bad rep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which dental schools have a reputation of not being clinically or academically up to par? I've heard Creighton has a bad perio dept.

Members don't see this ad.

You know Rob...

I strongly believe EVERY dental school has their own downs and/or department(s) that they can always improve.

U.S. dental schools are not like U.S. medical schools, where professional ranking companies or services ranked them based on certain factors!

Every dental school is unique and has its own characteristics and personality. You must find what fits your needs and personality.

For those dental schools that aren't up to par in certain academic aspects, ADA will adjust their accreditation accordingly. If you look at the ADA web site, you will not find too many dental schools that aren't fully accredited (excluding the newer dental schools).

I hope to see you emphasize on the positive aspects in various dental schools during your application process in leu to the negatives, cause I can tell you one thing, there is no such dental schools here in the U.S. that has a "perfect" reputation for everything!

If you talk to any current dental students at any dental school, I can guarantee you that they will tell you about something that their school lack or something that they don't like!

Good luck to you and hope you find your "best fit" school!

:cool:

I agree. I wouldn't put too much weight in rumors of bad rep among the schools. I think as long as it's accredited then, that's all that matters. When you think about it, most students only attend one school so how can they compare schools at all? How can they evaluate a program when that's all they've been exposed to? Sure you go to the interviews and see the schools but you can't base an opinion on just that one day. I think the only fair thing you can use to compare schools are their results on the boards. Is their some kind of listing for that other than asking individual schools for their results?

Members don't see this ad :)
One cannot assume that gratuating from a so called prestige dental school with high national board scores will translate into possession of excellent clincal skills. I've heard a couple of stories told to me by someone working on the front lines at a certain post grad program which might shatter some folks' preconceptions. Don't rely too much on those perceived school reputations. Check out the whole package, choose the best fit for yourself, and then make the most of your opportunities (which will be the most important factor in determining your long term success anyway)

I think the original post was interested in hearing some of the unique characteristics that some schools have. The poster asked what schools with great reps might actually be lacking in some area that most applicants overlook. (ie. great research programs, but a lack of emphasis on clinical skills). But we can also ask, what schools without the prestigious reputations have some bright sides to their programs, and hat are those bright sides.

Groundhog:
You say you?ve heard stories from someone on the inside, which would ?shatter some folks' preconceptions? on a given school. Well what school is it? This is exactly what the original post asked when he mentions he ?heard? Creighton had a bad perio department.

Hysteria,
The purpose of my post was to discourage dental school hopefulls from placing too much value on background hype and clutter (school reputation, average board scores, etc). First be proud that you get into dental school (no small feat) and then concentrate on making the most of the opportunities you are subsequently handed. Repeating myself, your personal efforts and not the school you attend will most determine your long term success.

I understand what you are saying, and agree. However when researching schools, the things that most people read first, and most often are ?school reputation, average board scores, etc.? Yet these are the things you say to stay clear of. This info is all over the place, in every dental school publication, and admissions book. I find it is very hard to get a sense of the school without visiting it, or talking to other people that know about it.

The original poster probably has read about the school (Creighton) a dozen times seeing the same info each time. Now he/she is asking if anyone can give info beyond printed material. That?s where we all come in. Granted the question could have been phrased a little more positively by asking which schools, that don?t necessarily have prestigious reputations, have good perks to their programs. Weather it be research or clinical, tell us stuff we cant read.

Which brings me to your inside information again. It is info like that that I believe this original post wants to know. I?m not saying your info specifically, but first hand info from sdn members. Cut through reputations and share some insight on the truth behind the programs at different schools.

You say:
?Check out the whole package, choose the best fit for yourself.?

Word, but we need the WHOLE package.

The Creighton rumor also appears in an old thread. Somehow, this one post, which had no facts backing it has been raised to status of urban legend. It's garbage. I was going to attend Creighton until I got off the waitlist at Michigan. That comment had no impact on me whatsoever because there were no facts supporting it. I don't think you should put any weight into what a dental student says about a program because the student is being exposed to these disciplines for the first time. All of a sudden, this person is an expert and can rate programs?! That's nonsense. It's not like spotting a bad toupee. However, if a top periodontist came out and said the exact same thing, of course, there's a little more credibility to it. As long as a school is accredited, who's to say they aren't doing an adequate job of teaching?

Originally posted by space kacy
The Creighton rumor also appears in an old thread. Somehow, this one post, which had no facts backing it has been raised to status of urban legend. It's garbage. I was going to attend Creighton until I got off the waitlist at Michigan. That comment had no impact on me whatsoever because there were no facts supporting it. I don't think you should put any weight into what a dental student says about a program because the student is being exposed to these disciplines for the first time. All of a sudden, this person is an expert and can rate programs?! That's nonsense. It's not like spotting a bad toupee. However, if a top periodontist came out and said the exact same thing, of course, there's a little more credibility to it. As long as a school is accredited, who's to say they aren't doing an adequate job of teaching?

Hey...I am an expert. My frickin old man is a part time professor there. So PEACEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Okay, well why the hell didn't you say so? I don't know these things. Who am I...Miss Cleo with my fake jamaican accent and see all tarot cards? By the way, it's nice to see that you hold your dad in such high regard by referring to him as "frickin old man". I, myself, would've gone with Dr. "frickin old man". You have to give him his props. Keeping it REEEEEEAL

Who am I...Miss Cleo with my fake jamaican accent and see all tarot cards? [/B]

LOL:laugh: :laugh: , that def deserves a Ba-HAAH