Back to masks for us

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiddCo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My med school (northeast MD school) just announced we are going back to mandatory masks.

On top of that, 100% of my class is vaccinated and the community we live at is at 70% vaccinated.

Just curious if this is happening anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
East coast DO school. Masks and proof of vaccination are required. No club events are allowed on campus.

US SE MD school, never went away from masks ever for any indoor school functions. I think we may have relaxed masks for outdoor and fully vaccinated. But I'm surprised to hear your school was maskless for a while?

Members don't see this ad :)
An increasing number of vaccinated people are getting covid with the new variant. It’s not unreasonable to require masks indoors.

Completely agree and fully support masking. Was just curious about the ongoings at other schools at this point in time.

Delta is scary.

Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree and fully support masking. Was just curious about the ongoings at other schools at this point in time.

Delta is scary.
Our school president said for now things will stay the same, but if the local area sees a substantial increase in cases, we will likely go back to masks indoors. Of course I’m on rotations and every hospital is still requiring masks anyway, so it doesn’t really affect me at all.

An increasing number of vaccinated people are getting covid with the new variant. It’s not unreasonable to require masks indoors.
I read that the rate of “breakthrough” infection rate is only like 0.2% for the vaccinated though.

I read that the rate of “breakthrough” infection rate is only like 0.2% for the vaccinated though.

Yeah I think it’s still low, but at least anecdotally people seem to be reporting increased infections in vaccinated people. That said, it seems like more than 95% of hospitalizations are still in the unvaccinated. It’s still not unreasonable.

Reactions: 2 users

Meh, you should read these things a little more critically. Think about the Cape Cod outbreak over the 4th of July where 75% were fully vaccinated. What's different there? The people were unmasked, partying, and likely much closer than people are when they're going about their regular business. Of course Cape Cod is in MA, a place my former roommate used to call the People's Republic... but I digress. Most people on Cape Cod are likely vaccinated, but still 75% were fully vaccinated so that might explain the numbers. The other thing is that many vaccinated people may get infected while asymptomatic so we may never know how many actually get Covid and recent data shows they can still spread it to unvaccinated individuals. This is important because not everyone can be vaccinated. So say one of your profs has a young child at home or a spouse or parents or in laws who can't get the vaccine due to a medical condition. Even if he or she is vaccinated, they're still putting their family at risk.

Masks make sense. At least for now.

I've heard of 7 confirmed breakthroughs so far within the health system my school is a part of. Age ranges from mid twenties to 70s. No information on how symptomatic though.

This was a few weeks ago, I wonder what that number is now.

I can’t speak to the rates of breakthrough infection but odds of severe disease is still dramatically reduced in the vaccinated

Yes, its happening everywhere because there's enough stupid people in the world who are afraid of Bill Gates 5G microchip shot and instead prefer to be walking/talking petri dishes.

Not to mention that one political party has waaaaayyy more of these dumbos than the other

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they getting hospitalized? That's the real concern here

The CDC is a complete disaster since the start of the pandemic and they have completely lost their credibility so it's hard

SPF here we come

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I can’t speak to the rates of breakthrough infection but odds of severe disease is still dramatically reduced in the vaccinated
If the odds of severe disease are reduced, it makes no sense to force vaccinated people to mask up.

I only do it in medical settings regardless of mask mandates purely because i feel safe

If the odds of severe disease are reduced, it makes no sense to force vaccinated people to mask up.

I only do it in medical settings regardless of mask mandates purely because i feel safe

CDC says vaxxed people can still spread it.
I much rather we over-do than under… and at > 600,000 dead, we can’t do half-measures

Reactions: 5 users
CDC says vaxxed people can still spread it.
I much rather we over-do than under… and at > 600,000 dead, we can’t do half-measures
The CDC based that claim on incomplete and apparently misleading data

"Inside the CDC, some officials disagree with the agency’s conclusion that vaccinated people who become infected may spread the virus as readily as the unvaccinated, and argue that more testing needs to be done, including tests that measure how infectious virus particles are, according to a person familiar with the matter

“There’s no one-to-one relationship between high viral load and infectivity, but we’re always making decisions based on imperfect data,” said Tom Frieden, who headed the CDC from 2009 to 2017."

