AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, could you please tell me about your experiences? What attracted you to the school and what do you like about it?

Thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If so, could you please tell me about your experiences? What attracted you to the school and what do you like about it?

I was affiliated by internship there.

Two words of advice: Avoid Kingman.

Beyond that, not quite sure. It's a nice looking campus though. Freshly constructed buildings and student housing that looks pretty plush, and most likely EXPENSIVE.

The facilities and faculty are nice at AZCOM. All the buildings still look new because they constantly do renovations. I guess they're in the process of expanding the cafeteria right now. If you live on campus the price of housing is fairly reasonable - about $700 for a single bedroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was affiliated by internship there.

Two words of advice: Avoid Kingman.

Beyond that, not quite sure. It's a nice looking campus though. Freshly constructed buildings and student housing that looks pretty plush, and most likely EXPENSIVE.

I'm surprised that you still carry the bad experiences even to new threads. I remember reading that old thread about the troubles in Kingman and only near the end of the thread was it really about the internship.

I'll be honest and say that Kingman may have its problems, but you're talking about a program that doesn't exist anymore (traditional rotating internship). We've had EM residents from Kingman talk to our EM club and they love what they do. Sure, the town may be dreary, but the training is good. I don't know why you still have that spite after all this time.

Also, on campus housing is cheaper than most nearby apartments. It's still way cheaper than anything you'd find in California. You'd spend the money driving back and forth somewhere anyway, so that's my rationale.

Thanks for starting the new thread ShyRem. Like last year, I helped a lot of prospective and current students in the previous year's thread, located here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=738392

The second post on the front page has a lot of information and much of it is subject to change, but it is still a great resource for common questions.

well I guess I'll be applying while being on the WL!

Unless something happens before June 1 - I will be too!

I'm surprised that you still carry the bad experiences even to new threads. I remember reading that old thread about the troubles in Kingman and only near the end of the thread was it really about the internship.

I'll be honest and say that Kingman may have its problems, but you're talking about a program that doesn't exist anymore (traditional rotating internship). We've had EM residents from Kingman talk to our EM club and they love what they do. Sure, the town may be dreary, but the training is good. I don't know why you still have that spite after all this time.

Also, on campus housing is cheaper than most nearby apartments. It's still way cheaper than anything you'd find in California. You'd spend the money driving back and forth somewhere anyway, so that's my rationale.

Then I hope you match there for residency and have a good time. I have my reasons to not favor them and I know I am not alone in my sentiment. If you think they're good enough for you, then why should a mere posting here stop you? Pull the trigger and do your residency there. I dare ya! :D

Leemer how is Pat L and Dave from NY doing these days?

I'm currently a second-year student and am more than happy to help out with any questions you have regarding AZCOM.

Also, as this thread will likely expand significantly with time, I'll point out that many times the question(s) you want answered have also been asked by previous posters and you can oftentimes find the information you need by using the thread-specific search function which can be found in the toolbar directly beneath the page number listing for this thread.

Don't let the process drive you too insane and best of luck. :thumbup:

Also, I've attached the 2000 - 2011 match data for AZCOM.

Attachments

• Copy of Match locations 2000-2011.xlsx
    93.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The facilities and faculty are nice at AZCOM. All the buildings still look new because they constantly do renovations. I guess they're in the process of expanding the cafeteria right now. If you live on campus the price of housing is fairly reasonable - about $700 for a single bedroom.

I'll also throw in that on-campus housing prices include all utilities (including cable and internet) except electricity. That being said, starting out this past fall quarter, the internet worked great but since about January it has sucked (other people I know have contacted IT to see why it's been running so slowly [slow to the tune of a 3 minute Youtube video taking 10 minutes or more to load] with no real success).

Last edited:
I'll also throw in that on-campus housing prices include all utilities (including cable and internet) except electricity.

Sounds like a great deal. Is the housing apartment style where you have to share common rooms? I assume they're furnished too?

Sounds like a great deal. Is the housing apartment style where you have to share common rooms? I assume they're furnished too?

The apartments on-campus are like living in any other apartment, they all have their own kitchens, bathrooms, living space, etc. The only layouts you'll share anything with others in are if you live in a two-bedroom with a roommate or if you have housing that doesn't have a washer and dryer in the unit (most apartments) you'll have to use the communal laundry rooms spread throughout the complex.

The apartments come unfurnished.

