Back up schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burningheat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on the GPA and MCAT! You should be in pretty good shape for your in-state schools. I wouldn't worry much about delineating the shadowing hours. Perhaps if you list the "top 20s" you're interested in we could provide strong advice.

With strong stats like yours, you're really going to come down to geography. What regions of the country can you see yourself living in for 4 years?

CA schools are a crapshoot, even with stats like yours (but you do have an excellent shot).

Your ECs seem on the light side, especially the clinical experience stuff that you've only done for 6 months. Having said that, your chances of getting an acceptance (with your numbers) are probably very high if you apply to a broad range of schools.

Your research may be a little bit on the low side for highly ranked research schools; have you given many presentations, attended conferences, etc? Again, your numbers make you competitive regardless, but these things will also help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, great stats. I must say, I am jealous!

Before you make your list too top heavy with the highly-selective schools that your stats suggest would fit you well, keep in mind that those schools are looking to train future leaders in medicine. Ask yourself if your Experiences reflect that potential. From the sparse information provided, tht potential isn't evident, but I understand you may prefer to retain anonymity if some of your experiences are too identifiable. If what you've mentioned is all there is, then your niche may be below the top 20 schools, though adding some dream schools is always a good idea, so that at least you tried. If it's really important to you to go to a highly ranked school, then another year of substantive research (ideally with a pub), some strong leadership, and some continued involvement in community service and a clinical venue might be in order.

With the volunteering time in the family practice office, I would carve out the hours you spent actively engaged in helping to care for patients and put it as clinical experince time, with the rest listed under physician shadowing (typically listed under "Other"). Since your other mentioned clinical experience is on the very-light side for a typical applicant, it will help you (a lot) to separate out the FP office time in this way.

Last edited:
Haha, this sounds quite defensive! And I suppose it is, but I definitely do appreciate the advice and prefer it harsh and if I really do need more EC, it would be good to know. I was heavily considering retaking MCAT as my practice score average was 39-40 and that day I ran out of time on english, forcing me to guess on practically a whole passage. But I do not think I will, also my GPA results from a single B in intro biology... lol

So I will definitely apply to all UC schools + Stanford + Loma Linda for Calil, OOS im not sure which is why I made this thread ^^ Thanks for all the help guys! and please tell me if I need even more clinical or leadership and I can find someway to achieve it ...

As for research, the chance of pubs is near nill as my current lab does not publish often as it is a mix of funding from pharmaceutical companies to test cancer medications and publications are mixed it occasionally.

Last edited:
LOL: You've gone from saying that you weren't sure if the RA postion mattered to discovering you've engaged in a substantive leadership experience that will enhance your application significantly. I think you should be able to turn it into something very solid and convincing (but stay succinct, so it gets read) with proper wordsmithing effort. I'd say that was time well spent on SDN.

I agree with you: Definitely do not retake the MCAT.

Hopefully, a glowing walks-on-water type of LOR will come from your PI to make up for having no chance at a publication.

For OOS, consider UIllinois and Rosalind Franklin, which love Californians, as backup schools.

thank you for those two schools! I will definitely look into them and was exactly what I wanted to know. So probably like 10 middle tier schools would be fine to be safe? I would be devastated if I do not get into anything and wondering numbers game wise how many I need to apply to to be safe?