Should I take 1 quarter or 2 quarters of biochemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighHopesHere

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school (UG) offers a 1 quarter biochem course which isn't as hard as the 2 quarter series biochem. I'm not confident in my ability to get an A in the series offering. The thing is, some dental schools ask for just 4 credits (1 quarter), while some ask for "Half-year". I don't know if 1 quarter satisfies the half-year requirement. Then theres a 3rd case, where schools ask for 5 credits, meaning I'd have to take a 2nd biochem course just to satisfy the 1 missing credit, which might hurt me more than it'll help me if I get anything below an A.

What would you suggest I take?

Edit: On ADEA it says "Some dental schools will substitute one semester of biochemistry for the second semester of organic chemistry." I'm not certain to which schools this applies to because I haven't found anything so far.
Edit 2: clarification

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My school offers a 1 quarter biochem course which isn't as hard as the 2 quarter series biochem. I'm not confident in my ability to get an A in the series offering. The thing is, some schools ask for just 4 credits (1 quarter), while some ask for "Half-year". I don't know if 1 quarter satisfies the half-year requirement. Then theres a 3rd case, where schools ask for 5 credits, meaning I'd have to take a 2nd biochem course just to satisfy the 1 missing credit, which might hurt me more than it'll help me if I get anything below an A.

A one- quarter course is not equivalent to the number of credits the med schools ask for, 3 credit hours on the semester system.
The equivalent would be 4.5 quarter hours. Unfortunately you should probably take the 2-course series.

My school offers a 1 quarter biochem course which isn't as hard as the 2 quarter series biochem. I'm not confident in my ability to get an A in the series offering. The thing is, some schools ask for just 4 credits (1 quarter), while some ask for "Half-year". I don't know if 1 quarter satisfies the half-year requirement. Then theres a 3rd case, where schools ask for 5 credits, meaning I'd have to take a 2nd biochem course just to satisfy the 1 missing credit, which might hurt me more than it'll help me if I get anything below an A.

I am confused by the references to schools. Undergrad? CC? Med or professional schools?

Just saying, @wysdoc is correct.