AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sorry about hearing that. sometimes i feel like being held in limbo even longer would be worse than a rejection. i really hope things pan out for you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your application is complete, it likely means your GPA and/or MCAT are a bit too low but not quite low enough to flat-out reject you. This is actually better than a rejection because it means the school likes aspects of your application enough to keep you in the "maybe" pile. My best suggestion if it's a GPA issue is to update them with any summer grades you might have once they're available and/or to update them with this fall's grades. If it's an MCAT issue, you need to take the MCAT again and update them with the new score whenever it becomes available. Aside from that, just keep them updated on any additional activities (research, publications, shadowing, etc) that you have going on (though, if it's a numbers issue I'd personally forgo extracurriculars in lieu of better class/test performance).

Basically, the ball is in your court. If you aren't proactive and show the school that you're doing stuff to make yourself a better applicant and alleviate their concerns, you can consider this a rejection. If you're proactive and show the school you mean business, your chances of an interview will definitely be greater.

yes, i had a feeling that the waitlist status was because of my low mcat score. i need to bump it up from a 24 to 28 somehow even though my gpa is at a 3.76. taking it sept 2nd.....thank you for the information, appreciate it!

Last edited:
damn, that's my status, too. *sigh* guess it'll just be a wait & see thing with this school.

Is that the same as the "hold for interview" status?

If so that is the status I had last year and I was invited to interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my interview invite via email!!! FIRST ONE! I am SO happy! Who else will be interviewing here?

How are you guys going to get to campus from the airport? The school sent an email about hotels and the shuttle. The shuttle costs like $23 each way. Would it be cheaper to just rent a car on priceline?

Is that the same as the "hold for interview" status?

If so that is the status I had last year and I was invited to interview.

How long did it take between being placed on hold and actually getting the interview notice?

Thanks! The timestamp says it was sent at 12:48am this morning.. I found out this afternoon. I haven't picked an interview date yet but so far I'm looking at mid-October. :)
Congrats! Did they tell you today?

Assuming your application is complete, it likely means your GPA and/or MCAT are a bit too low but not quite low enough to flat-out reject you. This is actually better than a rejection because it means the school likes aspects of your application enough to keep you in the "maybe" pile. My best suggestion if it's a GPA issue is to update them with any summer grades you might have once they're available and/or to update them with this fall's grades. If it's an MCAT issue, you need to take the MCAT again and update them with the new score whenever it becomes available. Aside from that, just keep them updated on any additional activities (research, publications, shadowing, etc) that you have going on (though, if it's a numbers issue I'd personally forgo extracurriculars in lieu of better class/test performance).

Basically, the ball is in your court. If you aren't proactive and show the school that you're doing stuff to make yourself a better applicant and alleviate their concerns, you can consider this a rejection. If you're proactive and show the school you mean business, your chances of an interview will definitely be greater.

i sent everything in about a month ago.. but yeah my overall gpa 3.2 and i gotta 25 on my mcat.. my extracurricular profile is good tho so maybe thats y they gave me that status.. but yeah i am now gona start shadowing a do (i already have shadowed an md) thnx for the advice i hope i end up getting called.. ill def post up here if i here back...

Interview Oct 10th! Just booked a room for the 9th at the Drury. Since I'm from Cali I figure I can just drive there on the 9th, stay the night, interview, then drive home after :) Very excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will see ya'll there on October 17th!!

if i go to azcom i would consider living near asu in tempe, about 40 minutes away, would this be too much of an inconvenience, or any students make this commute? also what is the general schedule of classes, would i be able to skip lectures if they are recorded/what are required attendance classes?

unfortunately the lectures are not audio or video recorded, and when I interviewed it didn't seem like they would start recording them anytime soon, I think they want to encourage attendance by not having that available.

How come you'd live so far away, there are a ton of nice apartment complexes really close to the school that a lot of the students live in

if i were to practice in california some day, would azcom help me in that regard or would western-comp be significantly better for that?

Invite today! I'll be there some time in October.

First Interview invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am so freaking excited! Good luck everyone!!

Can everyone that was offered an interview comment on when their application was complete and when they were offered an interview (not fast-track) please? The waiting and anticipation is killing me!

