Baby Animal Vets??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SportsJunkie25

...
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

This may be a strange question so brace yourself: Would it be hard to have a vet practice that solely worked on baby animals? Apparently, I'm obsessed w/ babies (humans and animals). When considering medical school, I only wanted to do something in Pediatrics and when considering vet school, technically, I'd only want to work w/ baby animals (any animal). So...just wondering??

If that's not an option, I'd be interested in just working w/ cats or small dogs and cats. I'm not a fan of big animals. I'm a kitten, puppy, bunny, hamster, gerbil kind of person.

What do you guys think?
 
Hello!

This may be a strange question so brace yourself: Would it be hard to have a vet practice that solely worked on baby animals?

Yeah, logistically it really wouldn't work.

First off its only a pretty small minority of patients seen that are in for their puppy/kitten shots/castration. And once the animals become 1 or 2 years old and you refer them elsewhere, thats where they will go for the remainder of their animals life.

When that person subsequently gets a new pet, they will most likely stay with the vet they have had an established relationship over the years instead of going back to you.

The closest thing you could get to being a "veterinary pediatrician" would be to work for a pet store based on % pediatric patients "seen". Next up would probably be in shelter medicine.
 
Or you specialize in repro. That's the closest I can think of. Of course what I actually thought of was:

"So why do you want to be a vet?"

"I love animals, and want to play with puppies and kittens all day!"

:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone I was talking to recently, mentioned an avian pediatrician. 🙄
I have no idea how you would go about being a veterinary pediatrician though.
 
I was actually going to title this thread "Pediatric Vet" but I thought that would sound ever stranger. Also, I wouldn't want to lose my patient base by not seeing them after they weren't "kittens and puppies".

Maybe I'll just stick w/ small animal medicine...(until my kittens and puppy gig takes off. Kidding...I guess.)

Or you specialize in repro. That's the closest I can think of. Of course what I actually thought of was:

"So why do you want to be a vet?"

"I love animals, and want to play with puppies and kittens all day!"

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh: I was waiting for that one. I knew someone was going to say that. Hey! If I can turn it into a job, why not? Don't hate! 😎 Lol. But seriously, I'd stay away from that "goal" during my interview...the adcoms would be like...REJECT!
 
Or you specialize in repro.

I actually work for a repro vet. Lots of bitches, but we don't see so much of the puppies. A lot of breeders like to vaccinate their own puppies, so we don't see that many after the C-section. Get some in at 3 days for tail docs and dew claw removals, but thats usually the last we see of breeder puppies.


On the other hand at the animal shelter we always had tons of kittens their and a fair amount of puppies. So plenty of opportunities for pediatric spay and neuter.(which I perosnally really dig) Anything over 2 pounds would go to surgery.
 
I actually work for a repro vet. Lots of bitches, but we don't see so much of the puppies. A lot of breeders like to vaccinate their own puppies, so we don't see that many after the C-section. Get some in at 3 days for tail docs and dew claw removals, but thats usually the last we see of breeder puppies.


On the other hand at the animal shelter we always had tons of kittens their and a fair amount of puppies. So plenty of opportunities for pediatric spay and neuter.(which I perosnally really dig) Anything over 2 pounds would go to surgery.

Don't shelter vets have to do a high number of well-euthanasia?
 
Hey! No way!!! If you find out how to go about it... let me know! I love snuggly puppies and kittens too. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No way man! I thought twice about posting this b/c I didn't want anyone to steal all of my puppies and kittens. :scared: Lol.

Well, I'll think about it...
 
I would say as well that the closest you will get is repro. The problem is, the people who will pay $1500.00 for a c-section are also totaly capable of doing all the aftercare, often including the tail docks. I will be honest, as a former breeder the first time I brought my dogs to any clinic was at 6 months for their debark/rabies. After that, only for inseminations or sections. The general public probably will only come in for well checks. Unlike in human/primate medicine, young dogs and cats are rarely brought in as babies. If there is a pediatric problem, often euthinasia is the preferred option.

To David, let me guess, you work at a certain fairly well-know clinic in North Ridgeville? He is my role model more or less.
 
To David, let me guess, you work at a certain fairly well-know clinic in North Ridgeville? He is my role model more or less.

Nope. Just a small clinic up in Massachusetts where the owner is a board certified therio guy. Well known would depend who you talk to.

And having a bunch I googled North Ridgeville. We have used semen collected by them in the past.

I am an OOS student going to Ohio. At the school they have two therio guys there who apparently are both more large animal oriented.
 
Last edited:
There's no board certification for it (that I know of at least), and it looks like you're mainly interested in small animal, but I know there are some equine vets in my area with an emphasis neonatal care. Course, I think people in general are more likely to go to extreme lengths to care for a foal produced from a $500,000 stud fee than for your average kitten or puppy. Just a thought.
 
I think it's a bit deluded to only be interested in baby animals. I mean, pediatricians are present in the human medicine world because they deal with unique situations. Their patients can't explain what hurts, and they won't respond in the same way that adults do - you can't approach a child the same way that you approach an adult. With animals, it's pretty universal - none of them will tell you what hurts - and so that distinction isn't really present.

I suppose that there could very well be specific diseases that will affect young animals specifically, as there are diseases like that in human medicine... if you were looking to become a master of treating or dealing with these diseases, that would be one thing. But, it seems like you're more interested in them because they're cute and easy to deal with (just my impression) so that might not apply.

Really, I just think it's a bit silly because we ALL love puppies and kittens. It just seems like a weird thing to actually pursue.

Like I said, though, these are my opinions. You can pursue whatever you like for whatever reasons you like! And, perhaps I've misread your message entirely. So, you know, a grain of salt and all that. 🙂
 
There's no board certification for it (that I know of at least.

I think you are right. I think the only way to get into pediatrics is if the OP, in her practice, concentrates (I don't know what to call it since specialize is the incorrect term to use) on specific diseases in animals that age?
 
I suppose that there could very well be specific diseases that will affect young animals specifically, as there are diseases like that in human medicine... if you were looking to become a master of treating or dealing with these diseases

Oops... same idea. Didn't see your post.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's a bit deluded to only be interested in baby animals. I mean, pediatricians are present in the human medicine world because they deal with unique situations. Their patients can't explain what hurts, and they won't respond in the same way that adults do - you can't approach a child the same way that you approach an adult. With animals, it's pretty universal - none of them will tell you what hurts - and so that distinction isn't really present.

I suppose that there could very well be specific diseases that will affect young animals specifically, as there are diseases like that in human medicine... if you were looking to become a master of treating or dealing with these diseases, that would be one thing. But, it seems like you're more interested in them because they're cute and easy to deal with (just my impression) so that might not apply.

Really, I just think it's a bit silly because we ALL love puppies and kittens. It just seems like a weird thing to actually pursue.

Like I said, though, these are my opinions. You can pursue whatever you like for whatever reasons you like! And, perhaps I've misread your message entirely. So, you know, a grain of salt and all that. 🙂


I agree. I am a sucker for puppy breath, and would bottle it if I could!:idea: But you have to keep things in perspective. Humans have a lengthy childhood and dependence stage. Animals on the other hand, mature more rapidly and become independent and self sufficient a lot sooner. In short, puppies and kittens grow up fast!🙁 (Too bad for puppy breath!)
 
Very unlikely to have an exclusive baby animal practice. But there are things you can do to increase the number of babies you see. Offer regular puppy classes and kitten kindergarten. Socialization of new, young pets is a big thing now and getting more popular. Of course you'll have to do some research to make sure you run the classes properly. I think people would be excited to be able to get their animals' initial training and their vet care all in the same place. If it's too much to have regular classes, you can have puppy parties once a month or something like that.
 
I get my fix by fostering neonates as the need arises. Kittens are pretty much my favorite things in the world.
 
I get my fix by fostering neonates as the need arises. Kittens are pretty much my favorite things in the world.

