AZCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I met you today then...I'm glad you liked it. Have a safe trip back to Cali.

Thanks! Perhaps we will see each other again this Fall. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Ki how did you get involved with the interview day? Did they recruit you or did you volunteer?
Both...I was chillin outside of class one day with a friend, and an interview group was coming through led by an admissions counselor. I asked if they were DO interviewers, and if they had any questions in case they hadn't talked to a student yet.

The admissions counselor asked me after the Q and A session if I could drop by a do it on a regular basis. We have about 10 other 1st years that do it too...all the 2nd years that did it now do interviews for you guys.

i don't understand how that can be b/c when i called a few weeks ago, they still had about 100 spots open...

I have a friend who recently called and apparently they have about 40 seats open now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Housing question:

If it says we are assigned apartment A104, does that mean it is on the first floor? Because that would be nice.

I have a friend who recently called and apparently they have about 40 seats open now.
Today was a cutoff for the last month's round...there was slightly less than 40 seats.

That being said, a few of the 215ish will decide to go elsewhere after they threw down the deposit...but it shouldn't be too many. Its late in the game now. Good luck to anyone waiting to hear back, the committee for this week's interview group meets on the 15th of this month.

Today was a cutoff for the last month's round...there was slightly less than 40 seats.

That being said, a few of the 215ish will decide to go elsewhere after they threw down the deposit...but it shouldn't be too many. Its late in the game now. Good luck to anyone waiting to hear back, the committee for this week's interview group meets on the 15th of this month.

Does that mean that there will be less than 250 students in the upcoming class? (like less than 215?). Maybe I'm slow.

Does that mean that there will be less than 250 students in the upcoming class? (like less than 215?). Maybe I'm slow.
No no no...its just that there are about 215 seats filled at this time. There are still 2 weeks of interviews left to choose from, not to mention wait list. It looks like 250 will be easy to get to.

Does anyone by any chance plan to live (or live) at Sierra Canyon apartments? or are there any good recommendations for decent housing in the 700-750 range for a 1 bedroom? :sleep:

Does anyone by any chance plan to live (or live) at Sierra Canyon apartments? or are there any good recommendations for decent housing in the 700-750 range for a 1 bedroom? :sleep:
I have 2 friends that live there...solid places.

Across the street from campus there should be plenty of 1 bed places in that range...San Lagos, San Prados, and another one.

I have 2 friends that live there...solid places.

Across the street from campus there should be plenty of 1 bed places in that range...San Lagos, San Prados, and another one.

Do you know of any places in the $400-$650 range? Studio or 1 bedroom, doesn't matter. I'm only bringing what I can fit in my (tiny) car, so I won't need much space. Doesn't have to be the greatest neighborhood. Thanks!

Not to dwell on the weather, but I really need you guys to set me straight. I'm genuinely upset about this dilemma because after learning a lot about AZCOM I have become really excited about the school BUT, and this is a big BUT-

I really really really don't think I can handle the heat. Weather is just starting to warm up here in the NW and yesterday it hit the 70's and I was miserable...my hands swell up to the point that my wedding wring causes me pain, and I just lose all my energy. I know Az is dry heat, but yesterday it was only 45% humidity here, so its not like it is super humid here or anything and I still can't handle anything above 70-ish.

Do you guys think I should even bother applying? I've already ruled out ALL Fl schools because of the natural disasters + heat + insane humidity...I don't want to waste the money if I really couldn't stand living there.

Thx for the input

Not to dwell on the weather, but I really need you guys to set me straight. I'm genuinely upset about this dilemma because after learning a lot about AZCOM I have become really excited about the school BUT, and this is a big BUT-

I really really really don't think I can handle the heat. Weather is just starting to warm up here in the NW and yesterday it hit the 70's and I was miserable...my hands swell up to the point that my wedding wring causes me pain, and I just lose all my energy. I know Az is dry heat, but yesterday it was only 45% humidity here, so its not like it is super humid here or anything and I still can't handle anything above 70-ish.

Do you guys think I should even bother applying? I've already ruled out ALL Fl schools because of the natural disasters + heat + insane humidity...I don't want to waste the money if I really couldn't stand living there.

Thx for the input

Um.... most people acclimate. But if 70 degrees is too hot for you, then AZCOM might not be the best fit.