Also, housing is gated and has 24/7 campus security.

Last edited:
How about family housing? Are there any 3 bedroom houses near by that would be acceptable to live in? Price?

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if it's worth paying high tuition price for AZCOM. I know there are many cheaper DO schools but wanted to know what attracted current AZCOM students despite the high tuition cost.

BTW, AZCOM is my top choice with CCOM being close 2nd. I'm attracted to their clinical rotation sites in LA.

G'luck to all those applying this yr.

I'm a bit confused by the layout of this new thread since it was merged with a very old thread. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it can be confusing for people looking for info on the 1st page.

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if it's worth paying high tuition price for AZCOM. I know there are many cheaper DO schools but wanted to know what attracted current AZCOM students despite the high tuition cost.

BTW, AZCOM is my top choice with CCOM being close 2nd. I'm attracted to their clinical rotation sites in LA.

G'luck to all those applying this yr.

Only you can decide this, but I'm not going to lie; by the time you graduate, it will exceed a quarter million for 2016 and beyond, with interest rates being 6.8 at the lowest. It can be overcome of course, but again, if LA is where you want to be, consider Western or Touro-CA as possible options.

Then I hope you match there for residency and have a good time. I have my reasons to not favor them and I know I am not alone in my sentiment. If you think they're good enough for you, then why should a mere posting here stop you? Pull the trigger and do your residency there. I dare ya! :D

It's a shame that you can't even hide your malice. I can only speak only mildly for EM, but for the hospital as a whole, I can't say. Every mention of Kingman on SDN has brought you there to lay down the hate, and I'm not sure what benefit that gives you other than a sense of vindication. It didn't work out for you and I'm sorry, but your vitriol about a program that doesn't even exist there anymore isn't going to convince anyone.

I'm sure if someone gets an EM spot in Kingman, they'll be thrilled. If you only hope the worst for them, then that speaks for itself.

Got the invitation to complete the secondary today!

Edited to add the essays:

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class?

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

• Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests
The essays have a 1500 character limit.

I received my secondary yesterday, as well. Good luck everyone, things are finally in motion!

So I'm applying at both CCOM and AZCOM and I have a quick question. Their secondaries are the same...can I write similar (or identical, with some tweaks) things on the essays? Will the same people be reading them?

So I'm applying at both CCOM and AZCOM and I have a quick question. Their secondaries are the same...can I write similar (or identical, with some tweaks) things on the essays? Will the same people be reading them?

Yes. No. They're two separate admission committee!

Lol. I copy and pasted the same exact answers. I just changed "AZCOM" to "CCOM" in the essay about why our school.

It's okay, it's not that bad, I did it for every single school I applied too! :laugh:

Edit: But tbh, I truly didn't know "why our school" until I went to the interviews/orientation and talked to current medical students.

Last edited:
It's okay, it's not that bad, I did it for every single school I applied too! :laugh:

Edit: But tbh, I truly didn't know "why our school" until I went to the interviews/orientation and talked to current medical students.

I know. Same here when I interviewed at AZCOM this year (still hoping I get in from the waitlist!).

In the interview they asked me why AZCOM twice. I talked about board scores, the history of the school. It wasn't until after I saw the campus and talked to students and faculty that I really knew the answer to "why AZCOM". Of course my interview was over when I figured all that out!

It's funny to me and kind of illogical that schools even bother asking the "why our school" question. We really know very little about the school until we go through the interview or orientation process.

I know. Same here when I interviewed at AZCOM this year (still hoping I get in from the waitlist!).

In the interview they asked me why AZCOM twice. I talked about board scores, the history of the school. It wasn't until after I saw the campus and talked to students and faculty that I really knew the answer to "why AZCOM". Of course my interview was over when I figured all that out!

It's funny to me and kind of illogical that schools even bother asking the "why our school" question. We really know very little about the school until we go through the interview or orientation process.

I felt the same way. You can really tell a lot about a school by student satisfaction. The fact that students take the time out of their busy schedule to help faculty with interviews is a good indication of faculty student relationships. I also reapplied while being waitlisted.

I felt the same way. You can really tell a lot about a school by student satisfaction. The fact that students take the time out of their busy schedule to help faculty with interviews is a good indication of faculty student relationships. I also reapplied while being waitlisted.