Oooo.. me too!!! I foster underweight, underage and sick kittens. 😍
Although, it's also because my husband is scared of cats and nixed that idea! 😉
 
I think it's a bit deluded to only be interested in baby animals. I mean, pediatricians are present in the human medicine world because they deal with unique situations. Their patients can't explain what hurts, and they won't respond in the same way that adults do - you can't approach a child the same way that you approach an adult. With animals, it's pretty universal - none of them will tell you what hurts - and so that distinction isn't really present.

I suppose that there could very well be specific diseases that will affect young animals specifically, as there are diseases like that in human medicine... if you were looking to become a master of treating or dealing with these diseases, that would be one thing. But, it seems like you're more interested in them because they're cute and easy to deal with (just my impression) so that might not apply.

Really, I just think it's a bit silly because we ALL love puppies and kittens. It just seems like a weird thing to actually pursue.

Like I said, though, these are my opinions. You can pursue whatever you like for whatever reasons you like! And, perhaps I've misread your message entirely. So, you know, a grain of salt and all that. 🙂

Thank you for your thoughts, but I could care less. If you think this is silly/weird, you're one less person I'd have to worry about taking my puppy/kitten business. :laugh::laugh: But in all seriousness, I know most people like puppies and kittens (and figured most of you guys would be like "Ugh! Here goes another pre-vet who just wants to play w/ puppies and kittens all day!" but it's more than that. I've always like ALL baby animals (not just puppies and kittens) and if I could have a practice that was dedicated to that, that would be awesome. If not, I think I'll survive; small animal medicine is something I'm interested in, but best believe my creative thoughts are spinning...

Fyi- Don't compare kids to kittens/puppies...I think we all know there's a HUGE difference. 🙄

** Oh, and can someone answer my question about shelter vets and well-euthanasia?? Post #8 **
 
I should seek out some kittens to foster - I've never done that before. Believe it or not, I'm a cat person 100%... it runs pretty deep. Of course I love Chloe too, and shes so damn photogenic that she's invaded my profiles and avatars, but felines are a major interest for me.

Sorry, off topic a bit...
 
Thank you for your thoughts, but I could care less. If you think this is silly/weird, you're one less person I'd have to worry about taking my puppy/kitten business. :laugh::laugh: But in all seriousness, I know most people like puppies and kittens (and figured most of you guys would be like "Ugh! Here goes another pre-vet who just wants to play w/ puppies and kittens all day!" but it's more than that. I've always like ALL baby animals (not just puppies and kittens) and if I could have a practice that was dedicated to that, that would be awesome.

Ok, normally I steer clear of these threads that look like they might become fiesty, but twelvetigers is pretty awesome and saying something like "I could care less" is pretty much pointless. If you weren't ready to hear open discussion about it, why did you ask? I think everyone has brought up some really legitimate reasons why it might not work! And honestly, I agree with twelvetigers, it does seem a bit delusional to want to work only with baby animals because "you love babies". Heck, I love babies! I think most of us love "baby animals"! It is one of the perks of the job!

Fyi- Don't compare kids to kittens/puppies...I think we all know there's a HUGE difference. 🙄

FYI - I think BR549 brought up a really good point there, and I don't think that his point was "In case anyone never noticed, human babies don't have fur!!!".

** Oh, and can someone answer my question about shelter vets and well-euthanasia?? Post #8 **

What do you mean by well-euthanasia (this may be a term I am not familiar with). Do you mean euthanizing healthy animals?
 
But in all seriousness, I know most people like puppies and kittens (and figured most of you guys would be like "Ugh! Here goes another pre-vet who just wants to play w/ puppies and kittens all day!" but it's more than that. I've always like ALL baby animals (not just puppies and kittens) and if I could have a practice that was dedicated to that, that would be awesome. If not, I think I'll survive; small animal medicine is something I'm interested in, but best believe my creative thoughts are spinning...

I think the big question would be how much veterinary experience do you have at this point?