Just my opinion. I don't live there (yet) so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

My grandmother lives in Arizona, so I use to go out there every summer for two weeks when I was little. The summers get REALLY hot. It is usually always above 100. Yes it is a dry heat, but it is still hot. I'm sorry to say you will probably be miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's interesting that you say that the adcoms will meet on the 15th!?!? I was told this at my interview there last week as well. Surprisingly, I went into my MWU page today, I'm already accepted at CCOM, and it now says that I "have been accepted to two schools at MWU, please select a campus". Apparently I've been accepted at AZCOM 5 days after the interview and even before the adcoms have met. I was told that AZCOM has efficient adcoms but this doesn't seem right. Has anyone else who interviewed this week seen a change on their MWU website that indicates an acceptance? Maybe you could shed some light on this Ki45toryu. I hope this is not a mistake. I'm having a horrible time trying to decide between CCOM versus AZCOM. (No disrespect to those who are still awaiting an acceptance)

Thx for the input

I KNOW what you are saying about your hands swelling and giving you pain, i get that EVERYWHERE except Arizona! That is why a lot of people live here. Dry heat means exactly that, ZERO percent humidity. It is hot, but it doesn't cause pain :) When I go anywhere else in the U.S., I can't even deal with 80 degrees, but here in AZ I can deal with 115 and am fine. Just a thought from someone who has lived here and understands how humidity can be HORRIBLE

It's interesting that you say that the adcoms will meet on the 15th!?!? I was told this at my interview there last week as well. Surprisingly, I went into my MWU page today, I'm already accepted at CCOM, and it now says that I "have been accepted to two schools at MWU, please select a campus". Apparently I've been accepted at AZCOM 5 days after the interview and even before the adcoms have met. I was told that AZCOM has efficient adcoms but this doesn't seem right. Has anyone else who interviewed this week seen a change on their MWU website that indicates an acceptance? Maybe you could shed some light on this Ki45toryu. I hope this is not a mistake. I'm having a horrible time trying to decide between CCOM versus AZCOM. (No disrespect to those who are still awaiting an acceptance)
Since I was doing interview stuff last week, I was probably the one that told you they were efficient....wow, I didn't know that efficient though. I would give the admissions office a call...reason being there is still one more interview day(tomorrow) before they go to the committee. But maybe the 15th was just the very last possible day for decisions to be made...even the admin staff told me it was the 15th. Give them a call tomorrow though and see what comes to fruition.

And if you do get accepted to AZCOM, and have to make a decision between both programs, that is a great problem to have. Good luck making that choice if it becomes available.

I KNOW what you are saying about your hands swelling and giving you pain, i get that EVERYWHERE except Arizona! That is why a lot of people live here. Dry heat means exactly that, ZERO percent humidity. It is hot, but it doesn't cause pain :) When I go anywhere else in the U.S., I can't even deal with 80 degrees, but here in AZ I can deal with 115 and am fine. Just a thought from someone who has lived here and understands how humidity can be HORRIBLE

Dang...now you've got me being hopeful about it again...idk, maybe I should just hope for an interview and see how I do.

But I'm still up for more opinions!

Thx for the input

Doc Henry -- it's only for 2 years, then you're off to rotations, though year 3 will be mainly in Phoenix. Everything's air conditioned here so you're not going to be boiling all the time, except of course that AZCOM is an outdoor style campus as opposed to a big box like LECOM Bradenton or Touro Las Vegas, so you'll be seeing some weather. But realistically, you only have to deal with the desert heat for a couple of months from late August to late October, and then it's gorgeous weather for the rest of the winter.

that is a great problem to have. Good luck making that choice if it becomes available.

Nevertheless, it's still a problem. I was hoping for the easy way out, a rejection from AZCOM.

Nevertheless, it's still a problem. I was hoping for the easy way out, a rejection from AZCOM.

If you were hoping for a rejection from AZCOM then it sounds like you really want to go to CCOM. Both are great schools so go where you will feel most comfortable!

hey guys, I have an interview May 12th (applied at the deadline)...anyone know how many spots will be open then? Also, is there a student host program, and if not, where should I stay nearby campus? Thanks!

hey guys, I have an interview May 12th (applied at the deadline)...anyone know how many spots will be open then? Also, is there a student host program, and if not, where should I stay nearby campus? Thanks!

Good Luck on your interview, I just have a question for you, were you on the waitlist for an interview, thats where I am stuck, just hoping for an interview!

curious if you are a Hip fan? signed the anonymous Canadian

Good Luck on your interview, I just have a question for you, were you on the waitlist for an interview, thats where I am stuck, just hoping for an in

no, sorry- i was never on the waitlist

Hey, I'm interviewin on the 12th too...I guess I'll meet you there. I hope we are not interviewing for wait list spots.:cool:

As noted earlier in this thread, there were about 35-40 spots still open for the fall class. The admissions committee met yesterday to decide on the last round of interviews before May, but I'm not sure how many people interview in each round. If you call admissions before your interview, or ask them on the interview day, they will tell you about how many are open.