I am considering re-applying to AZCOM this year. I am kind of discouraged though by the fact that they waitlisted me. And it makes me wonder if they would do it again a second time. Do I have to change my essays from last year? I am using basically the same PS.

I am considering re-applying to AZCOM this year. I am kind of discouraged though by the fact that they waitlisted me. And it makes me wonder if they would do it again a second time. Do I have to change my essays from last year? I am using basically the same PS.

Plenty of people get wait-listed one year only to get in the next. If the adcom had no interest in you whatsoever, you wouldn't be on the WL. As far as essays, my guess is most people use ~the same ones from year to year, they just change a bit here and there. Though, a lot of people also think of better essays between cycles and use the new ones instead.

Got this at 2:22AM:eek: last night:

"Greetings from the Office of Admissions at Midwestern University, Arizona campus. Our office has recently received all of your required application materials and your application to the Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine is complete.

Completed applications are reviewed and invitations to interview on our Glendale campus are made on a rolling basis. We will be in contact with you once a decision has been made on your application. Thank you once again for applying to Midwestern University and good luck in the admissions process.

Midwestern University
Office of Admissions"

:D

Plenty of people get wait-listed one year only to get in the next. If the adcom had no interest in you whatsoever, you wouldn't be on the WL. As far as essays, my guess is most people use ~the same ones from year to year, they just change a bit here and there. Though, a lot of people also think of better essays between cycles and use the new ones instead.

Ok, I thought about it and I will re-apply. That makes one essay I don't have to write.

I received the 2:30 am email as well! :)

I shadowed a DO for a few months, but I did not get a letter from him. I do have an MD letter.

Is ~3.5GPA and a 31MCAT going to make up for this?? I love this school but I don't wanna be judged simply for not having the DO letter
any opinion will help thanks!

Does anyone know if I can submit more than 2 letters... I have an MD letter, but am waiting on a DO letter, I am wondering if I submit my MD letter now, if I could submit the DO letter when I get it?

I shadowed a DO for a few months, but I did not get a letter from him. I do have an MD letter.

Is ~3.5GPA and a 31MCAT going to make up for this?? I love this school but I don't wanna be judged simply for not having the DO letter

Does anyone know if I can submit more than 2 letters... I have an MD letter, but am waiting on a DO letter, I am wondering if I submit my MD letter now, if I could submit the DO letter when I get it?

People get into AZCOM without D.O. letters all the time, especially when their stats are good. As far as accepting more than two letters, I'm not sure what they'll do with the extra letter, but unless you're WL'd I doubt it would help your cause much, but I'd contact admissions to be sure.

my stats are.... 3.18 c/sGPA, 3.85/3.93 c/s PB GPA (79 credits) and 26Q, I have thousands of hours of volunteering, decent LORs, etc... So, I'm not sure where I sit...

Is anybody else having a hard time finishing the secondary essays for this school? I think after I finished my first four secondaries I lost a little steam... :confused:

did he say no? cuz that's cold

Is anybody else having a hard time finishing the secondary essays for this school? I think after I finished my first four secondaries I lost a little steam... :confused:

:thumbup: especially since i decided to make a new entire CV for it... don't really know what i was thinking haha

He didn't say no, I didn't even ask because I felt like I didn't do anything particularly good that deserved it.

....I am emo... I know... lol

I'd ask him for one. What's the worst he'll do? Say no. You'll still be in the same boat as you are now if he says that. In all reality, a lot of docs are well aware of the fact that students are shadowing them for three reasons: application fluff, LOR, and "exposure." Docs don't expect you to learn how to perform a quadruple bypass, Mohs surgery, or manage a patient with eight different chronic diseases on your own by watching them, they just want you to show some sort of interest...or even just show up, depending on the doc.

*I'm not trying to lecture you, rather encourage you to do something that will only benefit you and your application(s) in the end.

He didn't say no, I didn't even ask because I felt like I didn't do anything particularly good that deserved it.

....I am emo... I know... lol

dude, i shadowed my doc twice and he wrote he a LOR. just include a packet w/ your PS & some other EC's and he/she will write you one.

he/she probably did the same thing when applying

so I had to call here today because my school sent the wrong letter packet and the woman said the committee was looking at my application basically while we were on the phone!!!!! This means they are starting to review!!!!!!:)

This is a great school. The campus is beautiful too.

I'm still waitlisted from last year. Hoping to get in this year, but I'm re-applying regardless.