B.S before Pharm.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicaeatworld

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
How many people will have a B.S. before starting a Pharm.D program? If so, what majors are out there? How important do you think it is?

Members don't see this ad.

jessicaeatworld said:
Hi!
How many people will have a B.S. before starting a Pharm.D program? If so, what majors are out there? How important do you think it is?

I actually got accepted without a B.S. I applied as soon as I had completed the pre-req's for pharm school. If I had not been accepted this year, I would have continued to pursue my B.S. and reapply. I would have received my BS degree in biochemistry. Applicants with BS degrees are viewed as more competitive by some schools, especially in California.

I don't think it's necessarily important as to whether you need to receive a BS degree prior to pharmacy school. It does make you a more competitive applicant because you would have had the maximum amount of education prior to grad school. But other than that, if you're comfortable with getting into pharm school without a degree, just apply. My advice is for you to apply as soon as you complete your pre-req's. Best wishes! :luck:

I just finished my b.s. in biology with a chem minor. It makes you more competetive to many schools, partially because you've demonstrated commitment in staying the course for four years, also, it should make you a more well-rounded student and person. It's not necessary, but it's helpful. Also, it doesn't really matter what your major is as long as you complete your desired school's prereqs, but bio or chem majors are t he easiest to work around those requirements (usually)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will (hopefully -- in a week) have my B.A. in Biology before starting pharm school in the fall. I also minored in biochemistry. I honestly think it made me more competative in the admissions process. My interviewer asked about it and seemed pleased that I would have my degree before entering the program. Good luck! :)

I have a B.S. in biology. I've been told that about half of the students at Midwestern have Bachelor's Degrees by current students. As applicants increase, a B.S. helps you to stand out from others. It also shows that you're serious about pharmacy school because you've already completed 4 years in college with a degree that doesn't earn big bucks unless you go back to school. ;)

Good Luck