Seriously, the CDC is a disaster and has been a complete mess since the pandemic started

The CDC is a complete disaster since the start of the pandemic and they have completely lost their credibility so it's hard

Agree that Trump era CDC had that issue, given the loyalty pledges required by him.

I have way more faith in the current admin and its handling

• Okay...

"Inside the CDC, some officials disagree with the agency’s conclusion that vaccinated people who become infected may spread the virus as readily as the unvaccinated, and argue that more testing needs to be done, including tests that measure how infectious virus particles are, according to a person familiar with the matter

“There’s no one-to-one relationship between high viral load and infectivity, but we’re always making decisions based on imperfect data,” said Tom Frieden, who headed the CDC from 2009 to 2017."

Seriously, the CDC is a disaster and has been a complete mess since the pandemic started

Again… even if completely wrong it is a small step to get unvaxxed to wear it.

Agree that Trump era CDC had that issue, given the loyalty pledges required by him.

I have way more faith in the current admin and its handling
Biden era CDC prematurely got rid of masks for vaccinated few months ago when delta variant was just on the rise.

Again… even if completely wrong it is a small step to get unvaxxed to wear it.
The unvaxxed are likely not going to listen to CDC guidance if they haven't gotten vaccinated yet (assuming they had no underlying conditions that'd prevent them from getting vaccines)

It’s not the full concern. If people are getting covid, it doesn’t matter if they’re hospitalized if they’re giving it to other people who might be.

That is extremely hyperbolic and not an accurate representation.

That is extremely hyperbolic and not an accurate representation.
It is accurate. The CDC data used is incomplete and misleading as mentioned above. The CDC also made an idiotic decision to get rid of masks prematurely in may when delta was just on the rise. The credibility of CDC is compromised.

It’s not the full concern. If people are getting covid, it doesn’t matter if they’re hospitalized if they’re giving it to other people who might be.
Hospitalizations are the top priority though, and even then the breakthrough infection rate is much less than 1%

It is accurate. The CDC data used is incomplete and misleading as mentioned above. The CDC also made an idiotic decision to get rid of masks prematurely in may when delta was just on the rise. The credibility of CDC is compromised.

Hospitalizations are the top priority though, and even then the breakthrough infection rate is much less than 1%

What are you talking about?

Most of the unvaccinated we are "putting at risk" by going maskless probably would prefer we didnt wear a mask anyways.

The vaccine still seems to be highly effective as, from my understanding, less than .01% of infections leading to hospitalization are people who were vaccinated.

But in my regional area, the states were all roughly in 35-40% in terms of people who were fully vaccinated.

While I understand why people would want to go back to mask mandates, the driving force seems to be continued hesitancy to get the vaccine. Its unreal to me that they're people out there who actually believe in the whole bill gates/microchip thing. Talking with them about it, its scary how steadfast people are rooted into this giant web of covid vaccination conspiracies.

What are you talking about?
Basically i understand and support why the mask mandates are in place due to the delta/other covid variants but the CDC completely lost its credibility since the start of the pandemic and their recent guidance, reversal and reversal of reversal looks especially absurd.

I don't know which school does not have the mask mandate in place.

Honest question: Is there solid research proving most of the masks we wear are actually effective, especially among the young in school who have to suffer wearing them in class? During the first months of this pandemic, even the CDC's website said there wasn't any. I haven't bother looking in this lately because, honestly, I have covid burnout. (FTR, I'm vaccinated and don't belong to either stupid political party.)

Honest question: Is there solid research proving most of the masks we wear are actually effective, especially among the young in school who have to suffer wearing them in class? During the first months of this pandemic, even the CDC's website said there wasn't any. I haven't bother looking in this lately because, honestly, I have covid burnout. (FTR, I'm vaccinated and don't belong to either stupid political party.)
The CDC is a mess

Ha... when people start questioning the utility of PPE.

