BA vs. BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if it makes a difference if one has (or will have) a BA as opposed to a BS. I know that at some schools one can get a degree (in Bio for example) and get either degree. At my school the degree is dependant on what college you are enrolled in within the university. Students in the the College of Arts & Sciences automatically get a BA, and students in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences automatically get a BS. You can major in bio in both colleges, so a bio major taking the same classes can get different degrees. I was in the Ag school, so I have a BS. Do you think this will help me at all?

Members don't see this ad.

No it does not matter whether you get a BS or BA.

Both are bachelors degrees, and while one may think that a science curriculum would get you a BS (for example, a major in biology or zoology), it doesn't always work that way. Some schools give BA degrees for majors in science.

Either way it won't make a lick of difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad school only gives BAs, so I have a BA in Biology. I don't think it matters that much unless you elected to take easier classes and get a BA (i think state schools might make it harder to get BSs).

I believe the main difference between a BA and a BS is the specificity of a degree. For the most part, biology is considered a general degree, and would be awarded a BA. On the other hand, something like finance would be considered more specific, and would be awarded a BS.

As far as which would help to get into school, it makes no difference.

KDBuff said:
I believe the main difference between a BA and a BS is the specificity of a degree. For the most part, biology is considered a general degree, and would be awarded a BA. On the other hand, something like finance would be considered more specific, and would be awarded a BS.

As far as which would help to get into school, it makes no difference.

Good logic, although I don't know if that even holds true at most schools anymore.

At my school, anything related to the sciences was given a BS, and anything non-science was given a BA (humanities, etc.).

I agree with the other posters, it doesn't make a hill of beans if you have a BA or BS. As long as you have the pre-requisite courses and kick butt on you DAT, you will be in good shape.