bad first semester..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daydreamin123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there are many, many topics with students in similar situation but for peace of mind I just had to ask about my own. First semester freshman year I really messed up. I'm really kicking myself over it but there's not much I can do for the rest of the semester. I was taking chemistry and dropped it with a W, and also am literally failing calculus. There's a very real possibility that I could end up with an F and I'm freaking out! I know I have a lot to work on in terms of habits, work ethic, self evaluation, etc, but I guess what I'm asking is, can it (getting into dental school) still be done? My school's policy allows for grade replacement and GPA recalculation, so if I aced it next time the F wouldn't be counted, although I'm aware dental schools would count it. If I take all my classes from here on out seriously and perform well can this horrible semester be overlooked?

PS my plan is to take chemistry next semester, chem II during the summer, and calc retake next fall

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. If you show improvement over the course of following years, it's possible. And for some schools' supplemental apps, they ask reasons for F or W grades. If you retake those and get A's it wouldn't look bad.

No one has ever actually asked me about my F. I have three acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're only a freshmen, there's still plenty of room for opportunity in academic and personal growth. Pick yourself up from your mistakes, learn from them, and move on to better yourself. It seems like the beginning semesters of college are more forgiving, and you can only go up from there, right? Continue on an upward GPA trend and you'll be fine :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I have one F and 3 W's and still have an acceptance. I probably should have applied earlier than I did (late August)... but either way, I'm starting dental school next year.

Reactions: 1 user