Especially considering you made this post a mere 8 days ago:

Answer: Yes, I want to be a physician. It's med school or bust for me; nothing else really interests me (<--even though I've read all of the "do something else" threads...I can't find anything else that remotely interests me. Time to take the plunge I guess...)

over in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=616503
 
As a human pediatrician you have 18 years to treat your patients before they are considered adults. As a veterinarian you have 9-12 months so even if you focused on diseases and special circumstances involving young animals, your time frame is too short to feasibly center a career around it.

Have you had a chance to work with a vet yet? You might find you enjoy large older animals just as much if not more than the babies. Since animals are living so much longer you could spend a lot of your time treating geriatrics. People will be more willing to put money into an animal they've had for a significant period of time than into one they are just starting to bond with. And you can't beat a loyal old dog or an ancient lap cat. 😛
 
Hello!

This may be a strange question so brace yourself: Would it be hard to have a vet practice that solely worked on baby animals? Apparently, I'm obsessed w/ babies (humans and animals). When considering medical school, I only wanted to do something in Pediatrics and when considering vet school, technically, I'd only want to work w/ baby animals (any animal). So...just wondering??

If that's not an option, I'd be interested in just working w/ cats or small dogs and cats. I'm not a fan of big animals. I'm a kitten, puppy, bunny, hamster, gerbil kind of person.

What do you guys think?


Honestly I would strongly consider avoiding vet med after reading your post. Your not going to be able to work only with baby animals except perhaps if you specialized in equine neonates which you said you are not a fan of a large animals.
 
Ok, normally I steer clear of these threads that look like they might become fiesty, but twelvetigers is pretty awesome and saying something like "I could care less" is pretty much pointless. If you weren't ready to hear open discussion about it, why did you ask? I think everyone has brought up some really legitimate reasons why it might not work! And honestly, I agree with twelvetigers, it does seem a bit delusional to want to work only with baby animals because "you love babies". Heck, I love babies! I think most of us love "baby animals"! It is one of the perks of the job!

You're correct. I did post this thread to hear opinions but you (and twelevetigers) can keep your "that's a stupid idea" comments to yourself. I know you guys didn't say that, but basically, that's what you meant. A simple yes or no is sufficient. I don't care if you guys disagree with it; I'm not asking you to join me. I'm sure I'm coming off a bit rude but I don't fair well with people who pretty much point fingers and say, "That's dumb!" Thanks but no thanks...still, "I could care less!" 🙄

FYI - I think BR549 brought up a really good point there, and I don't think that his point was "In case anyone never noticed, human babies don't have fur!!!".

I agree, BR549 did make a good point; I never said he didn't. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I was responding to twelvetigers, not BR549

What do you mean by well-euthanasia (this may be a term I am not familiar with). Do you mean euthanizing healthy animals?

Yes, well-euthanasia is the same as "euthanizing healthy animals", "shelter euthanasia", etc.

By the way, not only did you not steer clear of a thread you supposedly don't like to get involved in, but you're responding instead of twelvetiger; you just butted in. I'm sure twelvetiger can hold his own...

I think the big question would be how much veterinary experience do you have at this point?

Especially considering you made this post a mere 8 days ago: /quote]

The answer is, not a lot. I definitely have more experience working with humans vs animals but I've been thinking lately, I'll probably enjoy working w/ animals moreso than humans. I don't know...I'm still debating. As you can see by my previous posts 😀

Have you had a chance to work with a vet yet? You might find you enjoy large older animals just as much if not more than the babies. Since animals are living so much longer you could spend a lot of your time treating geriatrics. People will be more willing to put money into an animal they've had for a significant period of time than into one they are just starting to bond with. And you can't beat a loyal old dog or an ancient lap cat. 😛

No, I haven't had a chance to work w/ a vet. I just talked to the shelter today and I think they'll allow me to shadow or work w/ the vet...if the vet will let me. The lady I was talking to said she's ask the Vet today so...we shall see. :xf:

You're right. Puppies and kittens are way cuter, better behaved and have less diseases I can catch from them. 😀

:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, well-euthanasia is the same as "euthanizing healthy animals", "shelter euthanasia", etc.

Those are not all synonymous.

Shelter vets rarely do the euthanasias. That job is usually delegated to shelter staff so the vet can use their skills for things that actually require a vet.
 
Honestly I would strongly consider avoiding vet med after reading your post. Your not going to be able to work only with baby animals except perhaps if you specialized in equine neonates which you said you are not a fan of a large animals.

Ugh! Do you guys read entire posts? Right after that I said, " If that's not an option, I'd be interested in just working w/ cats or small dogs and cats!"

You guys are acting like I'm being super naive and saying, "I only want to be a vet if I can have 100% baby animals!" If you (and some others) would read all of my post, you would know that's not that case. I think I've stated my "other interests" twice...maybe 3 times. So, before you say I shouldn't pursue vet med b/c I want to work w/ "baby animals"...read my post...completely.
 
Those are not all synonymous.

Shelter vets rarely do the euthanasias. That job is usually delegated to shelter staff so the vet can use their skills for things that actually require a vet.

?

If you do shelter work as a vet you won't be personally euthanizing healthy animals all day?

Edit:

Sorry. Misread your question.
 
Your implying that "Euthanizing healthy animals" = "shelter euthanasia"

But thats putting a really bad spin on "shelter euthanasia." Shelters tend to look out for the best interest of the animal. If an animal is sick or suffering, some will be treated(if its treatable) others will be euthanized.

Then you get into animals that are unadoptable. Some for temperament issues and they pose a risk to the public at large. Would it be humane to let them live their whole life in a kennel because they cant be adopted out?

Others are healthy animals that are adoptable but simply don't get adopted(for whatever reason). And again you run across the debate of how humane is it to allow an animal just to live its life in a kennel.

Euthanasia is the last resort though. They don't just euthanize every healthy animal that comes in the door. Effort is made to give the animals the best chance possible.
 
?

If you do shelter work as a vet you won't be personally euthanizing healthy animals all day?

I've worked in a couple different shelters now and the vet doing a euthanasia is pretty rare. The vets usually focus on animal exams, rabies vaccines and surgery.

Euthanasia is handled by someone appropriately trained. A tech of sorts, or in some states their is a certification for "animal euthanasia technician" where they have specific training in properly preforming euthanasia.
 
Your implying that "Euthanizing healthy animals" = "shelter euthanasia"

But thats putting a really bad spin on "shelter euthanasia." Shelters tend look out for the best interest of the animal. If an animal is sick or suffering, some will be treated(if its treatable) others will be euthanized.

Then you get into animals that are unadoptable. Some for temperament issues and they pose a risk to the public at large. Would it be humane to let them live their whole life in a kennel because they cant be adopted out?

Others are healthy animals that are adoptable but simply don't get adopted(for whatever reason). And again you run across the debate of how humane is it to allow an animal just to live its life in a kennel.

Euthanasia is the last resort though. They don't just euthanize every healthy animal that comes in the door. Effort is made to give the animals the best chance possible.

👍

It's too late for me to be trying to answer questions. I'm not even interpreting them right :laugh:
 
I've worked in a couple different shelters now and the vet doing a euthanasia is pretty rare. The vets usually focus on animal exams, rabies vaccines and surgery.

Euthanasia is handled by someone appropriately trained. A tech of sorts, or in some states their is a certification for "animal euthanasia technician" where they have specific training in properly preforming euthanasia.

Woo...I was quoting you for emphasis to answer sportsjunkie's question...

Edit: Seriously. What's up with me tonight? That came out sounding jerky.

I was quoting you and piggy-backing off of it to answer the 'how are they not synonymous' question, because for some reason I thought the question was 'how are vets not performing euthanasias all the time?' (don't ask)...I'm just going to go remove my foot from my mouth and not get further involved in a conversation regarding one of my hot-button topics. It wouldn't be pretty 🙂
 
You guys are acting like I'm being super naive and saying, "I only want to be a vet if I can have 100% baby animals!"

??? Are you serious!?

