Azpod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Gangrene

AZPOD 2011
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have accepted to attend AZPOD. Just wondering if anyone else out there is going to do the same. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!!

When did you interview and where are you from?

AZPOD Rocks

ive got an interview, but i think i'm skipping it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey azpod. I am from Utah. Interviewed October 24, I think the first group of the year. Very excited for warm winters. Feel very stoked about the school and the education I have coming. Looking forward to meeting ya. THanks

Hey azpod. I am from Utah. Interviewed October 24, I think the first group of the year. Very excited for warm winters. Feel very stoked about the school and the education I have coming. Looking forward to meeting ya. THanks

If you have any questions or need help with anything, just let me know....

Congratulations once again... if you haven't taken the following courses, I'd suggest you try to squeeze them in, they can be helpful:

Biochemistry
Histology

and Anatomy (less important to take ahead of time but still extremely helpful) It would be really good if you could buy any pack of anatomy flashcards and begin memorization in your free time. Biochemistry and histology are biggies though and can be overwhelming if your background isn't solid (and even if it is :laugh: )

AZPOD Rocks:thumbup:

Sounds good. I have had anatomy, taught anatomy lab, and dissected cadaveres for an advanced anatomy class. Will take biochem next semester, and will look into histo. I will definetly hit you up with any questions. where are you from?

I ended up accepting the offer from AZPOD so looks like I'll be attending AZPOD too! You interviewed with me right? :thumbup:

AZPOD Class of 2011 =)

Yes sir. See you in a few months cheetos!! Congrats.
So what clinched the deal for AZPOD?

Reputation, combined DO/DPM program, year round warm weather, nice neighborhood, not too far from home, cheaper than Cali's cost of living and gf actually convinced me to go to here since it's a good new school that still has lots of room to expand.

Oh yea and thanks and congrats to you too!

I am from AZ. I've seen lots of you guys interviewing and spoken to some of you but have not been the tour guide.

AZPOD is every bit as good as I've made it seem in my various posts. Moreover, your education will be better than most allopathic and all osteopathic schools (other than AZCOM, of course:) ). There are abundant opportunities to participate and to do research, too. The new clinic will be open by the time you guys get here and we'll be doing a lot of stuff over there.

AZPOD Rocks

P.S. - Do any of you guys play guitar? It seems like half of our 2010 class plays.

No guitar, but the volleyball, ping pong, and basketball courts that I saw there will fit my lifestyle very well :D

How many ppl are they accepting this year? 30? Also, seeing that there's a test almost every monday, how rigorous is the curriculum so far?

No guitar, but the volleyball, ping pong, and basketball courts that I saw there will fit my lifestyle very well :D

How many ppl are they accepting this year? 30? Also, seeing that there's a test almost every monday, how rigorous is the curriculum so far?

They should be accepting about 30.

I really don't want to frighten you about the curriculum... not only that, I don't think there is any way someone can really understand what the flood is like at AZPOD until you get there. I don't care what the students from the other schools say (I know their programs are extremely challenging), AZPOD is the toughest school in the country.

You will need to study all day if you want to do ALRIGHT (though there are some who do extremely well) and about 15-20% have failed out of the program already and are gone now that the quarter has ended (as of a week ago). Keep in mind, AZPOD students have the highest stats and those who failed out were not poor students... it is just really, really hard.

It sure is invigorating, however. You learn so much in such a short period of time. You will be amazed at how much you have learned at the end of your first quarter. We definitely take refuge in the foosball table and ping pong table and pool table and basketball courts and sand volleyball and little weight room. It helps to have an outlet for the stress. :)

We just had some excellent residency directors come and we were called "the Millenium Falcon of podiatric medical education." But the joke around here is, "I should have gone to X podiatric medical school, instead...:laugh: " or "There's always law school :laugh: " because of the difficulty of the course load.

Anyway, no doubt your education will be top notch and you will get out essentially having gone to the top osteopathic medical school in the nation... at least at the same educational level as them.

Have fun but try to take those courses I mentioned above because those who struggled least this quarter have already had those courses and have perfomed solidly in them.

AZPOD Rocks

I wonder how the curriculum at DMU stacks up against the AZPOD curriculum, being that both are affiliated with Osteopathic programs.

