Bad marks in O chem 1 and Biochemistry 2? Dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c_97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in my third year, going into fourth year and I'm getting ready to apply to a canadian dental school soon. I have all the minimum requirements in terms of averages and such, but I did really bad in 2 prereq courses. I am over 11% above what the minimum prereq average needs to be out of all my prereqs, but I still am worried about two of my marks. I have around 5 A's, 1 B, 3 A+s, and 2 D's (I know this is terrible, I don't know what I did wrong. One is in o chem 1 (53) and the other in biochem 2 (56)) I have one more prereq course to take but I think it should go well so i'm not worried about that. The school doesn't need a specific prereq mark for the individual classes, just a mean overall which I have met. Do you think I even have a chance with those 2 D's? I'm really stressing. Do schools immediately eliminate people with two bad grades like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Ochem is a prerequisite course to virtually every dental program in the great US&A and Canada. Dental schools want to see a "C" / "B" (depending on schools) letter grade or higher in prerequisite courses. Biochem is also a prerequisite course to some dental school programs, hence you also need to receive a "C" / "B" or higher. In other words, you would have to retake those classes. While the 1 odd program you're applying to may not have minimum requirements, putting all your beans in one taco instead of evenly distributing them among the other tacos is a poor strategy.