Bad idea to get LOR from a pharmacy resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it not a good idea to ask a current PGY2 pharmacy resident for a LOR?
I spend more time with the resident than I do with my preceptor. I round and work on patients with the resident, and I feel more comfortable with the resident as well.
Technically, residents are also licensed pharmacists. I'm not sure if it's not a good idea to get a LOR from a resident to apply for residency programs..

Members don't see this ad.

It'd still be better if you asked the preceptor, as long as you make sure to ask for a positive reference. You *could* ask the resident, but that kind of negatively insinuates you couldn't get any other rotation (assuming you're applying for PGY1) preceptor to write you a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it not a good idea to ask a current PGY2 pharmacy resident for a LOR?
I spend more time with the resident than I do with my preceptor. I round and work on patients with the resident, and I feel more comfortable with the resident as well.
Technically, residents are also licensed pharmacists. I'm not sure if it's not a good idea to get a LOR from a resident to apply for residency programs..

RPDs don't generally appear to consider PGY2s to be their peers in the same way they would consider other pharmacists to be their peers... I'd go with another LOR if I were you. I was in a similar situation when applying to residency and got the letter from my main preceptor--but the resident contributed to the letter as well I believe.

It's a credibility issue, and i know that PGY-1's cannot formally serve as preceptors so ill question the experience that writer actually had with the student.