Members don't see this ad :)

I really don't want to frighten you about the curriculum... not only that, I don't think there is any way someone can really understand what the flood is like at AZPOD until you get there. I don't care what the students from the other schools say (I know their programs are extremely challenging), AZPOD is the toughest school in the country.

You will need to study all day if you want to do ALRIGHT (though there are some who do extremely well) and about 15-20% have failed out of the program already and are gone now that the quarter has ended (as of a week ago). Keep in mind, AZPOD students have the highest stats and those who failed out were not poor students... it is just really, really hard.

It sure is invigorating, however. You learn so much in such a short period of time. You will be amazed at how much you have learned at the end of your first quarter. We definitely take refuge in the foosball table and ping pong table and pool table and basketball courts and sand volleyball and little weight room. It helps to have an outlet for the stress. :)

We just had some excellent residency directors come and we were called "the Millenium Falcon of podiatric medical education." But the joke around here is, "I should have gone to X podiatric medical school, instead...:laugh: " or "There's always law school :laugh: " because of the difficulty of the course load.

Anyway, no doubt your education will be top notch and you will get out essentially having gone to the top osteopathic medical school in the nation... at least at the same educational level as them.

Have fun but try to take those courses I mentioned above because those who struggled least this quarter have already had those courses and have perfomed solidly in them.

AZPOD Rocks

I understand that you love your school but what makes you claim that it is the toughest program in the country? Also, claiming that your school is better than most allopathic and all of the osteopathic schools is a big statement.Can you back it up with facts? I would really like to know what makes it so difficult compared to everyone else.

oncogene

AZPOD Rocks

I'm not pirating the thread but I would make sure you are accurate in your posts. DMU has had the highest overall stats the last 3 years I believe. While you might beat us in one of the 3 big stats overall GPA, pre-req GPA or MCAT, when all of the categories are looked at as a whole; DMU has been #1. All of this info was released when the college was re-accredited last month.

And program directors always tell everyone that they are number 1. Do you think that they would come in and say "This is a great school but man I hope I get a student from Scholl b/c they are so much better than you guys."

Again, I respect AZPOD and the curriculum but you must state the facts accurately. I will not argue who is the toughest program (most schools have about a 10-20% drop out rate) b/c I have never taken a test at AZPOD, but I just want the debate to be based on accurate facts.

I'm not pirating the thread but I would make sure you are accurate in your posts. DMU has had the highest overall stats the last 3 years I believe. While you might beat us in one of the 3 big stats overall GPA, pre-req GPA or MCAT, when all of the categories are looked at as a whole; DMU has been #1. All of this info was released when the college was re-accredited last month.

And program directors always tell everyone that they are number 1. Do you think that they would come in and say "This is a great school but man I hope I get a student from Scholl b/c they are so much better than you guys."

Again, I respect AZPOD and the curriculum but you must state the facts accurately. I will not argue who is the toughest program (most schools have about a 10-20% drop out rate) b/c I have never taken a test at AZPOD, but I just want the debate to be based on accurate facts.

I think that AZPOD is going to be a great program. They are still young and working out the kinks but they will get there. Around the country, they are often referred to as "DMU Jr" which I think is a great compliment to both schools.

As far as drop out rates, most schools have about a 10-20% drop out rate, unless your my class that had 50% :laugh:

I'm excited to see AZPOD students start to rotate around the country next year. And as they have no upper classmen, feel free to contact me concerning residency program questions.

What makes having studentsdrop out and quit persuing their dream so GRRRREAT! You all sound like Tony the Tiger on crack cheering for a Cowboy cheerleader try out. I'm mean really which school helps their students not fail? I am sure some highly qualified(high gpa, MCAT, etc.) student didn't cut it or chose not to(ever think of that) but what makes this so important? I mean Harvard students brag about getting in because so many people don't get in-yet so many of them graduate once they are there. Should POD be more strengent?spelling? Anyhow I want into podiatry and will go with who accepts me and based on what I've read if two accept the all the merrier for a decision. bonjour et a la prochain chicaine.

