Back to school after 6 years - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ReapPremed

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if I fall into "nontraditional" yet, but I think this forum might be best suited to my question. Ive been accepted this cycle, finally, but I'm my late 20's and haven't had a class in 6 years. I applied to medical school 2 years out of undergrad and it took me 4 tries to gain entry (uGPA 3.6-ish, MCAT 515-ish in 2016).

Now that I'm going back to school I'm honestly scared I won't adjust well, or will have forgotten how to study. I tell myself that after 4 years of constant applications I can handle stress and rejection and buckle down for late night sexondaries; that my 18-month old MCAT shows I can handle the material; that working in a lab the last 5 years has kept my head in the game. I've never had any mental health issues before. Still, part of me is terrified I'll go to med school and won't be able to hack it.

For now work is slow (I'm a bit checked out) and I'm really just focused on relaxing after what's been a grueling journey. I've joined a gym, I'm cooking healthier, I'm focusing on my hobbies. Is there more I should be doing?

How have other people dealt with returning to school after long absences? How did you prepare? Did you do okay? And how has the wise @Goro found students in my situation to be during preclinical years?
 
I don't know if I fall into "nontraditional" yet, but I think this forum might be best suited to my question. Ive been accepted this cycle, finally, but I'm my late 20's and haven't had a class in 6 years. I applied to medical school 2 years out of undergrad and it took me 4 tries to gain entry (uGPA 3.6-ish, MCAT 515-ish in 2016).

Now that I'm going back to school I'm honestly scared I won't adjust well, or will have forgotten how to study. I tell myself that after 4 years of constant applications I can handle stress and rejection and buckle down for late night sexondaries; that my 18-month old MCAT shows I can handle the material; that working in a lab the last 5 years has kept my head in the game. I've never had any mental health issues before. Still, part of me is terrified I'll go to med school and won't be able to hack it.

For now work is slow (I'm a bit checked out) and I'm really just focused on relaxing after what's been a grueling journey. I've joined a gym, I'm cooking healthier, I'm focusing on my hobbies. Is there more I should be doing?

How have other people dealt with returning to school after long absences? How did you prepare? Did you do okay? And how has the wise @Goro found students in my situation to be during preclinical years?
And congrats on the accept!!!
👍😍😍😍:luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::hello::hello::hello::biglove::biglove::biglove:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if I fall into "nontraditional" yet, but I think this forum might be best suited to my question. Ive been accepted this cycle, finally, but I'm my late 20's and haven't had a class in 6 years. I applied to medical school 2 years out of undergrad and it took me 4 tries to gain entry (uGPA 3.6-ish, MCAT 515-ish in 2016).

Now that I'm going back to school I'm honestly scared I won't adjust well, or will have forgotten how to study. I tell myself that after 4 years of constant applications I can handle stress and rejection and buckle down for late night sexondaries; that my 18-month old MCAT shows I can handle the material; that working in a lab the last 5 years has kept my head in the game. I've never had any mental health issues before. Still, part of me is terrified I'll go to med school and won't be able to hack it.

For now work is slow (I'm a bit checked out) and I'm really just focused on relaxing after what's been a grueling journey. I've joined a gym, I'm cooking healthier, I'm focusing on my hobbies. Is there more I should be doing?

How have other people dealt with returning to school after long absences? How did you prepare? Did you do okay? And how has the wise @Goro found students in my situation to be during preclinical years?
Late night sexondaries brings up many different thoughts. Great Freudian slip. 🙂