bad grades in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Before I begin, let me just say that I'm a naive first semester college student (Bio BA -- I like it =)). I just got a B on my first general chemistry test (I knew the material backwards and forwards, the small mistakes got me). I'm just wondering what exactly constitutes a bad grade on my transcript in the eyes of adcoms? If I get a B in first semester chem, what of it? I know that the average applicant has a science GPA of 3.5. I'm just a little freaked because the material wasn't hard at all, yet I made a mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to relax. B's will not kill you. It is too early for you to start worrying about med school admissions. Just refine your study technique and work on getting more A's than B's and you will be fine.

Whoa big dog! First semester freshmen should NOT be posting on monday nights during football season. This anal this early isn't a good sign. I know you won't heed it, but my advice- delete any pre-med bookmarks, websites, etc and let it go until your second semester sophmore year. Concentrate on the grades, girls (or boys), and having some fun. Get into a hospital or two. Come back, get some info on applying and the MCAT and you'll be fine. Since you won't do any of this most likely, i'll say: a few Bs won't hurt, but don't make it a habit. --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
Great advice from Trek! Heed it. Enjoy your first two years. Do fun stuff. I have head that adcoms look closer at the LAST 2 years of undergrad anyway. Do you have any volunteer/research/extracurrics? If not, try and get something going.

"I have head"??? Heard. Sorry :D

Great post, Trek :)

If I had only not concentrated on fun for ALL four years, I'd be an MD already, lol - however, no matter what happens, never give up on the dream until YOU decide it's not your dream (which is okay too). You'll always find a way to make it happen.

b-real doesn't sound all that anal to me. Sounds more like s/he was looking for affirmation that it was OK NOT to stress over a B. Well b-real, it's OK not to stress.

Now if you guys want an example of a REAL anal freshman, check out the posts by Silver_eyes. That one worries me. Seriously. We might be talking professional help here...soon.