The admissions folks told us they interviewed about 600 people in previous years to fill ~150 spots... they also said they increased "slightly" the number of people they interviewed, so I don't think they interviewed 400 more potential students.

A

I interviewed last Tuesday at AZCOM and found out today I'm on the alternate list.

I called today and asked what they decided for me as well.... i also got put on the alternate list.... i'm not happy at all to say the least

I called today and asked what they decided for me as well.... i also got put on the alternate list.... i'm not happy at all to say the least

hey, it's better than being rejected after an interview. I interviewed at Ross just to get rejected, that sucks.

With alternate list you may still have a good chance of getting in, only you may have to wait awhile. (i.e a few days b4 orientation).

My friend at LECOM suggest to put your self on the wait lists for apartments in the Glendale area.

Sorry to hear about the alternates...hopefully there will be spots available at the end of the cycle...or good luck to you guys if you decide to go elsewhere.

Sorry to hear about the alternates...hopefully there will be spots available at the end of the cycle...or good luck to you guys if you decide to go elsewhere.

Does anyone have any interview advice? What questions do they like to ask? How many people are on the interview panel?

I may be getting some jitters because I only got interview invites for LMU-DCOM and here, and I was wait-listed at LMU. Even if I get off the waitlist, I know being a late accept sucks.

Does anyone have any interview advice? What questions do they like to ask? How many people are on the interview panel?

I may be getting some jitters because I only got interview invites for LMU-DCOM and here, and I was wait-listed at LMU. Even if I get off the waitlist, I know being a late accept sucks.

check the interview feedback forum. They are pretty standard interview questions. Sometimes there is a random one thrown in. You are interviewed by three people at once: one prof, one local DO, and one current med student. Be yourself (i know, GREAT advice) but it was a really relaxed feel. Oh, they have copies of your PS and resume, but no scores. They will probably refer to those. Good luck on your interview!

Wow, good luck to the interviewees! It's awesome that they're still doing them.

As a somewhat related note, it seems I will be going to AZCOM's MA Biomedical sciences program for the 08-09 cycle, so I might actually see some of you folks in and out. I need to start getting in those housing talk too. Please continue!

I was just wondering if anyone who was placed on the waitlist earlier in this years cycle has received an acceptance? Just wondering if waitlist applicants are re-evaluated each time the adcom meets or how that works.

ha, we're like twins!! my only other interview was also at LMU-DCOM and i was also waitlisted there.

i'm surprised the spots are filling up so quickly. i kinda wish i chose to interview there now. does anyone know how many they have open as to right now?

ha, we're like twins!! my only other interview was also at LMU-DCOM and i was also waitlisted there.

yeah, fraternal (dizygotic) twins, since we're of opposite genders

yeah, fraternal (dizygotic) twins, since we're of opposite genders

i'm not really sure how to explain the fact that you are several years older than me...my first thought was cloning, but that would have had to have gone seriously wrong for the whole opposite genders thing to pan out.

on another note. anyone else on here interviewing on 5/5?

Two weeks to the day from my interview my interact now account changed to the matriculation agreement.

Good luck to those still waiting

Two weeks to the day from my interview my interact now account changed to the matriculation agreement.

Good luck to those still waiting

Congrats!

Hiya guys,
Why is AZCOM forum so quite!? Anyway I do have an interview coming up on the 05/06, was just wondering how many others here are interviewing on that day? How are you feeling? Excited? Nervous?

Does anyone know of a good cellular provider in the Glendale area? My contract is up, and I am looking for a new one with decent coverage in the area. Thanks!:)

Does anyone know of a good cellular provider in the Glendale area? My contract is up, and I am looking for a new one with decent coverage in the area. Thanks!:)

ditto. i need something with a good long distance plan too, cuz i'm gonna be calling canada a lot lol.

The AACOM.org website has a link to discount cell phone contracts, I think it was with ATT, it was a better deal that what I have with them, and you do have coverage across the US. However I have been dissapointed with the fact that I don't have good reception in my own house- what good is Japanaphililondon if I can't make a call from my own home. Otherwise its been a good deal.

i was just wondering if anyone knows if azcom is still interviewing and how many seat are left? i think they were going to increase the class size this year from an email i received earlier in the application cycle