FCIllini

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
Hey Everyone,
New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. Here's my current situation:

Stopped going to school and I've been selling real estate in Houston for the past four years. Working 60-70 hours/week, got married 1 1/2 years ago, and have a 5 1/2 week old baby girl.

For the past couple semesters, I've been taking night & online courses to finish up my bachelors at the University of Houston. I currently have approx. 120 semester hours, but still need about 30 to finish the degree program I'm in. It's tough to finish up 30 hours though with a family & working 7 days a week. I have a 3.83 GPA (3.80 science). The only prereq. I lack is physics II which I will take next fall. I'm taking the DAT this spring and will apply for Fall of 2006 entry.

It's going to be tough for me to complete my bachelors (especially with a family to support) prior to Fall '06. If I do well on my DAT (19-20), what do y'all think are my chances? Do the committees look at outside work & trying to balance school and work? Any consideration for already being out in the work place?

Thanks for your help/advice!!

pink-rose57

undergrad-lad
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Alabama
Status
Pre-Dental
I've been told (on this site anyway) that you don't really need physics II to take the DAT. You might wanna take it before you actually graduate. Don't some schools offer acceptances to those w/o a bachelors degree? I think so.

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
FCIllini said:
Hey Everyone,
New to the forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. Here's my current situation:

Stopped going to school and I've been selling real estate in Houston for the past four years. Working 60-70 hours/week, got married 1 1/2 years ago, and have a 5 1/2 week old baby girl.

For the past couple semesters, I've been taking night & online courses to finish up my bachelors at the University of Houston. I currently have approx. 120 semester hours, but still need about 30 to finish the degree program I'm in. It's tough to finish up 30 hours though with a family & working 7 days a week. I have a 3.83 GPA (3.80 science). The only prereq. I lack is physics II which I will take next fall. I'm taking the DAT this spring and will apply for Fall of 2006 entry.

It's going to be tough for me to complete my bachelors (especially with a family to support) prior to Fall '06. If I do well on my DAT (19-20), what do y'all think are my chances? Do the committees look at outside work & trying to balance school and work? Any consideration for already being out in the work place?

there is no physics on the DAT, yet you need to take physics II before attending dental school. i think you have a really good chance of being accepted as you are a non-traditional student your gpa is great, just have to do decent on the dat's like you said 19-20's will do. make sure you have done some shadowing before you apply for admission and you're good to go! :thumbup:

L

lunguv

Nendo21 said:
there is no physics on the DAT, yet you need to take physics II before attending dental school. i think you have a really good chance of being accepted as you are a non-traditional student your gpa is great, just have to do decent on the dat's like you said 19-20's will do. make sure you have done some shadowing before you apply for admission and you're good to go! :thumbup:
She has no clue what shes talking about!! All you need to do is get 20's and you will be just fine! Err wait...thats what Nendo21 said also...I retract my previous statment :D .

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
FCIllini said:
Hey Everyone,

Do well on the DAT, and you will have a high chance of getting into UT houston and baylor without a degree. All you have to do, is have the prereq done before matriculation. Great GPA and Science GPA by the way and with kids even better.

there is a Texas thread on here called TMDSAS, if you have any question regarding texas dental schools, post in that thread and your questions will be answered.

HD

OP
FCIllini

FCIllini

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
Even without a bachelor's degree, you think a 20 will be good enough to get in?

OP
FCIllini

FCIllini

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
Let me rephrase that - with all prereqs. met but no bachelor's degree, is a 20 good enough?

Nendo21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
FCIllini said:
Let me rephrase that - with all prereqs. met but no bachelor's degree, is a 20 good enough?
i would say with 20's you'd have a chance of getting in because you gpa is so high but you need to call up your schools and ask them because some schools really do give priority to those with degrees.

hockeydentist

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2002
The eye of the storm
Visit site
Status
FCIllini said:
What else do you bring to the table. What are you're letters of Rec like. Do you have a strong background in the dental field, I.e. volunteer work in an office, dental assisting, dental research etc. Other types of volunteer work.

3.8 and 20 DAT, you would be considered a strong applicant. Unless you have a personality of a rock and you stunk it up in the interview then, I could see that as a possible denial, otherwise your good to go. Again as a disclaimer, I am not on the admission commitee, and much better answer would come from the dean of admission at each school your interested in.

Good luck, this process is a biatch.

let us know how it goes.

HD

OP
FCIllini

FCIllini

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
I will have a letter of recommendation from a dentist who is an alum of UT-Houston. He is also putting me into contact with the Dean of Admissions. I have done many hours of shadowing of this dentist.

In regards to personality, I negotiate contracts for a living. Last year, our RE/MAX Team was #1 in Texas, selling over 700+ homes. I negotiated approx. 350 of those. Talking to people is what I do for a living, so hopefully the interview won't be an issue.

I also will have two letters from two college professors (Biology I & II prof and Cellular Biology prof). Just hoping that the committee will look past the lack of a bachelors and see the motivation I have to get into dental school.