AZCOM students any questions for a current medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The OP of this thread (I just figured you'd all like to know), got a sweet residency at Univ of AZ in anesthesiology and will be doing her transitional year next year with County here in AZ in surgery! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just to let all of you know, since I know she is too modest to post this.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jhug
he's talking about ice-cream and you throw some comment about a congressman?!?!?! :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: ice cream, man I don't know what he is talking about I know it's gotta be funny. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kristing
The OP of this thread (I just figured you'd all like to know), got a sweet residency at Univ of AZ in anesthesiology and will be doing her transitional year next year with County here in AZ in surgery! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just to let all of you know, since I know she is too modest to post this.

Cool, that makes two of our class doing their residency over at U of A. Congrats to her.

For those wondering about the cafeteria situation...It's open!

7:30am ? 2:30pm Monday ? Friday

The Fresh Grille: Each Combo Meal

? lb. Hamburger $2.35 $4.75

? lb. Cheeseburger $2.55 $4.95

Bacon Cheeseburger $2.75 $5.15

Veggie Burger $2.45 $4.85

Grilled Cheese $1.75 $4.15

Grilled Ham & Cheese $1.95 $4.45

Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich $3.25 $5.49

Large French Fries $1.75

Medium French Fries $1.35

** Combo Meal includes medium fries and a 32oz fountain soda.

Cooler:

Frappucino $1.99 44oz Soda $1.35

Milk Pint $1.25 32oz Soda $1.20

Milk Carton $.80 20oz Soda $1.05

Yoplait Yogurt $1.10 20oz Coffee $1.35

Fresh Fruit Whole $.65 16oz Coffee $1.20

12oz Coffee $.95

Aquafina 1.5 Liter $2.50

Aquafina 20 oz $1.15 Ice Cream:

20 oz Soda $1.15 Husky Bar $1.49

V-8 Juice $1.45 Toll House Cookie Bar $2.49

Dole Juice $1.45 Butter Finger $1.49

Carnation Ice Cream $.99

Bagel $.90 Drumstick $1.49

Cream Cheese $.45 Nestle Crunch Bar $1.49

Donuts $.70 Push-Up $.79

Strawberry Shortcake $1.49

Nearly so. We have a few Mondays off, but also have a few Friday and midweek tests scattered throughout the year.

It's really a lot more pleasant than it seems on paper. It can seem tough having strings of tests like that, but my lowest grade so far this year was on an anatomy test three weeks into the semester with no tests before that--it was a huge block of material, and getting it all digested was painful.

Everyone's got their own ways to deal with it, but I think the every-Monday setup is good for those of us without the best time management skills. With this setup, I more or less study one thing to exclusion every week, and if I'm having more trouble in one class than the others, add some hours in earlier weeks. I study far less than I should and am not as strong in science as many of my classmates, but do fine. If the tests weren't weekly, though, I'd have long since self-destructed.

Definitely one of the harder-to-stomach aspects of the school before going through it, but keep an open mind!

Thank you lukealfredwhite for your reply. Are you happy with your decision to go to AZCOM. I really loved the school, the class seemed to be more close nit than most, and the facilities are far superior than the other DO schools and many of the MD schools I interviewed at. My only worry was 3rd and 4th years. I know that I eventually want to do my residency back on the east coast and wasn't sure if going to AZCOM and not having the set rotations would hurt me. On a different note, what is the social life like there?

stillwaiting said:
Thank you lukealfredwhite for your reply. Are you happy with your decision to go to AZCOM. I really loved the school, the class seemed to be more close nit than most, and the facilities are far superior than the other DO schools and many of the MD schools I interviewed at. My only worry was 3rd and 4th years. I know that I eventually want to do my residency back on the east coast and wasn't sure if going to AZCOM and not having the set rotations would hurt me. On a different note, what is the social life like there?

sw,

I am very happy to be going here, for all sorts of reasons. Actually, I'm a big fan of the 3rd and 4th year setup. Some aren't--there are lots of threads debating it (do a search on my previous posts and you'll find a lot of them). But I like the ability to travel that it provides..I'm hoping to do a lot of my rotations back home in Michigan and around the country at places I'd like to do residency, and AZCOM's setup is good for that sort of thing if you're motivated and willing to do a lot of work setting stuff up.

