This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentluv1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a C in Physics I and I'm hoping for a B in physics II (grades are released on wed.)
How bad is this? My first C, Btw..
The class just sucked honestly. I'm a hard worker and studied a ton but its one of those things that I struggled with...
**Second time applicant to dental school this summer, didn't get in due to many reasons (which I know now and have made improvements) but i feel like this is really bad because its almost a "downgrade" from my last application :/
But I have improved my cs and shadowing hours, and hoping to improve DAT score mid-jury (2nd time taking it)
My science gpa will be around 3.4-3.5 at the time of application.

What are my chances? should i not apply? how bad is it? anyone had similar experience and got it with a C in physics?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine as long as you have a reason if they decide to ask you why you received the grade that you did! As long as you don't get more than one C, I think it should be fine! There are other factors in the application that is important too besides grades.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should be fine as long as you have a reason if they decide to ask you why you received the grade that you did! As long as you don't get more than one C, I think it should be fine! There are other factors in the application that is important too besides grades.
do you think if I get a C in physics II that will be very bad? I AM SO TERRIFIED :(

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think if I get a C in physics II that will be very bad? I AM SO TERRIFIED :(
I mean it's not great but I don't think it will affect you much as long as you do well in your other science classes like chemistry, biology, etc. (which are more important to dentistry than physics)

I mean it's not great but I don't think it will affect you much as long as you do well in your other science classes like chemistry, biology, etc. (which are more important to dentistry than physics)
Thank you, it made me feel better. Ive gotten all A's in my chem/biochem classes (except in chem 2 i got a B), and in all my bio classes I have an A (with the exception of receiving a few B's in classes like botany and ecology).

Thank you, it made me feel better. Ive gotten all A's in my chem/biochem classes (except in chem 2 i got a B), and in all my bio classes I have an A (with the exception of receiving a few B's in classes like botany and ecology).
Yup! You should be fine! Don't worry :) Good luck!

Anyone else? Perhaps someone who has had the same experience and has gotten accepted into dental school?

Anyone else? Perhaps someone who has had the same experience and has gotten accepted into dental school?
I got a C in physics I but got an A in physics II. Wasn't a problem. A single C isn't the end of the world. You will be fine.

Related question, I got a C+ in ochem two years ago which I figured is fine as long as I didn't receive any others in my pre-reqs and kept my GPA high. Turns out I got another C in a non pre-req class, but have kept my GPA pretty high. Will it heavily affect me?

Obviously C's aren't the best, but your resume will survive with one, two, or even three. as long as they are ALL in science classes. I had a C in chem one from freshman year and chose to retake it to prove I could do better, which is always an option. I had another C in a history class that I double hated and loathed entirely. None of them were brought up at all in interviews. A few outlier grades are bound to happen. College is difficult sometimes. As long as its not a habit, then you shouldn't worry too much.