Bad Resident!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suzi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you deal with crapy residents? I feel like my OB experience is going down the tube because I have an insecure resident who gets slammed by the attendings, so he takes it out on the med students.

the other day he made me look like crap in front of the attending for a mistake he made. I kept my mouth shut but I feel like saying seomething. Will going over him and complaining to an attending break the chain of command and make me look worse in the end? Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Members don't see this ad.

suzi said:
How do you deal with crapy residents? I feel like my OB experience is going down the tube because I have an insecure resident who gets slammed by the attendings, so he takes it out on the med students.

the other day he made me look like crap in front of the attending for a mistake he made. I kept my mouth shut but I feel like saying seomething. Will going over him and complaining to an attending break the chain of command and make me look worse in the end? Has anyone else had to deal with this?
take the hit and do a sub-i somewhere else, hope for the best with that one.

suzi said:

Don't worry too much about it...usually the people who are evaluating you can see through some of the crap. It is sad that you have to work with this person, but if there is any way for you to make a better impression on another resident or distance yourself from this person, I would go that route. I wouldn't complain to a 'higher up' until the rotation is over if you feel that is needed and that really depends on the attitude of the person you are complaining to. Ok, I have babble enough...sorry. Good luck and keep your head up!

Complaining to a higher up right now would make you look bad, unfortunately. I agree with the others -- try to work with other residents, just keep quiet and try to make the best of it if possible. If he continues to be a problem throughout your rotation with him, talk to your course director, especially if he/she seems approachable and friendly. Just remember that if you make a complaint, you're going to have to stick to emotion-free facts -- the last thing they want to hear is a personality conflict. I'm not saying that's what is going on -- just make sure you don't present it that way. Good luck.