What makes having studentsdrop out and quit persuing their dream so GRRRREAT! You all sound like Tony the Tiger on crack cheering for a Cowboy cheerleader try out. I'm mean really which school helps their students not fail? I am sure some highly qualified(high gpa, MCAT, etc.) student didn't cut it or chose not to(ever think of that) but what makes this so important? I mean Harvard students brag about getting in because so many people don't get in-yet so many of them graduate once they are there. Should POD be more strengent?spelling? Anyhow I want into podiatry and will go with who accepts me and based on what I've read if two accept the all the merrier for a decision. bonjour et a la prochain chicaine.

Est-ce que vous avez voyage au Quebec defboy? La raison pour laquelle je pose la question est que vous avez ecrit "a la prochain chicaine". Je sais que cet phase vient du Quebec qui pourrait vouloir dire " see you later alligator" or more litterally, "till the next fight". It makes more sense in french.

Hmmm.... where to start?

First... How does DMU's curriculum stack up against MWU's curriculum? I can't say for certain, of course, but if we look at the osteopathic components of each school, there is quite a large performance gap. AZCOM is the top DO school in the country (I'll explain in a minute) and DMU COM is a SOLID, middle-of-the-road program. Certainly, DMU is a fine school, but the numbers and match placements are fairly different in terms of competitiveness.

Second... "AZPOD will be a great program..." I appreciate the support and would like to change this statement to "AZPOD IS a great program." Also, I think the DMUers have a skewed perspective on AZPOD's origins. They always bring up "AZPOD is a baby DMU" or something similar. This is simply untrue. I invite the DMUers to actually call and talk to Dr. Jenkins (a former professor at DMU and the current AZPOD Director of Admissions). He was prominent at DMU and knows all about the curriculum. He told me that AZPOD has very few similarities with DMU and was mainly patterned after MD/DO programs in order to "raise the bar of podiatric medical education." You can also talk to Dr. Freeman, Biomechanics Goddess. She was at DMU, as well, and can confirm these statements. I don't want to hear any more from you DMUers about this topic until you take the time to talk to those who have been at both institutions. It's just annoying.

Third... How can I say AZPOD is the toughest program in the country... tougher than most allopathic schools and all osteopathic schools? I KNOW this is a bold statement... that's why I made it.:laugh: Medical school is only important for imparting knowledge to get you to where you want to go AFTER medical school. The standards for comparison always include: board scores, residency matches, and student performance around the country. The board standard used by MD and DO alike is the USMLE. Again I turn to AZPOD's osteopathic comrade's to make this claim. They perform better than most allopathic medical students on the USMLE (better than 50%) and better than all DO students on BOTH the USMLE and the COMLEX (DO boards). They obtain more competitive residency spots than any other DO school and just as competitive as most allopathic schools. The reason for this is board scores and impressive student knowledge as they rotate around the country. It makes sense that AZPOD students (who take the exact same basic science coursework for the 1st two years) would perform just as well if they were allowed to take the USMLE.

Dr. Feelgood, I'd love to know what your entry stats were for this years' class, because I know what ours were and I think there may be some fluffiness of the numbers going on somewhere.

Lastly... I love you all. Too bad there isn't a kissing smiley or all of you guys would be getting some mad Thanksgiving love from me.

AZPOD Rocks

O.K., So what is so different about AZPODS curiculum? You have talk to to profs that have been at both schools please fill us in. Lastly, I just can't see how you can claim azpod is the best school when it hasn't even had any students match into a residency program. I think that it is misleading. In a couple of years when azpod does place students in residency then maybe you will be able to tallk.

oncogene

Does AZPOD have a big clinic on campus?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The whole debate on which school is better is juvenile. You will get nowhere. And as for AZPOD ROCKS, well...and I thought the MD's had big heads.

Hmmm.... where to start?

First... How does DMU's curriculum stack up against MWU's curriculum? I can't say for certain, of course, but if we look at the osteopathic components of each school, there is quite a large performance gap. AZCOM is the top DO school in the country (I'll explain in a minute) and DMU COM is a SOLID, middle-of-the-road program. Certainly, DMU is a fine school, but the numbers and match placements are fairly different in terms of competitiveness.

