Back from Philly apartment hunting!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dominic

PCO C/O 2009!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi PCO people :)
Im back now from Philadelphia. I had a great time driving up there and back from FL. I found a few good apartment complexes I had never seen before, one is farther away than the others, but they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Here's my options...

St. Ives is my first choice. $595 1bedroom, $645 for a bigger 1bedroom, and $1050 for a townhome (HUGE) that I can split with someone :)
http://www.apartmentguide.com/Property/property.asp?wsv_qsGeoKey=1,39,109&wsv_psPropertyID=10768
I can buy my own washer and dryer and it's not far from the PCO and it's not in the ghetto either. It looks very safe, but it's a huge complex. Their 2 bedrooms are nice too. Big Kitchen and dishwasher too :)

Hatfield Village is my next choice. 1bed runs around $680, but unlike St ives Id be stuck with coin laundry and non-central heat and air, and its 17mi from college. http://www.apartmentguide.com/Property/property.asp?wsv_qsGeoKey=1,39,109&wsv_psPropertyID=7078

If anyone would like to be roommates feel free to IM me or email me. I'd really prefer to split a big townhome, and both complexes allow pets. We wont be able to get the blackboard information until May 05, so I'm looking for a possibly roommate now before then. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Dude!

How's it going...I was just noticing ur post...St. Ive's is far from school isn't it? If I'm thinking of the right place..isnt it right off of Woodhaven Road. You'll have to inform me but if that's it ur commute to school is going to be around half an hour. Did u check out any other apartments closer? Hatfield has to be atleast 20 minutes away, right.. Maybe u can try around NE Philly ..like if u follow Township Line Road up to where it becomes Cottman. Those St. Ives apartments do look nice from what Ive seen driving by them..haha...but they just seem really far away. Ok dont mind my comments. :)

Phillygirl98 said:
Dude!

How's it going...I was just noticing ur post...St. Ive's is far from school isn't it? If I'm thinking of the right place..isnt it right off of Woodhaven Road. You'll have to inform me but if that's it ur commute to school is going to be around half an hour. Did u check out any other apartments closer? Hatfield has to be atleast 20 minutes away, right.. Maybe u can try around NE Philly ..like if u follow Township Line Road up to where it becomes Cottman. Those St. Ives apartments do look nice from what Ive seen driving by them..haha...but they just seem really far away. Ok dont mind my comments. :)

Well its only 11 miles away, I drove it - in the snow! and it wasn't bad at all. Will you be needing a roommate in the fall? Ive got lots of furniture right now (dining set, kitchen tools, all my own bedroom and PC gear, and will be running a wireless internet wherever I go) so I'll be pretty set. I just need someone to split the bill and possibly carpool with if the schedules are even enough.

Anyways I liked it. And yes I did look all over town, and as far as I could tell everything near campus just didn't appeal to me. For the money, even a 1 bedroom at $600 is a steal for Philadelphia. If it does take me 30min, I don't mind, I like driving and it'll make sure my car is warmed up by the time I get to class. I used to drive 45-60min each way to class when I lived in Pensacola, FL - so 11mi even in-town isn't bad :). The savings alone having my own washer and dryer is worth it to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

Yeah well half an hour driving does beat an hour that u said u used to drive. No I dont need a roommate..I'm fortunately or unfortunately, however u want to look at it, am living at home with mother..haha. I'm about a 10-15 minute drive from the school. I myself havent decided if that's a good thing or not..I guess it has its ups and downs but for now thats what I'm doing. Yeah rent is high..but where you are looking probably does have rent on the cheaper side unless you were to look in some bad neightborhood which no one wants to live in..haha. I actually remember seeing St. Ives all the time and being like wow those look so nice..haha. Good luck finding a roommate. I'm sure we'll be meeting in the fall. :)

Hey,

I have posted this before but thought you might be interested in it to read reviews about aparments your considering:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Philadelphia-St-Ives.html

I know that not every complaint you read is trustworthy, but I believe it is a good start to gather information on a neighboorhood and then you can find out if the complaints have any credibility to them from the leasing office.

Usually the posts are mostly negative because more likely people who want to complain will take the time to post than people who want to priase an apt. I have chose to live at Trilogy apartments in Wyncote about 1.5 miles from school. The posts on that website on Trilogy weren't very good either, but it did allow me to see what people where saying and I took up the issues with the leasing office and they did what they could to explain themselves. All I am saying is reading them can't hurt, then you know what questions to ask. By no means am I saying belive everything you read..but hey it can't hurt to read and then follow up with the leasing office.

just thought i'd share...

Yeah Ive read those... and they're mostly old. They're renovated them since and the cars in the parking lots aren't smashed into. Thanks for the info though :)

Yay! Im on blackboard now (PCO) so Im on the housing list! Who else got their blackboard passwords? :)

I didn't get the blackboard id yet either...i emailed todd about it hopefully i'll get it soon! Check out my report on the apartments in the "PCO students where do you live" thread! :D