Bad grades freshmen year/What should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActualName

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First semester I had a 3.66 (A in Chem 1 and Lab) this semester I had a 3.0 (C in Gen Chem 2, B in Chem Lab) The C is the only C I have on my transcript, but it's in a prerequisite class. Also I wound up not doing anything other than joining a premed society and doing occasional volunteer work. I'm at home for the summer and I'm shadowing a doctor currently.

Next semester I'm taking Bio, OChem, and physics.

Also I'm attending a state school from out of state should I try and transfer back to my home state?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Just don't do it again.

I do suggest separate physics and ochem. Unless either one is notoriously easy at your institution.

First semester I had a 3.66 (A in Chem 1 and Lab) this semester I had a 3.0 (C in Gen Chem 2, B in Chem Lab) The C is the only C I have on my transcript, but it's in a prerequisite class. Also I wound up not doing anything other than joining a premed society and doing occasional volunteer work. I'm at home for the summer and I'm shadowing a doctor currently.

Also I'm attending a state school from out of state should I try and transfer back to my home state?

Answer to your question:
Depends on if the OOS school is tougher to get good grades in. If so, i'd suggest staying in your home town. Can't risk dropping your GPA at this point of the game.

Rant:
If I read this as an AdCom, I'd give you hmmm 0% chance from the get go to be admitted to a school. Why? Because it does not stand out one bit.

Premed society? Check. Volunteer? Check. Shadowing? Check.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a now sophomore? You should be figuring out who you are as a person. What YOU like to do, not what other premeds like to do.

Take Bio, OChem, and Physics. Work hard and force yourself to be on the ball with academics so you can put your best foot forward there. Join a club that you enjoy. any hobbies? passions to help a specific population? good at music? cook great food? interested in clinical research? how about translational medicine?

A premed society is helpful in some ways in preparation but in getting you in to medicine? I'd like to think otherwise!

Basically, go beyond the typical premed gimic and figure yourself out and have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer to your question:
Depends on if the OOS school is tougher to get good grades in. If so, i'd suggest staying in your home town. Can't risk dropping your GPA at this point of the game.

Rant:
If I read this as an AdCom, I'd give you hmmm 0% chance from the get go to be admitted to a school. Why? Because it does not stand out one bit.

Premed society? Check. Volunteer? Check. Shadowing? Check.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but as a now sophomore? You should be figuring out who you are as a person. What YOU like to do, not what other premeds like to do.

Take Bio, OChem, and Physics. Work hard and force yourself to be on the ball with academics so you can put your best foot forward there. Join a club that you enjoy. any hobbies? passions to help a specific population? good at music? cook great food? interested in clinical research? how about translational medicine?

A premed society is helpful in some ways in preparation but in getting you in to medicine? I'd like to think otherwise!

Basically, go beyond the typical premed gimic and figure yourself out and have fun!

I really appreciate your advice. It sounds dumb, but I just don't know what I should be doing. The school I'm attending now is probably easier than the schools I was considering trying to apply to, but I'm worried about medical schools in that state not considering me because I'm not a resident(Texas is that state I'm a florida resident). The answer seems to be do what you like while getting the basics done?

I really appreciate your advice. It sounds dumb, but I just don't know what I should be doing. The school I'm attending now is probably easier than the schools I was considering trying to apply to, but I'm worried about medical schools in that state not considering me because I'm not a resident(Texas is that state I'm a florida resident). The answer seems to be do what you like while getting the basics done?

A premed society is an organization consisting of whiny, snotty, ignorant and unpleasant premeds who have nothing better to do but to stroke their egoes very forcefully and repeatedly until they acquire great satisfaction. So leave that group and find other groups that are more interesting for you, not what you should be doing as a premed.

Stick with the easier school and do better.

Work harder, and excel in the other pre-reqs.

Don't worry about the grades. If you show an excellent improvement, all As for the next few semesters it will look very appealing to schools. You are on the right track, stay in the premed club, they might hint you towards a good EC. Volunteering is big for some schools and do RESEARCH now! Honestly, the more research the better but make sure it is health related because that will really help you connect literature and clinic. Dont give up and no need to transfer.

You're not out of the game, but you will have to play a bit of catch-up GPA-wise in the next 2 years if you want a successful application.

I agree with other posters, you need to find some passions and follow them. Make your application a unique combination of interests. A few things I did that made my app unique, for example:

1. Biochemistry and Philosophy double major
2. Hip-hop choregrapher for a multicultural dance group
3. Snowboarder/videographer
4. 3 years of mixed research experience in OChem, Biochem and Mol Gen
5. 1000+ hours of patient contact while employed at a medical practice

I thoroughly enjoyed doing all of these things... I didn't do them just to improve my app. Find what you like, and do it...

... and get good grades too :)

I don't think you should be worry much about what medical schools want. You should know the standards: get strong grades, do well on the MCAT, have some EC's. But yes, above that you need to show that you can do ALL those things and still be unique. How? By not joining pre-med societies and joining a damn "Arts and Crafts for Underprivileged Regions" society if you are good at that and moreover, if you actually like to do arts and crafts!

A premed society is an organization consisting of whiny, snotty, ignorant and unpleasant premeds who have nothing better to do but to stroke their egoes very forcefully and repeatedly until they acquire great satisfaction. So leave that group and find other groups that are more interesting for you, not what you should be doing as a premed.

Stick with the easier school and do better.

Don't forget the t-shirts, Agent.

pre_med_major_gifts_t_shirt-r68e9263ffd46446d880038f150b96f57_va6lr_512.jpg

Don't forget the t-shirts, Agent.

pre_med_major_gifts_t_shirt-r68e9263ffd46446d880038f150b96f57_va6lr_512.jpg

I actually like those t-shirts. I'll walk into a bar wearing one and try to pick up sexy women by using premed pickup lines on them. I'll report back tonight on my success.

I actually like those t-shirts. I'll walk into a bar wearing one and try to pick up sexy women by using premed pickup lines on them. I'll report back tonight on my success.

Good opportunity to perfect your craft for an A+ performance on interview day. Keep your fingers crossed that the interviewers are all women ;)

Get your GPA up and ditch the premed club.

Ditching it isn't really necessary. I know at my school the AMSA branch is usually cool when it comes to hooking people up with internships or informing them of opportunities. Plus, there are leadership opportunities if one becomes an officer.

Good opportunity to perfect your craft for an A+ performance on interview day. Keep your fingers crossed that the interviewers are all women ;)

I sure hope so. I was at the bar tonight, but those women whom I approached were freaked out when I told them I was a premed and I aspire to become a doctor one day to take care of their "personal problems". Ultimately, the women sent random guys to pursue me and I barely escaped the bar alive. :scared::scared::scared:

I sure hope so. I was at the bar tonight, but those women whom I approached were freaked out when I told them I was a premed and I aspire to become a doctor one day to take care of their "personal problems". Ultimately, the women sent random guys to pursue me and I barely escaped the bar alive. :scared::scared::scared:

The first thing that probably came to their minds was a cold speculum in an uncomfortable place... specificity is key, good sir.