Bad grades in pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oceaner

Certified smartass
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do so hot in my freshman year due to various reasons (don't worry, no partying, just [undocumented] depression, and simple stress)... however, I took ALL of my med. pre-reqs during the freshman year (and the two left I am taking in the summer). So I am in the unfortunate situation where presumably my lowest grades are in my pre-reqs (since then I've buckled down, I realized my mistakes-- I am doing reasonably well in summer, and hopefully next year).

Out of 12 classes I have 4 As, 4 A-s, 3 Bs and 1 C (in calculus). This has put me at a 3.35 (difficult since I pretty much lost my scholarships/bursaries-- I think that worry just made it worse before the exams :( ) I intend to attend med school regardless of the setbacks. However, I am very worried that regardless of how well I do in the coming years in my courses this is going to haunt me.

So basically I am posting this for an reassurance that this won't have any huge reprecussions besides that it is very low, and second if there is any way to remedy the situation (can I take the C class again or something?).

Thanks for any help! :thumbup:

(Meanwhile if anyone has any ideas for begging at the feet of the scholarships/bursary comittee [if they even cared] I would love to hear it)

Members don't see this ad.

Out of 12 classes I have 4 As, 4 A-s, 3 Bs and 1 C (in calculus). This has put me at a 3.35
By my math, this puts you at a 3.48. I'm refraining from any jokes about your C in calculus....

By my math, this puts you at a 3.48. I'm refraining from any jokes about your C in calculus....
thanks, I expect some snark in response to this question, but I was kind of serious (I would make fun under regular conditions too)

The GPA is according to the transcript I received, I think they do their GPA based on the credits per course here since some courses have higher credit values.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, I expect some snark in response to this question, but I was kind of serious (I would make fun under regular conditions too)

The GPA is according to the transcript I received, I think they do their GPA based on the credits per course here since some courses have higher credit values.

Maybe your classes where you didnt do as well were worth more credits?

So basically I am posting this for an reassurance that this won't have any huge reprecussions besides that it is very low, and second if there is any way to remedy the situation (can I take the C class again or something?).
Get lots more A's and you'll be fine. You can retake the Calculus class, but it won't wipe out your previous grade or be forgiven unless you're applying to osteopathic schools. Best of luck...

thanks, I expect some snark in response to this question (I would say "look forward to life of flipping burgers" under regular conditions too), but I was kind of serious.
Ah. More credits for the classes you got the lower grades in. That makes sense.

The first post was meant to be a joke followed by my second post that contained an actual response. You type too quickly for me...

^ haha sorry, you guys quote too quick for me.

So would an improved mark not be considered in med school applications...? Actually since we're on the topic, do they calculate your GPA based on all the classes, or do they do that + a separate GPA for the pre-reqs.?

So would an improved mark not be considered in med school applications...? Actually since we're on the topic, do they calculate your GPA based on all the classes, or do they do that + a separate GPA for the pre-reqs.?

Dude, if you really want to be a physician, then you need to start finding these types of answers on your own.

Okay, now that I'm done being a dick, your application will show two major GPAs: cumulative undergrad and BCPM. The BCPM - biology, chemistry, physics, math - GPA is what people [erroneously] refer to as the "science GPA". That's the one all your prereqs will be added into.

I wouldn't even worry about the C in calculus. You passed. Get more A's in other BCPM courses (biochem, cell bio, etc.) and you'll be fine. ...or get an A in Calc II. But to answer your question, yes, an improved grade in a repeated course would indeed be considered. Both grades would be factored into your GPA's, but schools will also be able to see that you retook the course and received a better grade (you'd better get an A) the second time.

Best of luck,
-z

Dude, if you really want to be a physician, then you need to start finding these types of answers on your own.

hehe, thanks, I am def. going to talk to my advisor to see if my school shows 2nd time around grades on the transcript. I believe I could pull an A this time around.

ps. I am practicing being resourceful ;) (and/or lazy)

however, I took ALL of my med. pre-reqs during the freshman year (and the two left I am taking in the summer).

You mentioned that you have only 2 prereqs left (Orgo 1/2?). Does that mean you had a semester where you took Chem 1, Bio 1, Physics 1, and Calculus in one semester (supposing no AP/IB credit)? If I was an adcom member I'd certainly take that into consideration.

I would retake Calculus and with the semesters you have left, go a bit easier on yourself. Since you're quite ahead, I'd just do 2 hard science courses a semester + electives.

^ yeah both semesters were bio/chem/phys/calc/engl (I/II) respectively, I really had no choice, they were pre-reqs for my programs and I didn't have any AP credits since they were not offered in my region. I don't really blame the bad grades on the courseload, I just had poor time-management...

It's going to be pretty much the same way the next two years due to my major requirements... however, I have to take an additional arts courses for my minor. I am ... excited. :thumbup:

^ yeah both semesters were bio/chem/phys/calc/engl (I/II) respectively, I really had no choice, they were pre-reqs for my programs and I didn't have any AP credits since they were not offered in my region. I don't really blame the bad grades on the courseload, I just had poor time-management...

It's going to be pretty much the same way the next two years due to my major requirements... however, I have to take an additional arts courses for my minor. I am ... excited. :thumbup:

Are you a BME major or something?