1. Emphasis on "technically"! Technically pretty much means, that would be awesome but if it's not possible, then ok.

2. Read the ENTIRE post! I'll say it again - right after that, I said I'd be interested in working w/ only cats (I've seen a couple of cat vets who have cat hospitals w/ cat hotels) or working with small cats and dogs (i.e. small animal medicine).

3. Translation = Working w/ baby animals would be cool but if I can't, that's ok b/c I'm interested in other aspects of vet med. Such as what you ask? Feline vet med or small animal vet med...
 
??? Are you serious!?

1. Emphasis on "technically"! Technically pretty much means, that would be awesome but if it's not possible, then ok.

2. Read the ENTIRE post! I'll say it again - right after that, I said I'd be interested in working w/ only cats (I've seen a couple of cat vets who have cat hospitals w/ cat hotels) or working with small cats and dogs (i.e. small animal medicine).

3. Translation = Working w/ baby animals would be cool but if I can't, that's ok b/c I'm interested in other aspects of vet med. Such as what you ask? Feline vet med or small animal vet med...

I think the best piece of advice anyone has given is to get some more experience. I'm not saying you won't love it, or that you don't have the right idea and it's just getting mistranslated through cyberspace, but if you can find some vets to shadow - hopefully some of the specialties mentioned on here (therio, shelter, etc.) - then you'll have a much better idea of it's something you want to do.
 
I think the best piece of advice anyone has given is to get some more experience. I'm not saying you won't love it, or that you don't have the right idea and it's just getting mistranslated through cyberspace, but if you can find some vets to shadow - hopefully some of the specialties mentioned on here (therio, shelter, etc.) - then you'll have a much better idea of it's something you want to do.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I hope I get to shadow a couple soon but in my local area, most vets don't allow you to shadow them. They say it's b/c of insurance. Darn.

I've considered all of the constructive posts and intend to look into them. Many thanks! I'm just not a fan of some of the posters who are insinuating that my ideas are pretty much foolish. We'll not go into what I think about them...anymore than I have. 😀
 
Actually, I think you sound well-suited for human medical school.

I knew someone was going to say that. 😳 I just get really irked when people tell me (or other people) that their ideas are silly. Like seriously, who are you to rain on somebody's parade? That's just how I am...

I also don't like it when people half-read something then have the nerve to blatantly say you shouldn't do this, this or that. Like seriously, read everything before saying stuff like that. I know you didn't ask what "irked" me...I just felt like explaining my jerkiness towards some posters.
 
Be a small animal vet and foster puppies and kittens for a local shelter in your free time. The shelter people will LOVE you and you'll never run out of baby animals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Be a small animal vet and foster puppies and kittens for a local shelter in your free time. The shelter people will LOVE you and you'll never run out of baby animals.

What do you mean by foster puppies and kittens? Like, be a foster mom...but for puppies/kittens?

By the way, if the cat in your avatar is super cute!
 
Actually, I think you sound well-suited for human medical school.

:laugh: 👍

I just get really irked when people tell me (or other people) that their ideas are silly.

Why post in a public forum asking other people to weigh in on your idea, then? I mean, sure, I can understand getting offended if people were rude (I didn't see anyone doing this, but your opinion obviously differs).

Still, you've got your answer, from this population of folks anyhow. No, a practice focusing just on baby animals does not seem like a feasible veterinary medicine business idea. If you want to try to prove us wrong, go for it. Regardless, the consensus appears to be that it's not realistic. Do you have anything else constructive to discuss on the point, or do you just want to keep finding things at which to be offended?
 
The challenge of limiting yourself to just one or two species is that a veterinary degree allows you to work on all species (except humans). That means the vet program has to give you at least enough exposure to bovine, equine, swine, avian, etc to pass boards, and will hopefully give you at least some working knowledge of the most common domesticated species. So, you'll spend a whole lot of time and energy learning about animals that you have no interest in every working with someday. Once you graduate, the choice to specialize or limit yourself to one species is yours, but in order to graduate you have to be motivated enough to pass all your large animal classes!
 
Obviously this doesn't solve the career issuse but fostering is a great way to keep you in constant supply of puppies and kittens without ending up with like 23 dogs and 47 cats.