Backup plan if I don't get accepted to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate with my Associates in the spring of 2016. When I start in the fall of the next year, I have to declare a major. Now my issue is WHAT to major in! If I don't get accepted in med school I still want to stay in the medical field. Now what are some classes I could take that will be useful for another route if med school doesn't work out? What are some other jobs in medical that I could pursue? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

NP and PA are good paths, as is an MPH or a PhD if you like research. Major in whatever you like, because most healthcare related jobs require some form of specialized schooling after undergrad.

My personal opinion is that a degree in the sciences (Math, physics, chem, bio, etc) are highly valuable for anyone looking to land a good job. An English, history, or anthropology major is comparatively useless for getting a job*.

* thats not to say the degree is invaluable, you learn a lot with those degrees the knowledge just doesn't hold a bunch of employment benefit.

Chemistry is practical
Bio could lead to jobs in pharmaceutical companies

Instead of physics, I would do engineering-- although I'm not sure if you could do engineering unless you have been taking prerequisites in your associates degree that could transfer

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Job = STEM major.

Pure biology majors aren't all that useful in terms of finding a job, but like someone mentioned Biomedical Engineering is currently "safer". Either way, if your doing something with biology don't be surprised if they require more education.

Though, being a STEM major and chances for high a GPA are inversely proportional. So, every bit of the way, make sure you love your major or it will no longer be a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 users
NP and PA are good paths, as is an MPH or a PhD if you like research. Major in whatever you like, because most healthcare related jobs require some form of specialized schooling after undergrad.

My personal opinion is that a degree in the sciences (Math, physics, chem, bio, etc) are highly valuable for anyone looking to land a good job. An English, history, or anthropology major is comparatively useless for getting a job*.

* thats not to say the degree is invaluable, you learn a lot with those degrees the knowledge just doesn't hold a bunch of employment benefit.

Job = STEM major.

Pure biology majors aren't all that useful in terms of finding a job, but like someone mentioned Biomedical Engineering is currently "safer". Either way, if your doing something with biology don't be surprised if they require more education.

Though, being a STEM major and chances for high a GPA are inversely proportional. So, every bit of the way, make sure you love your major or it will no longer be a back-up plan.
I second the notion that biology degrees are worthless unless you want to go to grad school or be a low-level lab slave. If you want to get a useful science degree, pick anything other than bio.

Reactions: 1 users
Occupational therapy or physical therapy or podiatry

Nuclear Chemistry. I imagine it could lead into a lot of jobs on the radiation oncology and nuclear radiology areas, or with research on isotopes in therapy/imaging. And worse case nuclear technology is ever expanding so it's a decent fall-back outside of the medical realm.