Bad Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You always hear from people who feel their interviews went well and are naturally accepted to the program. Sometimes you'll see a post about someone who thought they did poorly but was accepted anyway!
Is there anyone around here who thought they did well on the interview and were not accepted? Or who knew the interview didn't go so hot and didn't get in as they suspected would be the case?
What do you think went wrong? For those who have had an interview, and then got a rejection letter... do you think you know why? I mean, won't most interviewers seem pretty nice just because that is the professional way to conduct an interview? How do you know if an interview went poorly???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ndearwater said:
You always hear from people who feel their interviews went well and are naturally accepted to the program. Sometimes you'll see a post about someone who thought they did poorly but was accepted anyway!
Is there anyone around here who thought they did well on the interview and were not accepted? Or who knew the interview didn't go so hot and didn't get in as they suspected would be the case?
What do you think went wrong? For those who have had an interview, and then got a rejection letter... do you think you know why? I mean, won't most interviewers seem pretty nice just because that is the professional way to conduct an interview? How do you know if an interview went poorly???

Whoa whoa whoa -- calm down and tell us what happened!

ndearwater said:

i dont think you can really tell if you're interview went poorly or not. the interviewer's are hard to read. i thought i absolutely bombed my interview, but somehow i got into the school. why did i think my interview went bad? i didnt talk too much and when i did say something, i said a lot of faulty information that they had to correct me for. but again, i got in :laugh: . it's a strange strange process.

my suggestion: after an interview, just do something you enjoy doing to take your mind off it and try and forget about it. as long as you've been yourself there's nothing else you could have tried to do to "persuade" them to accept you.

good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
marylandpharm said:
i dont think you can really tell if you're interview went poorly or not. the interviewer's are hard to read. i thought i absolutely bombed my interview, but somehow i got into the school. why did i think my interview went bad? i didnt talk too much and when i did say something, i said a lot of faulty information that they had to correct me for. but again, i got in :laugh: . it's a strange strange process.

my suggestion: after an interview, just do something you enjoy doing to take your mind off it and try and forget about it. as long as you've been yourself there's nothing else you could have tried to do to "persuade" them to accept you.

good luck :thumbup:

Were you the one talking about Drugs in Canada during a group interview?

Fatpharm said:
Were you the one talking about Drugs in Canada during the group interview?

haha. no, that wasn't me. i talked about tamiflu. apparently there was some news the day before that i didn't read up on. whatever :shrugs:

marylandpharm said:
haha. no, that wasn't me. i talked about tamiflu. apparently there was some news the day before that i didn't read up on. whatever :shrugs:

I know how you feel. My student interview was the worst because I tried to joke around a little with the interviewers and they just stared at me with no response like I was lame. It was a little intimidating. But, I got in as well so you never know.

b*rizzle said:
Whoa whoa whoa -- calm down and tell us what happened!

Hahaha :) No nothing happened. But I was searching the forum and saw an old post... someone made the comment, when everyone was talking about how their interviews went well, "everyone thinks their interview went well but not everyone who interviews can be accepted... so where are those people?" It just got me thinking... maybe what seems like a good interview isn't...
Bottom line- Im NERVOUS and IMPATIENT!
haha :)

ndearwater said:
Hahaha :) No nothing happened. But I was searching the forum and saw an old post... someone made the comment, when everyone was talking about how their interviews went well, "everyone thinks their interview went well but not everyone who interviews can be accepted... so where are those people?" It just got me thinking... maybe what seems like a good interview isn't...
Bottom line- Im NERVOUS and IMPATIENT!
haha :)

when is your interview at nova?! make sure you tell us how it goes!! :luck:

TOMORROW :) i will!

marylandpharm said:

Did they ask you about Tamiflu? Do they ask you specific questions about drugs? Or was it just an open ended topic that happened to come up?

freshbeatschris said:
Did they ask you about Tamiflu? Do they ask you specific questions about drugs? Or was it just an open ended topic that happened to come up?

no i just did. i have no idea why. it was something i knew very little about. i tend to say things to quickly before knowing what im saying. :oops:

I just interviewed at Mercer last Friday, and from my perspective it would have been hard to come out of it thinking I did poorly. The interviewers were all really nice, and it seemed to me like they were loving every word. Now, that either means that they actually enjoyed interviewing me and I did really well, or they wanted to make me feel that way so it wouldn't be awkward. At least at Mercer that's the impression I got. I suppose, though, if you went in and really had a terrible interview, they couldn't do that much to make you feel you are doing well.

Shovingit said:
I just interviewed at Mercer last Friday, and from my perspective it would have been hard to come out of it thinking I did poorly. The interviewers were all really nice, and it seemed to me like they were loving every word. Now, that either means that they actually enjoyed interviewing me and I did really well, or they wanted to make me feel that way so it wouldn't be awkward. At least at Mercer that's the impression I got. I suppose, though, if you went in and really had a terrible interview, they couldn't do that much to make you feel you are doing well.

I remember you! This is Janna, we sat next to each other at the beginning of the day... anyway, I totally agree with you. I felt really, really confident after my interview at Mercer; in the past, at job interviews & at my only pharmacy interview last year at UGA, I have always looked back and thought that I could have changed an answer or added to/deleted from something I said. After my Mercer interview, I feel like I gave it everything I had & I wouldn't change anything. All of the students I talked to that day, as well as my faculty interviewer, gave me nothing but a positive vibe. That being said, I have stopped trying to analyze the day & I am just waiting for my decision; hopefully, this will pay off & I'll get in; if not, I feel like I may never get in. By the way, just as a sidenote to the interview I mentioned before, I felt like I had a good interview, but not a great interview, & I ended up being waitlisted & didn't get in (even though I was told I was only about 5-10 spots from getting in).

One of my interviews was at a pharmacy school very close to my house, and at one point the conversation with one of the faculty members developed into talking about local bars and happy hour. Thats when you know the interview is going well :thumbup: