Baby Animal Vets??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

All I'm saying is that no one is twisting your arm to reply to the posts that offend you. If all you are going to do is whine that no one is listening to you, then people are going to keep bothering you. If you're going to address what you consider constructive and ignore what is bothering you, it will go away. I'm a believer in explaining once, because any more then that and no one is going to want to read it.

I replied because I couldn't tell that you aren't sensitive. By your own admission you can't help yourself from responding. IMO you are kind of acting like a glorified troll. I will leave it at that.

:clap::clap::clap:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering about the feasibility of only working with Maremma Sheepdogs from age 2 years 5 months and 2 days to age 2 years 5 months and 7 days. Does anyone have any information about this for me?? I mean, technically this is all I'd really want to do with a vet degree. I believe that this is a critical point in the life of this particular breed. I'm also interested in world peace.

tia

edit: don't tell me this is stupid or I will get offended and pretend to huff off except I'll actually sit here and press f5 and keep posting

Awesome. Totally awesome post.
 
Eventualeventer, AWESOME photo!

Just a thought in response to the equine neonatal specialist idea...even though foals are "babies", they're still big enough to hurt you and more importantly, they come with a rather large mare by their side. Caring for sick foals requires you to develop the horse skills to safely handle the mare as well as the foal. Also, while foals are absolutely adorable, caring for a sick foal requires an immense amount of patience as they are not always the most cooperative. Like any other area of vet med, I recommend getting a lot of experience in this area before deciding to pursue it. Attending a foaling where everything goes according to plan and the foal stands and nurses on its own is a lot different from a foaling that produces a compromised foal that is then dependent on you to bottle feed or tube it every hour for who knows how long.
 
Nasty!!! :wtf:

Poochlover I have to ask where you got your Aussie from, he looks like something I might have bred, or out of one of my kids.


Haha-sorry if that was crude. My dog caught a rabbit with tapeworms and then he got tapeworms. And we found those little white proglottids in his poo. I was just trying to add to the marshmellow comment-hope I didn't offend. 🙂

Sorry to say the australian sheperd is not mine. It was a random pic I googled. I need to get a pic of my dog up-but he is at home and I don't have any on my new laptop. My grandpa has a farm and has had numerous australian sheperds, but none as pretty as the dog in my pic! That was why I chose it. That is awesome that you breed them-do you have one that has the coloration of the one in my profile?
 
I'm going with rainbows because I don't want to imagine butterflies hanging out in a colon wating to be farted out. My mind is a little to visual for my liking most days.....

Thanks, and now we ALL get the visual....farting butterflies :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha-sorry if that was crude. My dog caught a rabbit with tapeworms and then he got tapeworms. And we found those little white proglottids in his poo. I was just trying to add to the marshmellow comment-hope I didn't offend. 🙂

Sorry to say the australian sheperd is not mine. It was a random pic I googled. I need to get a pic of my dog up-but he is at home and I don't have any on my new laptop. My grandpa has a farm and has had numerous australian sheperds, but none as pretty as the dog in my pic! That was why I chose it. That is awesome that you breed them-do you have one that has the coloration of the one in my profile?

You did not offend me at all, I thought that comment and the visual of farting butterflies was hillarious -- right up my alley! I really love how this discussion topic has morphed from the original, and this time it is not my fault -- I didn't start the wandering. 😀 Just fed the flames.

As for blue merle Aussies, yes I have just a few. I have here at school two red merle and a blue merle Australian Shepherd. At my ex's kennel there are about 6 left of all colours. I have bred them for about 14 years, and did "just a little bit" of winning before I slowed down on the showing as I returned to school. I have probably bred maybe 20 litters of them. Please no one slam me for that -- trust me there is always a waiting list for my puppies, both pet and show. Also, no I rarely turn a profit in the end with a litter, I do it for me and me alone, the pups I sell are just the ones I couldn't keep.
 
Please no one slam me for that -- trust me there is always a waiting list for my puppies, both pet and show. Also, no I rarely turn a profit in the end with a litter, I do it for me and me alone, the pups I sell are just the ones I couldn't keep.

I don't think anyone's against responsible breeding. I've done a lot of rescue work, and completely support breeding done right - most people share that opinion that I've talked with.
 
Nyanko is my favourite too. And Emio. And EventualEventer. Ok everyone is my favourite!!

Ok I have a serious reply to the original topic:

You know I totally had this same idea as a genuine idea, hey there's all kinds of specialties, dermatology, oncology, pathology, equine orthopedics, radiology, etc ad nauseum - why not pediatrics?
And I found for my own personal reasons, for myself is that I would not last 10 seconds in pediatrics because...
It's not the healthy fluffy cute ones that'd I'd get. I'd get the freak of natures, the hydrocephalies, transposition of the great vessels, malformations, chimeras, and all the freaky god awful stuff that if nothing else on this green earth freaks you out - this will.
It'd be all the super wierd referral stuff that no one else can figure out. So I wouldn't be treating sniffles, I'd be fixing Persistent Ductus Arteriosus. Ok well those are kinda neat - but the success rates are not so good. Plus my business would have to be supplemented somehow because there's just not enough of those freak occurrences to justify a daily 9-5 job.
Either that or I could do equine pediatrics, but I'd have my best chance of a job at only a few hospitals in the nation. I can only think of a few around the Kentucky area.

And speaking as the leading Unicorn authority in the Southern United States...Unicorns do in fact poop marshmallows. They are packaged & sold in stores as "Jumbo Marshmallows."
 
Well shee-it (pun intended), ya larn sumthin' new every day! Jumbo marshmallows, indeed.

InfiniVet, I could go for equine pediatrics in a NY minute, but business would still be very seasonal. I think there certainly are vets who do a lot of work with neonates during the spring, but they generally aren't able to specialize 100%, unless they are able to "migrate" down to NZ/Australia during our fall and winter (is that even possible?).
 
I have heard that there is enough of a demand for good equine repro vets in Australia that there are places that will pay you to come work the breeding season as well as cover your travel and living expenses while you're there. I think this could be a really cool experience, but wouldn't be the most sustainable life style to say the least. I think repro vets are so busy from Jan-July that they need the breather before they gear up to do it all over again. Obviously they need to supplement their work by seeing other types of cases, but the breeding season is so intense and sleepless that it would be tough to maintain those hours year round.