Go ahead... try some cereal.
tenor.gif

Suffer??? Lmfao

Reactions: 8 users
South MD, masks never went away.

Suffer??? Lmfao
I don't know anyone who enjoys wearing them. Do your kids? Especially those who wear glasses constantly fogging up and having teachers scold them for not covering their nose? Or those who participate in activities such as sports, choir, theater? My kid quit some activities because of masks. So, yeah, suffer.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
I don't know anyone who enjoys wearing them. Do your kids? Especially those who wear glasses constantly fogging up and having teachers scold them for not covering their nose? Or those who participate in activities such as sports, choir, theater? My kid quit some activities because of masks. So, yeah, suffer.
My kids “suffer” when they don’t get candy. End. Of. The. World.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
I'm sorry but this is a joke, right? What do you think I and many others did every day in surgery for hours and hours and for years on end prior to Covid? Sure, I don't actively want to wear a mask but suffer? There are also many ways to avoid fogging glasses. Do you think no one who wears glasses works in surgery?

If I can lift weights and run in a mask then a 10 year old can do a terrible job chasing a soccer ball or sing in a chore. It's happening everywhere on earth.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm sorry but this is a joke, right? What do you think I and many others did every day in surgery for hours and hours and for years on end prior to Covid? Sure, I don't actively want to wear a mask but suffer? There are also many ways to avoid fogging glasses. Do you think no one who wears glasses works in surgery?

If I can lift weights and run in a mask then a 10 year old can do a terrible job chasing a soccer ball or sing in a chore. It's happening everywhere on earth.
lol. Are you serious? I didn't realize this was a pissing contest. My god. The word suffer literally means to experience something unpleasant; undergo or endure. Do you jump down people's throat for saying "I'm suffering a cold"? Whether you think my kid was wrong to not want to participate in activities because of masks, doesn't change the fact that it sucked the joy out of it for them, i.e. unpleasant. And that many kids have and continue to endure wearing masks doesn't change the fact that many have also stopped participating because of them. SDN certainly has its share of insufferable people.

lol. Are you serious? I didn't realize this was a pissing contest. My god. The word suffer literally means to experience something unpleasant; undergo or endure. Do you jump down people's throat for saying "I'm suffering a cold"? Whether you think my kid was wrong to not want to participate in activities because of masks, doesn't change the fact that it sucked the joy out of it for them, i.e. unpleasant. And that many kids have and continue to endure wearing masks doesn't change the fact that many have also stopped participating because of them. SDN certainly has its share of insufferable people.
It has plenty of incredibly melodramatic people as well, apparently. I'm sorry your child has to suffer such an incredible burden during these bizarre times. I can't even imagine how you feel about them having to wash their hands more too. WOULD THE ADMIN THINK OF THEIR DRY HANDS?!

The wording was just so silly it had to be brought up. Feel free to call me insufferable for commenting on the language used by a helicopter parent hanging out on a medical forum lol.

• Haha
It’s not solid stats, just my experience, but I’m in the ICU right now. 1 month ago we had 1 Covid patient on my service out of 16. Now we’re running at 13-15 out of 16 the last couple weeks. Of the ones we have, about 20-30% were fully vaccinated.

Biden era CDC prematurely got rid of masks for vaccinated few months ago when delta variant was just on the rise.

The unvaxxed are likely not going to listen to CDC guidance if they haven't gotten vaccinated yet (assuming they had no underlying conditions that'd prevent them from getting vaccines)

My thinking is that if vaxxed are OK to be unmasked, then there is no way to tell vaxxed from *******es.

So just make it that everyone has to wear a mask, and that helps reduce the # of people said *******es expose to the virus. (this was before the latest info about vacx

We start treating for meningitis, PE UGIB etc with the appropriate meds even before the diagnosis is confirmed since any delay can be deadly.

Now apply that to something that has killed 600,000 people.

I much rather we overdo than under, and if the doofuses that continually refuse had actually listened then it wouldnt be this bad.

