B on government !! UT Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimsoncat

magiccorn
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am very depressed right now ever since I found out that I have earned myself a B on Government 1. I took the class as my dual credit class in my high school year. I transferred the class to my university, and my university only took the credits, not the grades. Despite that, my advisor said that UT Dental School at Houston will look at not only the credits but also the grades. I know that UT Dental school at Houston does not have government as its required courses, but I am still panic! Please, if anyone, is this Government class will lower my GPA to get into my dental school? Will UT Dental at Houston look at the government classes?

Members don't see this ad.

You're gonna need a 25 or higher on your DAT to make up for that B, I would also look into a post-bacc program

Reactions: 8 users
You're gonna need a 25 or higher on your DAT to make up for that B, I would also look into a post-bacc program

Hey, thank you for replying!
I just dont understand that government is not UT Dental's required courses! Will UT still look at this government class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to find a cure for cancer or something extraordinary if you want a shot at getting accepted into dental school with a B

Reactions: 9 users
Hello everyone!
I am very depressed right now ever since I found out that I have earned myself a B on Government 1. I took the class as my dual credit class in my high school year. I transferred the class to my university, and my university only took the credits, not the grades. Despite that, my advisor said that UT Dental School at Houston will look at not only the credits but also the grades. I know that UT Dental school at Houston does not have government as its required courses, but I am still panic! Please, if anyone, is this Government class will lower my GPA to get into my dental school? Will UT Dental at Houston look at the government classes?
You're panicking about one B? Yes they will look at it but the GPA is what matters.

나의 XT1575 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

You're panicking about one B? Yes they will look at it but the GPA is what matters.

Thank you for replying!
When you said the GPA is what matters the most, do you mean my university GPA?

Thank you for replying!
When you said the GPA is what matters the most, do you mean my university GPA?

Yes. They don't care about the high school GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!
Like I say to everyone in your situation, consider pharmacy..

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!

All the above sarcasm aside, this will not affect your chances of getting into dental school. Maintain a high university GPA (cGPA and sGPA), good DAT and good ECs and you'll be fine. It's important to note that although advisors are there to help you, many of them have never been through the application process and so it's mostly on you to seek out information.

The grade will count towards your GPA, but it's only one B. Its impact on your final GPA will be negligible. Nobody in admissions will care.

in all seriousness though, If one B is getting you "depressed", just wait till you get to biochemistry and organic chemistry. you need to chill out.

All the above sarcasm aside, this will not affect your chances of getting into dental school. Maintain a high university GPA (cGPA and sGPA), good DAT and good ECs and you'll be fine. It's important to note that although advisors are there to help you, many of them have never been through the application process and so it's mostly on you to seek out information.

Thank you for replying! That is so nice of you :)
May I ask what is ECs please? :)

in all seriousness though, If one B is getting you "depressed", just wait till you get to biochemistry and organic chemistry. you need to chill out.

I actually have two Bs! Do you think it is still okay
:(

Hello everyone!
I am very depressed right now ever since I found out that I have earned myself two Bs on Government 1 and ECON 1. I took the class as my dual credit class in my high school year. I transferred the class to my university, and my university only took the credits, not the grades. Despite that, my advisor said that UT Dental School at Houston will look at not only the credits but also the grades. I know that UT Dental school at Houston does not have government as its required courses, but I am still panic! Please, if anyone, is this Government class will lower my GPA to get into my dental school? Will UT Dental at Houston look at the government classes?

The grade will count towards your GPA, but it's only one B. Its impact on your final GPA will be negligible. Nobody in admissions will care.

Hi, sorry for wrong info :( I actually have two Bs

Hi, sorry for the wrong info! I actually have two Bs ..... :(

Thank you for replying! That is so nice of you :)
May I ask what is ECs please? :)

ECs refers to extracurricular activities.

As for your two B's, you're still fine - just continue to do well in college!

Stop freaking yourself out. If you get freaked out over B's then you're going to have a very tough time moving forward because part of learning in the real world requires failing more times than you succeed. I have multiple B's on my transcript and still have a 3.9 GPA. Relax. As long as you're not only getting B's then you're completely fine!

Dental school is going to be difficult whether you are a straight A student or not. Learn to focus on improving every day and not to let minor setbacks discourage you.

And a few B's won't kill you. People have gotten in with much worse.