[b]why Is Podiatry School Separate From Allopathic?[/b]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stargyalny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why Is Podiatry School Separate From Allopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

Some will argue that it shouldn't be. As podiatric medicine and surgery has progressed over the past 30 years to be on par with other medical specialities, people are starting to ask that question. There is no easy answer. Many of the programs are already integrated into regular medical schools. DMU is an example of that. Our first year and a half is done with normal medical students. We then branch off to begin to study the lower limb. So, by the time we graduate, we know a lot about the foot and ankle as opposed to a regular med student who knows a little about a lot. Let's face it, medically, no MD/DO does what a pod does. Surgically, an orthopod has to do a fellowship after the regular 5 year residency to even touch what a pod can do surgically. And those guys have so many other parts of the body to worry about, rarely do they pursue anymore training. If your question is "couldn't podiatry just become part of an MD/DO program?", I would say yes. A 3-4 year residency after graduation would probably be sufficient. But I will also say that the foot and ankle are very complex. Starting a focused study on that specific part of the body as early as pods do makes them that much better. A completely regular MD/DO curriculum COULD possibly take away from that.

jonwill said:
Some will argue that it shouldn't be. As podiatric medicine and surgery has progressed over the past 30 years to be on par with other medical specialities, people are starting to ask that question. There is no easy answer. Many of the programs are already integrated into regular medical schools. DMU is an example of that. Our first year and a half is done with normal medical students. We then branch off to begin to study the lower limb. So, by the time we graduate, we know a lot about the foot and ankle as opposed to a regular med student who knows a little about a lot. Let's face it, medically, no MD/DO does what a pod does. Surgically, an orthopod has to do a fellowship after the regular 5 year residency to even touch what a pod can do surgically. And those guys have so many other parts of the body to worry about, rarely do they pursue anymore training. If your question is "couldn't podiatry just become part of an MD/DO program?", I would say yes. A 3-4 year residency after graduation would probably be sufficient. But I will also say that the foot and ankle are very complex. Starting a focused study on that specific part of the body as early as pods do makes them that much better. A completely regular MD/DO curriculum COULD possibly take away from that.

I completely agree. Academically they might as well be the same. Podiatry developed differently and used to be quite different in its early stages. Now its a surgical subspecialty and as such, should receive the comprehensive curriculum other medical schools receive. I also agree with jonwill in that there is an advantage to being separate with the fact that there is a stronger emphasis on the lower limb. In our systems courses, the case studies are usually geared toward system pathologies manifesting in the lower anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
For starters, to all of you honest pod students, keep busting your rears while watching the "hacks" snack on old tests and regurgitate them... you're the "real deal" and make our profession.... professional...

Let's not pretend that we're a new species that hasn't been uncovered from the dirty rock we've been hiding under for the past 90 years....

In my opinon, our profession will require the dramatic aid of real physicians to come in and do our laundry and set us on the "right track."

I mean if our own self purported members think that he who has the most tests should be #1... What more can I really say???

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=242055

"It's a strange world, Master Jack!

whiskers said:
For starters, to all of you honest pod students, keep busting your rears while watching the "hacks" snack on old tests and regurgitate them... you're the "real deal" and make our profession.... professional...

Let's not pretend that we're a new species that hasn't been uncovered from the dirty rock we've been hiding under for the past 90 years....

In my opinon, our profession will require the dramatic aid of real physicians to come in and do our laundry and set us on the "right track."

I mean if our own self purported members think that he who has the most tests should be #1... What more can I really say???

I thought we were over this. Whiskers, please, if you want to open up this can again just go back and re-read the thread you pasted. Its all there. No need for new posts.

whiskers said:

Judging from my education at DMU, the profession is already on "the right track". Granted every profession has hacks, you can't judge the entire profession based on them. I plan on being a "real physician" and am being educated and trained as such.

I may just be paranoid but, I get the feeling that whiskers is a troll. I mean this forum has been really great for all of us pod peeps and i just get the feeling it is going to get ruined by the negativity seen on other forums. Whiskers the whole test thing is weird man.Let it go!

oncogene