Second... "AZPOD will be a great program..." I appreciate the support and would like to change this statement to "AZPOD IS a great program." Also, I think the DMUers have a skewed perspective on AZPOD's origins. They always bring up "AZPOD is a baby DMU" or something similar. This is simply untrue. I invite the DMUers to actually call and talk to Dr. Jenkins (a former professor at DMU and the current AZPOD Director of Admissions). He was prominent at DMU and knows all about the curriculum. He told me that AZPOD has very few similarities with DMU and was mainly patterned after MD/DO programs in order to "raise the bar of podiatric medical education." You can also talk to Dr. Freeman, Biomechanics Goddess. She was at DMU, as well, and can confirm these statements. I don't want to hear any more from you DMUers about this topic until you take the time to talk to those who have been at both institutions. It's just annoying.

Third... How can I say AZPOD is the toughest program in the country... tougher than most allopathic schools and all osteopathic schools? I KNOW this is a bold statement... that's why I made it.:laugh: Medical school is only important for imparting knowledge to get you to where you want to go AFTER medical school. The standards for comparison always include: board scores, residency matches, and student performance around the country. The board standard used by MD and DO alike is the USMLE. Again I turn to AZPOD's osteopathic comrade's to make this claim. They perform better than most allopathic medical students on the USMLE (better than 50%) and better than all DO students on BOTH the USMLE and the COMLEX (DO boards). They obtain more competitive residency spots than any other DO school and just as competitive as most allopathic schools. The reason for this is board scores and impressive student knowledge as they rotate around the country. It makes sense that AZPOD students (who take the exact same basic science coursework for the 1st two years) would perform just as well if they were allowed to take the USMLE.

Dr. Feelgood, I'd love to know what your entry stats were for this years' class, because I know what ours were and I think there may be some fluffiness of the numbers going on somewhere.

Lastly... I love you all. Too bad there isn't a kissing smiley or all of you guys would be getting some mad Thanksgiving love from me.

AZPOD Rocks

I don't know my classes stats and frankly I don't care about yours. Like I said, you can claim that AZPOD is the best professional school in the world, I don't care. Just make sure that the information you use to back it up can be quoted. I would hope at the best school in the world they would have discussed EBM and I would hope that you use it.

P.S. Here is where I got my info. I'm pretty sure that the school would not lie to the the accrediation council.
http://my.dmu.edu/portal/DocCache/200611211620_632997228301197372_october 06.pdf

I don't know my classes stats and frankly I don't care about yours. Like I said, you can claim that AZPOD is the best professional school in the world, I don't care. Just make sure that the information you use to back it up can be quoted. I would hope at the best school in the world they would have discussed EBM and I would hope that you use it.

P.S. Here is where I got my info. I'm pretty sure that the school would not lie to the the accrediation council.
http://my.dmu.edu/portal/DocCache/200611211620_632997228301197372_october 06.pdf

The link didnt work.

Oui j'ai servi un mission au Quebec, mais ma francais est terrible. Et comment avez-vous entudu la francais? yeah I really know my french svck$. I'm going to take some courses to get it to par with some of you that actually know it.

Dr. Feelgood I tried variations of the link and still couldn't get it right.

I think we should give up the school debate. It totally doesn't get us anywhere in the profession arguing about which school is best. I'm guilty of this too because I love the school I go to, as should everyone who chooses to go to a particular school. There are ups and downs to every school. I think we should totally start concentrating on things that affect our education and our profession and work together to make things better. Arguing solves nothing. As for DMU=great program. As for Arizona=great program. I feel we can all have pride in the schools we attend, and still manage to have real discussions online. If anything, it has been discusssed that things will be taken out on the bball court in spring. :)

Oui j'ai servi un mission au Quebec, mais ma francais est terrible. Et comment avez-vous entudu la francais? yeah I really know my french svck$. I'm going to take some courses to get it to par with some of you that actually know it.

Dr. Feelgood I tried variations of the link and still couldn't get it right.

I was in Quebec also en mission pendant 1999-2001. Je peux toujours parler francais. Laissez-moi deviner, vous avez servi une mission au quebec pour l'eglise de jesus christ des saints des derniers jours, n-est-ce pas?

Perhaps it's the block schedule vs. the quarter curriculum that makes it seem like one school is harder than the other? Although students at any school take most of the same basic courses, I do notice that looking at the schedules, DMU's block schedule has us take 3-5 classes at one time while AZPOD's quarter schedule has us take 5-7 classes at one time. However, some of DMU's courses are very short hence the material must be crammed within a few weeks.

