AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite!! Scheduled for September 16th

Members don't see this ad.

when were the files complete for all of you and what were ur guys' stats?

I was complete on 7/19. cGPA: 3.45, sGPA:3.29 and MCAT 29 (8/10/11 P).

Is anyone else flying there? I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal on my plane ticket! :D

this is worrying me....my mcat score ugh. i received the complete file e-mail on 7/8 and still no invite :(. i think a retake is in order

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete on 7/19. cGPA: 3.45, sGPA:3.29 and MCAT 29 (8/10/11 P).

Is anyone else flying there? I want to make sure I'm getting the best deal on my plane ticket! :D

yeah i am gonna have to take time off work and fly, and I am trying to gauge whether it is likely to get an invite from SOMA, and if I could make one trip.

also are there any current students or new acceptees that can give us a rundown on the interview day? it says Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri Morning. Is this something that I could catch a flight later that day or should I plan on sleeping that night and flying back the next morning?

Check the AZCOM website, I just got the invite! Interviewing on 9/16 :)
OOS cGPA 3.23 sGPA 3.37 MCAT 30T.

I did not get any e-mail notification of the invite, I had to log in to the AZCOM site and saw it.

Last edited:
getting worried :[ no interview yet. OOS cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.1 mcat 29S. :(

Did anyone else on the alternate list get an interview invite for next year? I wish I were getting in this year instead! But it is great getting another interview at this school. Midwestern is awesome.

also are there any current students or new acceptees that can give us a rundown on the interview day? it says Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri Morning. Is this something that I could catch a flight later that day or should I plan on sleeping that night and flying back the next morning?

You'll start out the morning in one of two groups: one interviews first (three interviewers interviewing you at the same time for a total of 25-30 minutes) and the other goes on a walking-tour of the campus; by about 10:00am or so, the groups switch. Then you go to lunch in the cafeteria and they'll take you on an optional tour to look at the on-campus housing, the MWU clinic, and maybe the sim lab (not sure if they've actually started showing it to interviewees or not). If you go to the entire thing, you should be done by 3:00/3:30 at the latest, but you're not obligated to go to the optional tour of housing and whatnot and when they email you details of the interview, they'll likely send you a schedule and make mention of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else on the alternate list get an interview invite for next year? I wish I were getting in this year instead! But it is great getting another interview at this school. Midwestern is awesome.

Placed on alternate list last cycle and just got interview invite this morning. Scheduled for Monday, Sept. 19.

Really like the school. Good luck to all applying.

Hello Everyone,

Just received an interview invite this morning, and set the date for Sept 22. Is anyone else interviewing on that day? If so, where did you decide to stay?

Stats: 4.0 cum gpa, 31N MCAT.

Thanks!

question - are we allowed to change the interview date after making the initial selection? or is it set in stone once we hit that 'Select' button?

question - are we allowed to change the interview date after making the initial selection? or is it set in stone once we hit that 'Select' button?

You can change it whenever you want. I was able to move mine up from April 6 to Feb 28 last year

Has anyone else looked into the hotels in the area? I searched some of the ones they provide in the interview confirmation email but I haven't reserved anything yet.

Do any current students have a recommendation (besides Drury)?

Got an interview yesterday as well. I am very excited. CCOM is my top choice but they are a little slower on the e-mails. Anyone else interviewing on the Sept 23rd?

People who are alread attending, what would you say distinguishes AZCOM from CCOM. When I wrote the essay's for the school I said the same stuff because the websites are almost indistinguishable but I would like to be a little more specific about the school in interviews.

was trying to decide between monday the 19th and friday the 23rd, and I went to schedule and monday wasn't available, so it looks like I am friday the 23rd.

Hey Guys,

I am scheduled to interview with AZCOM as well and was wondering if anyone has found any information regarding the types of questions we can expect in the interview. Thanks in advance!

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate it; this link looks very helpful. Best of luck in your interviews! :)

How are you guys going to go to the school from the hotels?
Taxi? or are you guys going to rent a car for a day?

How are you guys going to go to the school from the hotels?
Taxi? or are you guys going to rent a car for a day?

Call the hotel before and ask if they offer shuttle service. Many decent hotels will have someone to take you there, even if for a small fee (definitely cheaper than a taxi)

Call the hotel before and ask if they offer shuttle service. Many decent hotels will have someone to take you there, even if for a small fee (definitely cheaper than a taxi)

Thank you! I assume they also offer shuttle service to pick you up from the school once you are done with the interview right?

When were you guys with interviews complete? I didn't submit all of my stuff until 7/29. Wondering how long it took?

When were you guys with interviews complete? I didn't submit all of my stuff until 7/29. Wondering how long it took?

I was complete 7/16 and saw the invite 7/29. Just keep checking your portal, it could happen anytime.

fingers crossed... and toes, and legs, and anything else for good luck... I hate the waiting...

Just booked my flight! $325 round trip..not too bad. Where is everyone staying? I'm interviewing the 23 but Im not leaving Arizona until the 24...

Interviewing the 23rd as well buut probably flying out that day to save some money. I plan on staying at that Drury Inn. It is a good price, shuttle to the school, and a decent hotel.

I'm thinking about staying at the Drury as well. I read good things about it on last years thread. I wanted to fly out Friday night but there weren't any flights

Submitted my secondary 2 min ago and LORs were sent a few days back.

Lets hope for an interview invite!

Submitted my secondary 2 min ago and LORs were sent a few days back.

Lets hope for an interview invite!

Same here. Submitted both AZCOM and CCOM just now.

What do you think? When should we hear back?

Interview invite!! Scheduled for early Oct.! :)

How long did it take to get the complete email? I submitted LORs last week via Interfolio and submitted secondary on Monday evening. I did CCOM at the same time and got CCOM complete yesterday, but no word from AZCOM.

Cmon AZCOM, I love you.

Interview invite. October 7th. complete:8/2
sGPA: 3.22, cGPA: 3.38, 28M

i just called in today and they told me my status was waitlist to interview.. is anyone familiar with what this status?

Finally got complete today after having to send my LORs twice through interfolio.

CMON INTERVIEW INVITE!

AZCOM's one of my top choices.

i just called in today and they told me my status was waitlist to interview.. is anyone familiar with what this status?

thats my status too :(. I called them and talked to an admissions counselor. For me I am guessing its because of my low mcat score. i am retaking it. how are ur stats?

thats my status too :(. I called them and talked to an admissions counselor. For me I am guessing its because of my low mcat score. i am retaking it. how are ur stats?

damn, that's my status, too. *sigh* guess it'll just be a wait & see thing with this school.

Assuming your application is complete, it likely means your GPA and/or MCAT are a bit too low but not quite low enough to flat-out reject you. This is actually better than a rejection because it means the school likes aspects of your application enough to keep you in the "maybe" pile. My best suggestion if it's a GPA issue is to update them with any summer grades you might have once they're available and/or to update them with this fall's grades. If it's an MCAT issue, you need to take the MCAT again and update them with the new score whenever it becomes available. Aside from that, just keep them updated on any additional activities (research, publications, shadowing, etc) that you have going on (though, if it's a numbers issue I'd personally forgo extracurriculars in lieu of better class/test performance).

Basically, the ball is in your court. If you aren't proactive and show the school that you're doing stuff to make yourself a better applicant and alleviate their concerns, you can consider this a rejection. If you're proactive and show the school you mean business, your chances of an interview will definitely be greater.