BA vs. BS in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do admissions officers at top medical schools care about whether one graduates with a BA vs. BS? I could either get a BS or get a BA while minoring in something else (just need a few more classes) but I'm undecided in what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

BA is almost always BS-lite, so get the BS.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know about this. If the minor is in something you enjoy and want to learn about, get the BA. If you are just getting the minor because you think it will look good then don't take that route. My major was a science major for a BA and no questions have been asked about it during interviews which is probably pretty common for any biology, chem, biochem majors BA or BS.

It is rarely a big difference for medical school applications. However, for employment ( researcher, etc.) a BS > BA.

It is rarely a big difference for medical school applications. However, for employment ( researcher, etc.) a BS > BA.

Not true at all.

It's the difference between the 24th and 25th of June. Unless it's your birthday who really gives a ****

Nonsense. Some colleges don't even offer a BS. At Cal-Berkeley, for example, the ONLY bio degree possible is a BA, regardless of how many science courses one takes. The Department of Biology at Cal is part of the College of Letters and Sciences ("L&S"), which only offers a Bachelor of Arts. L&S is Berkeley's largest undergraduate college, and includes math, chemistry, and physics, and other hard science majors. Thus, a BA is the only option. (To obtain a BS in Chemistry at Cal, one must enroll in Cal's College of Chemistry, but no such similar college exists for Bio or for math or physics......)

The short answer is that med schools just don't care as long as you complete the prereqs.

Do admissions officers at top medical schools care about whether one graduates with a BA vs. BS? I could either get a BS or get a BA while minoring in something else (just need a few more classes) but I'm undecided in what to do.

Makes no difference. I'd say go with whatever makes you happier/will spur you to make better grades.

They probably care about BA vs. BS as much as they care about what you major/minor in. Which is to say, they don't care at all.

Get the BA and minor in something else interesting. That will look much better than just a bio BS. The degree will make no difference.