So looking at this over picture, I'm sure everything balances in the end and that no school is harder than the other. Just seems like it depends on the student's preference of 3-5 classes with some crammed in a short amout of time or 6 courses all starting and ending at the same time but with the possibility of tons of exams in the same week. Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbup:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The whole debate on which school is better is juvenile. You will get nowhere. And as for AZPOD ROCKS, well...and I thought the MD's had big heads.

Agreed. Everyone needs to realize that this is just some 2nd year student stating his/her opinion on the matter. This person still has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

I would suggest cation though as making huge, baseless claims (AZPOD has yet to even take part 2-3 boards, extern, or place anybody in residency) is only going to irritate fellow students and doctors and quite possibly sabotage the first class that goes out next year. I personally have a friend in the class of 08 so I'll be nice :)

Let's all play nice!

I think we should give up the school debate. It totally doesn't get us anywhere in the profession arguing about which school is best. I'm guilty of this too because I love the school I go to, as should everyone who chooses to go to a particular school. There are ups and downs to every school. I think we should totally start concentrating on things that affect our education and our profession and work together to make things better. Arguing solves nothing. As for DMU=great program. As for Arizona=great program. I feel we can all have pride in the schools we attend, and still manage to have real discussions online. If anything, it has been discusssed that things will be taken out on the bball court in spring. :)

I don't think that there is a debate over which school is better. I personally don't think DMU is a tougher school than azpod but, I want potential students to realize that what azpod rocks is saying is not fact until it can be backed up. That is it.

oncogene

Agreed. Everyone needs to realize that this is just some 2nd year student stating his/her opinion on the matter. This person still has a long way to go and a lot to learn.

I would suggest cation though as making huge, baseless claims (AZPOD has yet to even take part 2-3 boards, extern, or place anybody in residency) is only going to irritate fellow students and doctors and quite possibly sabotage the first class that goes out next year. I personally have a friend in the class of 08 so I'll be nice :)

Let's all play nice!

NYCPM is the best.

Because I said so and I am a 4th year.

Well I think that pretty much settles everything! :laugh:

I will chime in to say the same. I think the debate gets the forum nowhere. I don't care about who is number 1, I just wanted to correct the incorrect statement made.

We always get into these little debates (I am as guilty as anyone) and I just want all facts to be accurate for anyone who looks.

As for the link, I can email the newsletter to anyone intersted.

Maybe the thread can go back to being who is in the AZPOD class of 2011. :D

SAD! SAD! SAD!

Why don't you guys read my post? It's not written in too difficult of language for even junior high students to understand. "AZPOD Rocks says his program is the BEST" is an absolute lie! Why can't you guys read? That is not what was said.

Why don't I back my statements up? I DID back up the statements I was making. I DID not back up that AZPOD is the BEST school because I did not claim it was. Read people! I don't know why people are chiming in who don't even take the time to read my post critically. If you don't read well, you should not post, oncogene and friends.

I don't care if AZPOD hasn't taken Parts 2 and 3 or matched in residency, yet. This has nothing to do with the point I was making. All of you need to mind your 3rd row business and stop changing the meaning of my post... and for goodness sakes... learn to read, people!

Feelgood, your link does not work.

Ilizarob, funny that when students spout out about DMU's merits you don't tell THEM they have big heads. And, yes, they consistently mention how great their program is. If you can't be level headed and refrain from derogatory comments, please don't reply to my posts.

AZPOD Rocks

Perhaps it's the block schedule vs. the quarter curriculum that makes it seem like one school is harder than the other? Although students at any school take most of the same basic courses, I do notice that looking at the schedules, DMU's block schedule has us take 3-5 classes at one time while AZPOD's quarter schedule has us take 5-7 classes at one time. However, some of DMU's courses are very short hence the material must be crammed within a few weeks.

So looking at this over picture, I'm sure everything balances in the end and that no school is harder than the other. Just seems like it depends on the student's preference of 3-5 classes with some crammed in a short amout of time or 6 courses all starting and ending at the same time but with the possibility of tons of exams in the same week. Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong. :thumbup:

Excellent points! I don't know if this is the reason for differences but your critical analysis of these differences is to be commended.

AZPOD Rocks

Because of the turmoil my previous post had on the DMUers and their constituents, I will simply respond with:

The curriculum is VERY rigorous but VERY invigorating! We have learned so much in such a short period of time.

