 2 bd room for $855/mo and they are brand new only 4.5 miles from the school and a great location.

Are you trying to make us jealous by not telling us which apartments you are talking about? ;)

soo...anyone hear anything as far as what to expect for potential waitlist movement? it sounds like there won't be much movement, especially if there are people with 'provisional acceptances'. I'd definitely like to know how many people are on THAT list.

soo...anyone hear anything as far as what to expect for potential waitlist movement? it sounds like there won't be much movement, especially if there are people with 'provisional acceptances'. I'd definitely like to know how many people are on THAT list.

I would love more info on the 'provisional acceptances' as well - I did not know that they existed until someone posted that they had one. It is hard to be optimistic about the waitlist, and it certainly seems as though there hasn't been much movement. :(

Hey 2012er's,

Keep the hope if you're on the waitlist. If you're already in, I'm looking for a new roommate for next year to share a 2 bedroom/2 bath 1100 sq/ft apt at Sagestone. It's 5 mins from campus walking. I'm a 2010er and I'll be on rotations about half the time. Rent is $500 plus half utilities. It's an excellent location to save on gas and what not. The apartment is basically furnished (since I have furniture already). You'll just need stuff for you room. I'm an easy roommate to get along with and you won't have to deal with me being around half the time when I'm on away rotations. I'd prefer a male roommate but it's not required. Call me at 217-417-2657 (Nick) or e-mail me at [email protected] The room is available as early as July 15th. Did I mention I'm a good cook too?

Thanks,
Nick

Hello AZCOMers!

I wanted to get an initial estimate/survey. I will be getting hold of a house near AZCOM. It will be a:

4 bedroom,
2 bath,
double story,
big kitchen,
living room etc ...
About 5-10min drive to Campus.

The monthly rent would be around $450/mo or less . Are there people who would be down to live in a house ? I am thinking about having 3 roommates and you get your own room! If you wanna share, then your cost would be around $ 225/mo (I am guessing most people want to have their own room though) ...

Who would be down to live in a House? Just curious.....by saying "yes" now.. you are by no means obligated to live there.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone on the waitlist called to get info on where they are on the list? I know that the alternate letter states that the list isn't ranked, but I have heard that there are High, Medium, and Low priority groups. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Has anyone on the waitlist called to get info on where they are on the list? I know that the alternate letter states that the list isn't ranked, but I have heard that there are High, Medium, and Low priority groups. Does anyone know if this is correct?

There probably is a ranking system but they won't tell you. They didn't tell me when I sent them an email.

When I called they didnt tell me anything. They just said to WAIT.....booo

So I found out today that I was accepted to the MA in Biomedical Science program today at midwestern (az). I'm still hoping that I'll get off the waitlist for AZCOM, but it doesn't look very likely (does anyone know if there has been ANY movement?). So to everyone who was lucky enough to get accepted...I'll be seeing you around campus I suppose...hopefully as a fellow med student...but at least as a fellow student!!

I was one of those with a "provisional acceptance" and was just contacted yesterday and given 24 hours to give a response. As of today I officially deferred my acceptance until next year, so hopefully one of you will get my spot. Best of luck.

I was one of those with a "provisional acceptance" and was just contacted yesterday and given 24 hours to give a response. As of today I officially deferred my acceptance until next year, so hopefully one of you will get my spot. Best of luck.

doesn't the provisional acceptance mean that u are already deferred to next year since the class is full and you are just too good to be passed up?

doesn't the provisional acceptance mean that u are already deferred to next year since the class is full and you are just too good to be passed up?

Yes, I was initially deferred (by their choice not mine) to next year since the class was full but they said they would contact me as soon as a spot became available in this years class. When they contacted me to offer me the spot for this fall, I declined and chose to keep my spot in next years class.

Yes, I was initially deferred (by their choice not mine) to next year since the class was full but they said they would contact me as soon as a spot became available in this years class. When they contacted me to offer me the spot for this fall, I declined and chose to keep my spot in next years class.

i applaud your decision :thumbup:

Hey Hopefuldoc let me start of by saying CONGRATULATIONS! Also if you don't mind me asking what were your stats? Thanks and grats again!

anyone know anymore updates regarding the alternate list? recently, one person has been accepted off the alternate list...anyone else?

I just called the admissions office, and they told me no one has called off the alternate list. sounds like she was very unhelpful b/c someone here got accepted off the list...