Bad freshmen year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmacstew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I had a bad freshmen year, because my mother died of a sudden heart attack, and it really affected my gpa. my freshman gpa was 1.7 I have raised it, and by the time I graduate will have about a 3.4-3.5 I really wnat to go to medical school, but I am scared to apply to schools, because of my gpa, and my freshman gpa. What do you guys think?
Crystal

Members don't see this ad.

i think you'll be fine. it sounds like you have a strong upward trend-- it's hard to recover from a 1.7, and you have a good reason for struggling your freshman year. when are you applying? if you haven't thought about it already, i would mention your mother's death in your personal statement but (and i can't emphasize this enough) DON'T WHINE. state what happened factualy, how you recovered, and move on. losing your mother so young must have been an incredible experience, and i admire your ability to come back to college and recover. but i don't think ad coms really like pity stories, so describe your situation without with emotion, but not in a "woe is me" fashion. just be blunt and truthful, and i think you'll be fine. :)

sooo... long story short... assuming your ec's are okay and you do well on the mcats, i don't see why you wouldn't apply and do well. best of luck!! :)

you can just bmup your previous post in the future. just letting you know:) . you seem to haev a legit reason for the freshman year gpa - and i think sweet teas response was appropriate. goodluck to you.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any really great advice, but I do think most admissions people would be understanding of you situation. I'm really sorry for your loss.

Sweet Tea is right -- no pity perspective. If you write or discuss this topic you would be best served by talking about what you learned about yourself and how you will better handle adversity in the future. As previous posts have indicated, your hard work and improved grades are all major plusses for you. Do not get discouraged, be positive. Good luck.