I hope no one else feels the need to highjack our AZPOD thread again.

AZPOD Rocks

I agree. One thing and then I will leave this alone. I can't and wont say this for medical/dental schools but I think I can get away with saying this for podiatry schools since they aren't officially ranked. I know this is redundant but the best school is the school that feel you can get the greatest education and training that fits your style and character the best. Also for me it mostly depends on location. My grades and extracurriculars are such were I have had no problem being accepted to all of the pod. schools. I know that sounds arrogant so sorry! However, I do not want to go to the Arizona school even though my stats are really high and I am 20 minutes away from it. I don't like their school at all. I dont want to go to Temple because I wouldn't be caught dead living in Pennyslvania ever and I think Scholl is ugly. I don't want to go to Barry because I am not catholic and don't want to go to a catholic school.

But I do want to go to Ohio because I love the people that I have talked to at the school and I feel that my wife and I would be able to have a wonderful life there. It may sound lame to everyone else but when schools aren't ranked, I don't care where I go. Yeah, Ohio is not one of the best schools but big woop! I think it is the best in my book. I know that I can succeed wherever I go as long as I put forth the effort and do my best. I just want to make sure that I get a good residency. I am not selling myself short just because I don't want to live in Des Moines even though their school totally rocks. For me, location is the most important. My family, not my schooling comes first, and I can succeed at any school, especially when these schools aren't even ranked.

This thread was more for myself. Well, I probably sounded cocky, repetitive, and stupid so I will shutup. And no I am not meaning to bash any school. I think they are all great and these are my personal opinions and perhaps I shouldn't have shared them. Anyways, thank you!

SAD! SAD! SAD!

Why don't you guys read my post? It's not written in too difficult of language for even junior high students to understand. "AZPOD Rocks says his program is the BEST" is an absolute lie! Why can't you guys read? That is not what was said.

Why don't I back my statements up? I DID back up the statements I was making. I DID not back up that AZPOD is the BEST school because I did not claim it was. Read people! I don't know why people are chiming in who don't even take the time to read my post critically. If you don't read well, you should not post, oncogene and friends.

I don't care if AZPOD hasn't taken Parts 2 and 3 or matched in residency, yet. This has nothing to do with the point I was making. All of you need to mind your 3rd row business and stop changing the meaning of my post... and for goodness sakes... learn to read, people!

Feelgood, your link does not work.

Ilizarob, funny that when students spout out about DMU's merits you don't tell THEM they have big heads. And, yes, they consistently mention how great their program is. If you can't be level headed and refrain from derogatory comments, please don't reply to my posts.

AZPOD Rocks

I can access the link but it is in the DMU portal. I was hoping it would show up for everyone. That is why I said I can email the newsletter to anyone interested (Why don't you read :D)

As stated before, I have never taken a class at AZPOD and I could care less if you said that the professor's poop gold. I was only concerned about making sure all the facts are accurate. I could care less if you said the AZPOD suck rear end too. :laugh:

Like I said lets get this back to the AZPOD Class of 2011.

I agree. One thing and then I will leave this alone. I can't and wont say this for medical/dental schools but I think I can get away with saying this for podiatry schools since they aren't officially ranked. I am not in pod. school yet so I am probably not qualified to make this statement but I think the best school is the school that feel you can get the greatest education and training that fits your style and character the best. Also for me it mostly depends on location. My grades and extracurriculars are such were I have had no problem being accepted to all of the pod. schools. I know that sounds arrogant so sorry! However, I do not want to go to the Arizona school even though my stats are really high and I am 20 minutes away from it. I don't like their school at all. I dont want to go to Temple because I wouldn't be caught dead living in Pennyslvania ever and I think Scholl is ugly. I don't want to go to Barry because I am not catholic and don't want to go to a catholic school.

But I do want to go to Ohio because I love the people that I have talked to at the school and I feel that my wife and I would be able to have a wonderful life there. It may sound lame to everyone else but when schools aren't ranked, I don't care where I go. I know that I can succeed wherever I go as long as I put forth the effort and do my best. I just want to make sure that I get a good residency. I am not selling myself short just because I don't want to live in Des Moines even though their school totally rocks. For me, location is the most important. My family, not my schooling comes first, and I can succeed at any school, espeically where these schools aren't ranked.

