Back pain!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yougotit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 3 hours into the operation, my back is killing me! Do you guys have any tips about how to stand correctly, how to handle instruments or do you know a website with such recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Your back is killing you because as a student you are often in odd positions with the bed at a height which is not adjusted for your height.

Wear good shoes.
Wear support hose (more for the legs than the back).
Move whenever you are able.
Use steps if needed to adjust your height.
Strengthen your core muscles.

After 3 hours into the operation, my back is killing me! Do you guys have any tips about how to stand correctly, how to handle instruments or do you know a website with such recommendations?

You'll make an excellent pediatrician!

Members don't see this ad :)
*Proper-fitting shoes with adequate arch support
*Stand up straight (every med student slouches or bends over in order to get their face closer to the field)
*Stretch your legs/back from time to time
*Don't lock your knees
*Strengthen your abdominal muscles/core

All of the above and also one more thing.
Make sure that your glasses/contacts prescription (if you have one) is as accurate as possible. Having your eyesight be off will cause you to bend over a little more to see more clearly and worsen your back pain.

Well coming from a fellow medical student, I would definitely agree with all the attendings are saying. One thing I found useful was actually trying to stand up straighter, with good posture. It really helped with back pain, especially when you are wearing lead. Plus I got custom fit orthodics (sp?) in my shoes and they make a world of difference!