BA vs Bs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SloppyJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental schools care if you have a BS or a BA. I am currenty going after a BS in Biology-Physio, but that's going to cost me an extra semester when compared with a BA Bio degree. The BA degree has less units, and does not require the more rigorous classes for my BS degree. I am thinking of staying longer to raise my GPA and getting the BS, but it will also mean I will be 24 when I goto dental school.................. What are you guys thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, what are your grades like? If you need to increase your gpa you need to take harder level science classes for two reasons:

1.) to illustrate you can complete hard science courses
2.) to show the adcom you can get good grades and a upward grade trend.

DesiDentist

Hey there Sloppyjoe,

As far as I'm aware, dental schools don't care if you got a BA or BS, but I think you do have to fulfill the pre-dental course requirements though.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gavin
Why a BA ?

Maybe because dental school applicants with BS degrees in Biology (like me) are a dime-a-dozen. :D

Seriously though, whether you have a BA or BS is not an issue at most dental schools I know of. Just do it!

Now y'all excuse me while I celebrate, having just gotten back my National Boards Pt.I score.. :laugh:

As Tom said, nearly all applicants have a BS.

In seriousness, however, BA applicants are generally much more well-rounded individuals, who are able to contribute in a greater (and broader!) manner than BS applicants.

This is a general statement, and certainly extracurricular activities, minors, life experiences, etc. can prove that this statement doesn't hold up all of the time.

BS rules!!!!

Well doesn't a more rigourous class schedule count for something? The BA I was talking about was for Biology, not for liberal arts. I am going for a minor in Humanities to appear more "well rounded".
I guess what I wondering is that "does a harder class schedule earn you extra points in the admissions process?" Instead of ecology, I'll be taking immunology, embryology etc etc...

Well yeah, a rigorous class schedule sure would count for something... If you do well! :D

I think the adcoms would tend to favor someone who did the normal 16-credit-semesters for his four years of college and graduated with a 3.8 GPA, rather than someone who took 20 credits per semester every year but struggled to maintain a 2.5 because of the heavy courseload..

Gotta know your own limitations and plan accordingly. If you are sure you can handle a heavy courseload and still kick ass, by all means go for it!

As far as the BA vs. BS thing... I looked at my sister's transcript (she graduated from the combined 7-year BA-DDS program at NYU in 2000) and her BA is in biology. I didn't notice any courses on her undergrad transcript that was above and beyond what someone might do for a BS in biology (like me!) or vice versa. The degree requirements might vary at some schools or even be arbitrary (shrug).

Sloppy
What is the diff in a BA vs BS in Biology at your school?
Does it require no Ochem for a BA? If that is the case than you need to get a BS.
Or is it just less Biology courses? If you want a BA because you want to concentrate on a minor than that is fine~! DO what makes you happy and not what you think will make you "look good."
I hear though that taking more upper division courses looks good.

The BA at my school only requires a semester of the "easier o-chem" w/ a lab, and does not require usual Ochem and Biochem take by pre-health students and also some of the harder upper division bio course. Our BS requires a minor in chemistry. I think I will stick to the BS and work hard in getting good grades in the classess. Most of the classess are recommended by dental schools anyways. Hopefully my hardwork will pay off! Thanks for all the advice guys.

I say go for the BS. All schools require a full year of Ochem. Some schools are even requiring Biochem as a prereq these days!