Well, I probably sounded cocky, repetitive, and stupid so I will shutup. Thank you!

Great post!!! As I mentioned in another thread this morning, I think the relatively subjective term "Best" depends on who YOU are, not on the school. It depends on what YOU are looking for and not on what the SCHOOLS are looking for. I don't equate "toughest" with "best," though many on SDN obviously do from the responses my post earlier today received.

:thumbup: to you for the excellent post!

AZPOD Rocks

I agree. One thing and then I will leave this alone. I can't and wont say this for medical/dental schools but I think I can get away with saying this for podiatry schools since they aren't officially ranked. I am not in pod. school yet so I am probably not qualified to make this statement but I think the best school is the school that feel you can get the greatest education and training that fits your style and character the best. Also for me it mostly depends on location. My grades and extracurriculars are such were I have had no problem being accepted to all of the pod. schools. I know that sounds arrogant so sorry! However, I do not want to go to the Arizona school even though my stats are really high and I am 20 minutes away from it. I don't like their school at all. I dont want to go to Temple because I wouldn't be caught dead living in Pennyslvania ever and I think Scholl is ugly. I don't want to go to Barry because I am not catholic and don't want to go to a catholic school.

But I do want to go to Ohio because I love the people that I have talked to at the school and I feel that my wife and I would be able to have a wonderful life there. It may sound lame to everyone else but when schools aren't ranked, I don't care where I go. I know that I can succeed wherever I go as long as I put forth the effort and do my best. I just want to make sure that I get a good residency. I am not selling myself short just because I don't want to live in Des Moines even though their school totally rocks. For me, location is the most important. My family, not my schooling comes first, and I can succeed at any school, espeically where these schools aren't ranked.

Well, I probably sounded cocky, repetitive, and stupid so I will shutup. Thank you!

I agree that you should feel good about your school and that is why most students fight to the death to say their school is the best.

But Jon and Sam (our old people) have said it well before. You can be successful at any school but some schools make it easier to be successful. Generally it is b/c the basic education you receive is so strong you are truly prepared for anything.

I couldn't agree more! Well said guys!

I can also definately say that you will have the best experience ever in Arizona though. Of course you know that because you are from there. I am definately going back to the "valley of the sun" when I am done with my pod. training.

Soo anyone else for the AZPOD class of 2011? :D

Thanks to all for jumping on this thread. I have to agree with Dr. Feelgood, let the rest of the thread be for kids going to azpod next year. I actually love the healthy debate. I think that if you do not believe your school is the best, and do not feel they give you the best education, why go there? Also, it is true that your education is YOURS! What you make of it is what it will be. The knowledge does not change because you live on one side of the country or the other. You can learn as much as or more than any other student if you are willing to do the work. I choose Arizona because I felt it was (will be) the best environment for my family while I go to school. Obviously, I feel the school itself will give ME the best education I can get, but that also depends on my work ethic.

Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas for everyone to ponder. Remember, in the the end all 8 schools are accredited and it is really up to you what you learn. :) :)

Thanks to all for jumping on this thread. I have to agree with Dr. Feelgood, let the rest of the thread be for kids going to azpod next year. I actually love the healthy debate. I think that if you do not believe your school is the best, and do not feel they give you the best education, why go there? Also, it is true that your education is YOURS! What you make of it is what it will be. The knowledge does not change because you live on one side of the country or the other. You can learn as much as or more than any other student if you are willing to do the work. I choose Arizona because I felt it was (will be) the best environment for my family while I go to school. Obviously, I feel the school itself will give ME the best education I can get, but that also depends on my work ethic.

Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas for everyone to ponder. Remember, in the the end all 8 schools are accredited and it is really up to you what you learn. :) :)

Hate to be the fact check up again but AZPOD is not accredited yet; they are still a conditional candidate.

how long do you think will take for AZPOD to be accredited? Does that usually take years?

Hate to be the fact check up again but AZPOD is not accredited yet; they are still a conditional candidate.

AZPOD is PROVISIONALLY accredited. This is the term you were looking for... this signifies they are as accredited as a school can be without having graduated their first class.

Upon graduation of their first class (end of next academic year), they will be accredited fully as long as they continue to maintain their high standards... which currently WELL EXCEED the standards for accreditation.

AZPOD Rocks