Florida has one county where 97% of hospitalised pts are unvaxxed… something to be said for not treating them to serve as an impetus for others but alas a pipe dream

I totally disagree with the stats being passed around that vaccinated people are safe from this virus.

The "99.99% of vaccinated people haven't had a breakthrough infection" statistic being propagated around is totally misleading. The denominator of that stat is the entire population and doesn't reflect actual risk. That would be like saying 99.3% of the entire US population hasn't been hospitalized for COVID, and 90% has never tested positive, so the risk isn't high (those numbers are true based on the collected data).

I work in an outpatient clinic where about 70% of my population is fully vaccinated. I have had no difference in the number of sick people coming in with COVID in regards to vaccine status. In fact, I've actually had more severe cases requiring hospitalization for some vaccinated folks than during the last peak, when almost noone was vaccinated.

I get that as doctors we want to encourage other people to get the vaccine, but making assumptions that the vaccines are continuing to work as before is wrong. We stopped testing vaccinated people for a long time, and all stats about COVID currently floating around really don't include vaccinated folks. The past couple of weeks we switched back to testing everyone regardless of vaccine status and are finding really horrifying results that these vaccines aren't really playing much of a difference here, or at least as much we we would like.

Areas with higher amounts of unvaccinated people are seeing high amounts of unvaccinated people in the hospital...which makes sense. But areas like mine where the vaccinated population is higher than the unvaccinated, we are seeing the vaccinated hospitalizations being higher than the unvaccinated. Thats not making the news though, because we don't want to discourage people to get vaccinated.

Get ready for another long winter.

Last edited:
I totally disagree with the stats being passed around that vaccinated people are safe from this virus.

The "99.99% of vaccinated people haven't had a breakthrough infection" statistic being propagated around is totally misleading. The denominator of that stat is the entire population and doesn't reflect actual risk. That would be like saying 99.3% of the entire US population hasn't been hospitalized for COVID, and 90% has never tested positive, so the risk isn't high (those numbers are true based on the collected data).

I work in an outpatient clinic where about 70% of my population is fully vaccinated. I have had no difference in the number of sick people coming in with COVID in regards to vaccine status. In fact, I've actually had more severe cases requiring hospitalization for some vaccinated folks than during the last peak, when almost noone was vaccinated.

I get that as doctors we want to encourage other people to get the vaccine, but making assumptions that the vaccines are continuing to work as before is wrong. We stopped testing vaccinated people for a long time, and all stats about COVID currently floating around really don't include vaccinated folks. The past couple of weeks we switched back to testing everyone regardless of vaccine status and are finding really horrifying results that these vaccines aren't really playing much of a difference here, or at least as much we we would like.

Areas with higher amounts of unvaccinated people are seeing high amounts of unvaccinated people in the hospital...which makes sense. But areas like mine where the vaccinated population is higher than the unvaccinated, we are seeing the vaccinated hospitalizations being higher than the unvaccinated. Thats not making the news though, because we don't want to discourage people to get vaccinated.

Get ready for another long winter.
I question this. My state is close to 50/50 vaccinated and unvaccinated. None of the larger hospitals in the state are seeing what you're seeing. My hospital system is running at 95% of inpatient COVID patients unvaccinated.

Reactions: 11 users
You definitely have the right to question it, I did too at first. My area may be an outlier, or maybe we have some new variant brewing here. My big takeaway from it all is to hope for the best but expect the worst. I don’t treat vaccinated people with any more protection at this point anymore until I see how this ends up playing out.

I'll wade into this conversation with this question: what if new variants (such as lambda) truly evade immunity conferred by the current vaccines? It'll be impossible to lock down the US like it was March-June 2020. Things already look bleak with delta breaking through in vacc'ed individuals. I'm running out of arguments to convince my r*publican family members to get a vaccine.

And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little annoyed that my small-group discussions with 100% vaccinated classmates have to be masked, but then we're all able to go get drinks afterwards with no precautions. Where is the logic in that?? How much of this is simply performative?

At what point does this turn into essentially a "bad flu?" e.g., get your yearly shot if you want, it will be variably protective against severe illness, if you don't want it, c'est la vie.