The facilities are definitely nice, and only getting better. While I wish there were a few more things on campus, Glendale's got everything one needs...the shopping strip is right there and lots of little shops and strip malls are going up around campus.

As for social life, etc. To be honest, I don't hang out with my classmates as much as some. This isn't for lack of liking them--I think this class is one of the most fantastic group of people I've come across, and it really is very close-knit, as you saw. I tend more towards the downtown scene (read: lots of slacking) and have a few people outside of school I hang out with. The music scene's spectacular; I go to a few indie shows a month. Tempe's great, and has an awesome college vibe. Scottsdale is there for those who like the club scene, and if you're into wilderness and hiking, you've got everything. I love being able to drive two hours and see pretty much any type of terrain imaginable.

So all in all, I'm very happy with the school. It has its faults...I'm not a big fan of the OMM setup, think some of the class structures and teaching could be improved (though on the whole it's fantastic), etc. But clinical exposure is great, 3rd and 4th years are going to be awesome, and I'll know how to do more going into residency than I would at most any other school. It's no utopia, but as someone who had choices, I'm awfully happy with the one I made.

Just wondering...

David Francyk
AZCOM MSII

I know this is a bit random, but I thought I'd try...

Does anyone currently at AZCOM know if there are yoga classes anywhere nearby?

There is some yoga (hatha) at the school. But, its really not that good. Desoreh is an excellent Anusara instructor (studied under John Friend, founder of Anusara) and she has a studio in Scottsdale and Tempe. If you are looking for something closer, well there isn't much. However, World's Gym has an excellent instructor (they do have some cheesy ones though). I forgot her name though. Stay away from LA Fitness or Bally's!!! If you want some better info I can get in contact with my brother. He is an internationally known instructor and I'm sure that he can get me some names. Just let me know the "style" you are looking for and I'll see what I can do.

Take care,
Dave Francyk
AZCOM 2007

There is a really good yoga "school" at 47th Ave and Thunderbird. It's about a 10 min drive from campus. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the facility.

I like Ashtanga, but most kinds are good for me, as long as they are not too beginner-based and I can afford it.

BTW, what's wrong with Bally's and LA Fitness? I've never been to either, so I probably would have ended up trying one eventually.

Thanks for the info!

melmc said:
I like Ashtanga, but most kinds are good for me, as long as they are not too beginner-based and I can afford it.

BTW, what's wrong with Bally's and LA Fitness? I've never been to either, so I probably would have ended up trying one eventually.

Thanks for the info!

There is not a lot of ashtanga in Arizona unfortunately. You will definately want to see Desoreh. Anusara is a branch off of Ashtanga. To me its just seems easier. And whats wrong with Bally's and LA Fitness? There yoga blows. Its aerobisized. I've been to both and luckily when I joined World's Gym they had a good instructor. Todd the manager of the gym makes sure of it. There is At One Yoga and you can look them up in the phone book. I've never been there though since I lucked out and I don't mind doing Hatha yoga at my gym.

Good Luck!
Dave
AZCOM 2007

stillwaiting said:

Stillwaiting

I liked AZCOM's campus too but you have to keep your priorities in mind. You insist that you want to eventually move back east after school. A nice campus is just a campus. You will get used to it and it may not seem so special after a while. Their students may seem close knit but it's still a medical school meaning that it will have its fair share of gunners and jerks too. Keep in mind that AZCOM students are going to be biased about their school. They aren't going to say negative things about it in general. I have read Luke's comments and he seems to have a very positive outlook on everything. And while a positive outlook is certain healthy; you may not get the best information if the one presenting tends to be over-enthusiastic about his school. The monday morning exam schedule may not seem bad to him but it could be really bad for you. If your goal is to do residency on the east coast, AZCOM isn't going to be the best choice for setting you up there. That's not a criticism of AZCOM; it's just the truth. Most students who attend AZCOM tend to be flexible about where they will match. That is why California applicants wishing to remain in CA attend COMP over AZCOM because COMP will do a better job of setting them up to do residency in Calfornia. Similarly, NYCOM will better choice for you since you want to remain back east. What if you don't match back east; are you going to be happy with your decision to attend AZCOM? AZCOM has a lot to offer its students but I hope you are choosing it for more than its nice campus and what you perceived to be a close knit group of students.

Good luck with your decision