Azpod!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tea_tu

Tea
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Does anyone know if pod students take classes with osteopathic students? Actually, I don't know very much about AZPOD so any feedback would be super great :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Does anyone know if pod students take classes with osteopathic students? Actually, I don't know very much about AZPOD so any feedback would be super great :love:

Hey tea tu. I am attending azpod starting this fall. All classes are taken with osteopathic students, except the ones that are specific to podiatry and an interdisciplinary health course (which I believe is w/ d.o. and p.a.) I could be wrong on that last one.

All anatomy, biochem, embryology etc. are w/ the osteopathic students and you are graded on the same curve, same standards etc.

Their website is www.midwestern.edu. It is a great source for info on the school. (don't be fooled by the appearance of the website. I was kind of turned off at first, because the website was my only view of the school, and I wasn't real impressed with the layout and graphics. But once I visited the school and met the people there, I was sold).

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me or leave another post. Good luck :)

Yup, Dr. G is right on the money. Having classes with the DO students, I think is a definite advantage since we'll be working with all types of physicians in the futures, so it'll give us a good early start. Do check out AZPOD if you have been offered an interview. Midwestern is still very new and is planning to expand greatly in the next few yrs so the school has alot of potential. I do hope they add a bigger gym to this too. The campus and city looks much better in real life. Nice desert scenery too!

Also, it has been said that the DPMs whoop the DOs on most of tests at AZPOD :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, Dr. G is right on the money. Having classes with the DO students, I think is a definite advantage since we'll be working with all types of physicians in the futures, so it'll give us a good early start. Do check out AZPOD if you have been offered an interview. Midwestern is still very new and is planning to expand greatly in the next few yrs so the school has alot of potential. I do hope they add a bigger gym to this too. The campus and city looks much better in real life. Nice desert scenery too!

Also, it has been said that the DPMs whoop the DOs on most of tests at AZPOD :D

Cheetos, good to see you back. I haven't seen you post for a while. How is this last semester going? See you soon. :)

Thank you my foot friends, I certainly look forward to visiting the campus soon. I interview in March so it's a start!:rolleyes:

Cheetos, good to see you back. I haven't seen you post for a while. How is this last semester going? See you soon. :)

What do you think of the cirriculm at AZPOD? I'm not talking about the quality more about the sequence. I was looking for a listing of AZPOD clubs and I came across the schedule. I just don't see the logical progression and no never study systems like the DOs. You also have basic science classes all the way into your second year which seems weird.

That being said do you like the schedule or would you like to make some changes?

What makes Azpod different?

What makes Azpod different?

It will be easier to explain by comparing DMU to AZPOD.

DMU 1st Year
Basic Science classes (Biochem, Anatomy, Intro to Pod, Histol, Path, Immunol, Micro, Phys, PD, Neuro, Geriatrics)

DMU Year 2
Systems 1st Semester (Cardioresp, GI, Neuro, Endo, ect)
Pod classes 2nd semster (lower limb anatomy, biomechanics, surgical theory, and pod clinics)

AZPOD 1st Year
Fall Quarter
Interdisciplinary Health Care
Gross Anatomy I
Histology/Embrology I
Biochemistry I
Introduction to Research
Podiatric Medicine I

Winter Quarter
Gross Anatomy II
Biochemistry II
Physiology I
Podiatric Biomechanics I
Histology/Embryology II
Community Podiatric Medicine I

Spring Quarter
Physiology II
Neuroscience
Immunology
Podiatric Surgery & Anesthesia
Community Podiatric Medicine II

AZPOD 2nd Year
Summer Quarter
Behavioral Medicine
Podiatric Medicine II
Lower Extremity Anatomy
Elective

Fall Quarter
Pathology I
Microbiology I
Pharmacology I
Podiatric Biomechanics II
Physical Diagnosis

Winter Quarter
Pathology II
Microbiology II
Pharmacology II
General Medicine I
Podiatric Pathomechanics
Community Podiatric Medicine III

Spring Quarter
Pharmacology III
Pathology III
General Medicine II
Sports Medicine & Rehabilitaiton
Orthopedics
Pediatric Orthopedics
Psychiatric Principles
Community Podiatric Medicine IV

I do understand that AZPOD is different then DMU, but my question is how the AZPOD students like the cirriculumn. I really enjoyed the systems approach but I'm interested in the AZPOD theory.

Dr Feelgood, I'm glad you pointed out DMU and AZPOD because those are actually my top choices right now. I haven't heard much from AZPOD students compared to DMU students and am still trying to figure out the mystery behind AZPOD standards and beliefs. For instance, is there a goal to why the curriculum is set up in this way? (Compared to what I've heard from Scholls, they foster reiteration of course materials so that you know it well and no longer are just memorizing dry facts) and I don't know if that's true but at least it can give me a perspective of what the school is aiming for in their students. :confused:

Dr Feelgood, I'm glad you pointed out DMU and AZPOD because those are actually my top choices right now. I haven't heard much from AZPOD students compared to DMU students and am still trying to figure out the mystery behind AZPOD standards and beliefs. For instance, is there a goal to why the curriculum is set up in this way? (Compared to what I've heard from Scholls, they foster reiteration of course materials so that you know it well and no longer are just memorizing dry facts) and I don't know if that's true but at least it can give me a perspective of what the school is aiming for in their students. :confused:

At least from my DMU experience, the first year was a submersion in basic science. The second year is application of your first year knowledge. I enjoyed it b/c it follows the DO program. The exposure to podiatric medicine is held until the students have a strong foundation of general science.

