Bad Freshman Year...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPreDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I went to Cornell.... I'm not even taking many credits, but I think I will end up with a B, B-, or possibly even a C+ in an intro course. I feel SO stupid because I have AP credit to get this same credit at a state school.

I know without a doubt I could have gotten a much, much higher grade. I just had an extremely hard time getting used to college life, far from my parents, siblings, and friends.

I will probably be transferring to a state school next semester. I will already have credit for intro biology with my AP scores.

(1) Can I just "delete" my bad grade at Cornell with my AP credit?
(2) Will dental schools be turned off by a, worst case scenario, C+ at Cornell? What if I get nearly a 4.0 at my state school?

So my question basically boils down to... will a C+ amidst many A's hurt me for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not a big deal. Is that the whole reason you are transferring? If so, I would stay at Cornell. I had a bad first quarter at college but after I adjusted I did fine, and I just got into all the schools I applied to, so I don't think it matters as long as it's an isolated thing

No, you cannot delete the bad grade

I got two F's but managed to ace the rest of my UG and end up with a 3.73 ogpa. I got two offers today

Hey Guys,
What if I get nearly a 4.0 at my state school?

You've got the right idea. Upward trends matter. There have been many people that have been accepted with F's and even multiple F's on their transcripts, so a C+ is not a big deal IF it's early on in your academic career. Try to remember that admission committees are not computers and that there is no set formula for acceptance. I say this because I was pretty obsessed with stats like many on here for the longest time. They are people that were once in our shoes and know that there is much, much more to being a dentist than just being book smart. Do better in your classes from now on and be a well-rounded applicant. Try new things, join clubs, volunteer, etc. Meet new people. Above all, have fun! You don't want to be that guy/girl that snags an interview, but chokes because you've been a hermit for the past 4 years. Getting an interview is, unfortunately, a numbers game mostly, but afterwards it's more a question of character.