Dropping away rotation - how bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled for a SubI at a program I'm very interested in in November. It was the only spot they could offer me back in August and, after talking to some people, I decided to take it (a decision I regret now). I know it'll look bad to miss days for interviews... but since most interview dates are in November/early December, I'll practically have 2 weeks to interview all over the country. Anyway, I'm thinking it would be best to drop this rotations. How bad will that look? will it look worse than having to miss many days? I've been in touch with the scheduling person and she knows me by name. I will be calling to explain my situation. I want to be honest in my reason for dropping the rotation... but what's the best way I can word "I want to interview at as many schools as I can and this rotation will be getting in the way of that." I understand that everything said here is personal opinion but it would be helpful to know what others would do in this situation. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Like I've said in another thread, we're not talking "a few days". Almost all programs have the majority of their interview days in November for OB.

I would call up and speak to the program coordinator directly. That's what I did when I declined an offer a few months ago due to it being in November. I called her and told her I was really interested in the program but I didn't think I could take the November elective since that's when the majority of interviews were. She was understanding about it and put me on the wait list for a September elective which I ended up getting. This is a little different since you've already accepted and are now rescinding, but I think you can claim that you didn't realize how clustered interview days are and since doing some research you'd rather give the spot to another student who can be more dedicated to the elective. Or something. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies!
I have the chance to move the rotation back to Dec. 1-19th. Do you guys think this will be any better as far as interview dates go. My impression is that there are more Nov. than Dec. interview dates.