Can everyone that was offered an interview comment on when their application was complete and when they were offered an interview (not fast-track) please? The waiting and anticipation is killing me!

You might find the Interview Invite thread very useful as it provides the complete date, interview invite date, and interview date for each school. I was complete 8/7 and the invite came 8/9 at 1 A.m. My states are about average for the school so I do not think it was fast track, Good luck!

Just to reiterate to anybody who's been waiting for an interview invite for awhile, make sure you check the portal and aren't waiting on an emailed invite because a lot of times an email never comes even though you've been offered an interview (and the portal will always show this invitation).

if i go to azcom i would consider living near asu in tempe, about 40 minutes away, would this be too much of an inconvenience, or any students make this commute? also what is the general schedule of classes, would i be able to skip lectures if they are recorded/what are required attendance classes?

The traffic/commute would be a hassle (there are 7:00AM exams and 7:30 classes), but I do have classmates who commute from that area so it is doable if you're dead set on living in Tempe instead of near campus.

As far as skipping classes, at least as an MS1, most classes you can skip and still do well. Lectures aren't recorded by the school but professors do permit students to record their lectures for use within their study groups. Also, the only classes that have mandatory attendance are the first class of each quarter, all labs/workshops you're assigned to, and that's pretty much it.

I was complete 7/25 and offered an interview 7/29. I never got an email, I had to check the website.

Oh Shiiii..

AZCOM Interview Invite!

That's two interviews in one day! Yes please, thank you sir, may I have another?

AZCOM is really dragging its feet with my letters. They were released thursday; got an email on monday reminding me that my secondary was incomplete and I called to make sure they'd gotten them. They said yes, but today I got ANOTHER reminder email and my letters still aren't uploaded. All I want is a complete app so I can be reviewed!!!

Got my invite too! Does anyone know if they offer Saturday interviews at all?

So I saw that some people never received an e-mail so I just decided to check my portal, and I have an interview too!! 10/17

Yahoo, just got an invite. Will be there 10/17. Second invite this week :)

Now if there was just an easy way to get from NY to Phoenix, I'm jealous of the poster that mentioned driving to AZCOM.

AZCOM is officially the only school that hasn't downloaded my letters...should I call again today?

AZCOM is officially the only school that hasn't downloaded my letters...should I call again today?
i would say go for it if you've given it a few days. i sent mine on interfolio and they had it marked on my status page like 2 days later.

I sent my AZCOM letters before through Interfolio but the address of the school listed had a bunch of "null" entries for the street address, etc. I figured since it was going to be sent electronically it wasn't an issue. I waited 2 days and resubmitted again and that time there was no "null" listed and AZCOM downloaded it the same day.

Just called and the lady's like, "oh...it doesn't look like we have them...maybe call back early next week?" When I talked to admissions on Monday they said they had them and should be updating my status. What the hell.

Just called and the lady's like, "oh...it doesn't look like we have them...maybe call back early next week?" When I talked to admissions on Monday they said they had them and should be updating my status. What the hell.

I had to send my letters twice. They updated the status of my letters the day after they were sent via interfolio.

Hi everyone :) Got my invite today and got the earliest day available (Nov 28!) Does anyone know if having such a late interview will affect my chances significantly? My stats are 3.74c, ~3.6s 28R, lots of exp: 100+ hrs shadowing, research, lots of volunteering etc... Thanks :)

Hi everyone :) Got my invite today and got the earliest day available (Nov 28!) Does anyone know if having such a late interview will affect my chances significantly? My stats are 3.74c, ~3.6s 28R, lots of exp: 100+ hrs shadowing, research, lots of volunteering etc... Thanks :)

No you're fine. It seems like they had a set of interviews from Oct 11-17 and the next set of interview dates is Nov 28-30.

You're fine. I submitted my secondary this year in late Jan, interviewed Feb, got accepted March :)

Regardless, AZCOM interviews late...all the way into May. Keep stalking the portal and earlier dates will bound to pop up.

Cool thanks, I feel better lol and will keep trying to reschedule for an earlier day!

if you're in the area, do you have any recommendations on where to stay aside from the list that the school has out?