1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Back Up Plans?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by jemc2000, May 6, 2004.

1. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

I do not consider this thinking negatively, but at my age, and with my circumstances (4 C's from 1982), I have to consider back up plans.

As UF is the only school I can apply to, if I don't get in, I am considering going to UCF or USF for a Chemistry degree, perhaps forensic chemistry.

Does anyone else have a back up plan, or if you don't get into pharmacy school on your first try, are you just going to apply to other schools?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've had 4 rejections so far, and I've yet to hear from MWU - CCU or UF. However, being a USF student already, I was given priority for fall registration pretty early on, so I've already registered for Cell Biology and Determinative Bacteriology in the fall. I'm anticipating that I won't be getting in this year, and actually, I'm fine with that. :thumbup: I've learned a lot in the process this year, and there are some things I would like to do this coming year in order to better prep for the next application period. So, to completely answer your question, I'll be taking upper-level science courses next year (the ones I've mentioned plus Biochem and others in the spring) and reapplying for 2005 when the app period begins in June. :)

4. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I went ahead and got my BS in biology before applying because I could always fall back on that degree if I didn't get in. Also, if something happens and I don't get to finish pharmacy school, I'll still have the degree.

My backup plans were to work at medical software development company in Palm Harbor, do environmental biology for the state, or go to work for Swiftmud.

5. angelil_yu

angelil_yu Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, actually, I came up with an idea to be a pharmacist not long time ago. But it popped up immediately in my head to be a pharmacist, so you can say, it's like a surprise from me to my family that I plan to be a pharmacist because since I was a little kid, I always love reading anything about our body and its mechanisms (health kinda stuff), and it's not surprising because my dad is a general practitioner.
    But now, I really wanna go for pharm school, and I am just too afraid if I got no place to continue (say, if all schools reject me). I don't really have a back up plan yet, but I think you should always try your best, fulfill everything that is required, and if you've done that, none will reject you.

--a little philosophy from me.

(a little luck will also help),

6. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In a perfect world.... :D

7. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    1982? They are not going to hold 20 year old C's against you. But, aren't your prereqs required to be more current?

You may find it inspiring that one of my classmates was an accountant for 22 years before returning to school to get her Pharm.D.

8. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

I spoke to the advisor at UF and she said that the Physics and Calculus I took then would count. They meet the prereqs, but they also count in my GPA. Since starting back, I have received A's. But even if I get A's in everything, 3.6 is the best I can get. :( I sure hope that will be good enough.

9. Caverject

15+ Year Member

I hope you have that in writing

10. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Michele,

UF didn't count my F in Calculus that was over 20 years old and I took the class at UF! I retook the class at another school and that is the only grade they used.

I know you don't have time to retake them and I don't think the C's will hurt you as long as you keep getting those A's. If for some reason you don't get accepted, then I'd retake them and shoot for the next year.

11. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If all your recent classes have been good, I think you'll be ok. You could retake a couple of the classes to raise the gpa if you're really worried. I think that since physics and calculus are not courses you will build on much in the future, those are the courses to get c's in if you are going to have c's on the transcript.

I got c's in my (calc based) physics and in the final O-Chem course. I got in to school with a 3.6 gpa. And one of my crappy grades was later on my transcript. They will look at more than just grades. Your recommendations, activities, and test scores will offer you more chances to prove that you are a competitive candidate.

I strongly agree with south2006 that you ought to get the promise of this advisor in writing. Make sure that she has the authority to allow those courses in and is willing to be up front about supporting you. I got into a situation with one school where I HAD a signed letter and they still did not want to let my biostats class count towards their stats requirement. Writing is always the best way to get those promises to turn into reality.

Anna

12. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Thank you, South2006. I have written UF and have an email stating those class will count toward my prereqs. So hopefully, that will prevent any surprising next spring.

13. imperial frog

imperial frog Pharm.D
    5+ Year Member

Make sure the email specifically says that the classes have been approved by the appropriate deciding committee. I was told initially by UF that one of my classes would count via email, but then when I got my acceptance it said I had to still take the class because the class I took didn't meet the requirements. I had to submit a petition to get the class I had already gotten approval for to count as a prereq.

14. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, Imperial Frog. I already have that email saying that the specific classes meet the requirements. Now I have one that says the age of the classes doesn't matter.

Now to just get through 6 week sessions of Biology and Chem II. :rolleyes:

15. imperial frog

imperial frog Pharm.D
    5+ Year Member

I had the email too...it just wasn't from the person who could actually make that determination apparently. When my info was sent to the committee to make a decision on my acceptance they said it wasn't acceptable. I learned not to settle on an answer from the front office.