Backup plan if I don't get accepted to med school?

Started by IndieMed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IndieMed

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to graduate with my Associates in the spring of 2016. When I start in the fall of the next year, I have to declare a major. Now my issue is WHAT to major in! If I don't get accepted in med school I still want to stay in the medical field. Now what are some classes I could take that will be useful for another route if med school doesn't work out? What are some other jobs in medical that I could pursue? Thank you.
 
NP and PA are good paths, as is an MPH or a PhD if you like research. Major in whatever you like, because most healthcare related jobs require some form of specialized schooling after undergrad.

My personal opinion is that a degree in the sciences (Math, physics, chem, bio, etc) are highly valuable for anyone looking to land a good job. An English, history, or anthropology major is comparatively useless for getting a job*.

* thats not to say the degree is invaluable, you learn a lot with those degrees the knowledge just doesn't hold a bunch of employment benefit.
 
Chemistry is practical
Bio could lead to jobs in pharmaceutical companies


Instead of physics, I would do engineering-- although I'm not sure if you could do engineering unless you have been taking prerequisites in your associates degree that could transfer
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Job = STEM major.

Pure biology majors aren't all that useful in terms of finding a job, but like someone mentioned Biomedical Engineering is currently "safer". Either way, if your doing something with biology don't be surprised if they require more education.

Though, being a STEM major and chances for high a GPA are inversely proportional. So, every bit of the way, make sure you love your major or it will no longer be a back-up plan.
 
NP and PA are good paths, as is an MPH or a PhD if you like research. Major in whatever you like, because most healthcare related jobs require some form of specialized schooling after undergrad.

My personal opinion is that a degree in the sciences (Math, physics, chem, bio, etc) are highly valuable for anyone looking to land a good job. An English, history, or anthropology major is comparatively useless for getting a job*.

* thats not to say the degree is invaluable, you learn a lot with those degrees the knowledge just doesn't hold a bunch of employment benefit.

Job = STEM major.

Pure biology majors aren't all that useful in terms of finding a job, but like someone mentioned Biomedical Engineering is currently "safer". Either way, if your doing something with biology don't be surprised if they require more education.

Though, being a STEM major and chances for high a GPA are inversely proportional. So, every bit of the way, make sure you love your major or it will no longer be a back-up plan.
I second the notion that biology degrees are worthless unless you want to go to grad school or be a low-level lab slave. If you want to get a useful science degree, pick anything other than bio.
 
Nuclear Chemistry. I imagine it could lead into a lot of jobs on the radiation oncology and nuclear radiology areas, or with research on isotopes in therapy/imaging. And worse case nuclear technology is ever expanding so it's a decent fall-back outside of the medical realm.