I can comment on AZPOD and how the students feel about the curriculum.

What do you think of the cirriculm at AZPOD? I'm not talking about the quality more about the sequence. I was looking for a listing of AZPOD clubs and I came across the schedule. I just don't see the logical progression and no never study systems like the DOs. You also have basic science classes all the way into your second year which seems weird.

That being said do you like the schedule or would you like to make some changes?

Hey Feelgood. I don't know much more about the curriculum then you have elucidated. I know that all basic science classes (the non pod ones) are with the d.o. students. So it appears dmu osteopaths and azcom osteopahts curriculum is different just as the pod curriculums are.
I can't say much else, I don't start until this fall. I like the way the curriculum looks; I guess I have always expected basic sci. for 2 years because that is always how I understood med school would be. I have a buddy who is in his first year, but don't know anyone else for reference. Besides, since I have not ever done pod school, I don't have anything to compare it too (except what is on paper).
Anyway, it would be great for some current students to comments.

My one concern is quarters. Year round school? Aw man. :laugh:

Hey Feelgood. I don't know much more about the curriculum then you have elucidated. I know that all basic science classes (the non pod ones) are with the d.o. students. So it appears dmu osteopaths and azcom osteopahts curriculum is different just as the pod curriculums are.
I can't say much else, I don't start until this fall. I like the way the curriculum looks; I guess I have always expected basic sci. for 2 years because that is always how I understood med school would be. I have a buddy who is in his first year, but don't know anyone else for reference. Besides, since I have not ever done pod school, I don't have anything to compare it too (except what is on paper).
Anyway, it would be great for some current students to comments.

My one concern is quarters. Year round school? Aw man. :laugh:

I reaize you don't attend AZPOD yet. I was hoping for one of the AZPOD students would answer.

Do the DO students have classes in their 3rd year? That is where the systems is placed in the curriculum.

Dr. G! Sorry for the late response. Been one heck of a quarter for me wither midterms and working on our senior engineering design, but still just 1 more quarter left :thumbup: How's the last semester going for you? Hope all is going well, graduation is right around the corner :D

Ah yesss quarter system does suck! Especially with the 22 units AZPOD is having us take this fall, prepare to hurt :laugh: See ya in Aug!

Members don't see this ad :)

Perhaps all of their students are too busy to post on SDN :p Given that only 1/5 of the ppl out there know about SDN and only 30 ppl per class year at AZPOD (which is still very new), it'll be hard to find ppl from AZPOD on here. The only one I know on SDN is AZPODROCKS but we haven't seen him around for sometime now.

Definitely do go to your interview and ask every question that you have asked on here. All of the students I spoke with when I was there all really liked the program, they'll give you a better perspective of the school. As mentioned before, the school is a quarter system, so the you'll be hit fast with lots of material. But like I said before, you can't really decide whats right for you until u have visited both schools. But it's definitely a good thing to be invited for an interview given that there are only 30 seats available. Goodluck with the interview!

I'm currently at AZPod. It just moves really fast and you need to study all the time.

Perhaps all of their students are too busy to post on SDN :p Given that only 1/5 of the ppl out there know about SDN and only 30 ppl per class year at AZPOD (which is still very new), it'll be hard to find ppl from AZPOD on here. The only one I know on SDN is AZPODROCKS but we haven't seen him around for sometime now.

Definitely do go to your interview and ask every question that you have asked on here. All of the students I spoke with when I was there all really liked the program, they'll give you a better perspective of the school. As mentioned before, the school is a quarter system, so the you'll be hit fast with lots of material. But like I said before, you can't really decide whats right for you until u have visited both schools. But it's definitely a good thing to be invited for an interview given that there are only 30 seats available. Goodluck with the interview!

I thought there was going to be 100 seats opening for this incoming class, would you know about that? Also, is there same day acceptance or a waiting period?

(i am currently munching on flaming hot cheetos :D )

Word on the street is that AZPODROCKS is no longer at AZPOD. Could be wrong but that is what I have been told.

Word on the street is that AZPODROCKS is no longer at AZPOD. Could be wrong but that is what I have been told.

Do you mean he graduated or something else.

I thought there was going to be 100 seats opening for this incoming class, would you know about that? Also, is there same day acceptance or a waiting period?

Unless there has been some recent changes, they told us 30 seats at the interview and we were the first group to interview. There was a 1-2 week waiting period before we got a response after the interview.

(yum yum cheetos =p)

Dr. G! Sorry for the late response. Been one heck of a quarter for me wither midterms and working on our senior engineering design, but still just 1 more quarter left :thumbup: How's the last semester going for you? Hope all is going well, graduation is right around the corner :D

Ah yesss quarter system does suck! Especially with the 22 units AZPOD is having us take this fall, prepare to hurt :laugh: See ya in Aug!

Yes my friend, the semester is crazy. I am working 50 hours a week, and taking three classes (including biochem). So this fall should be just some more of the same:laugh: (except I won't be working; just school).
See ya soon.

They won't be able to increase the class size until they are fully accredited which means they need to graduate a class. That will happen in 2008.